Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I took my 2011 Toyota Sienna SE (114k miles) to the dealership for the Takata air bag and sliding door recalls. They performed an inspection and strongly recommended the following:

• Replace front lower control arms (bushings cracking) - $1796
  • Replace front lower ball joints (leaking grease) - $741
  • Alignment - $125
Is this type of work common at this point for my 2011 Toyota Sienna SE with 114k miles? Any recommendations?

I plan to shop around at independent dealers, but wanted to get some thoughts with all you smart folks :).

Thanks!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Is there any way you could post up pics of the bushings and grease coming out of the ball joints? Is there a break down of parts and labour to do these jobs?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just check the parts by yourself or a trusted mechanic. Sometimes you just have to say no and assume the liability.
$2662 is obscene. Guessing two hours labor, and that generous. Watch a couple videos of it being done.
Lower control arms @ rock auto
Update: Your posting made me ponder the control arms on my 99. The rear bushings need attention. On mine it's more of a quality of ride issue than safety. No rush. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone!

I took my 2011 Toyota Sienna SE (114k miles) to the dealership for the Takata air bag and sliding door recalls. They performed an inspection and strongly recommended the following:

• Alignment - $125
Is this type of work common at this point for my 2011 Toyota Sienna SE with 114k miles? Any recommendations?

I plan to shop around at independent dealers, but wanted to get some thoughts with all you smart folks :).

Thanks!
And this is why we call them "stealerships"
BTW, I suspect the bushings are perfectly fine. I'd expect at over 200k, you would start getting into major suspension component replacements in most cases. Cracking on the bushings would not bother me much. A quick glance at rockauto...looks like arms with joints would set you back less than 150 shipped. Probably more than 2 hrs labor for most folks. And, you will probably need to go somewhere for an alignment. Not a simple job, but some help from youtube and you would save literally thousands.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got scammed by an independent who wanted $5500 for control arms, bushings, CVJ joints (both sides); I declined; drove it to Pep boys; they quoted $3500 for the same work; it was a 2006 Sienna XLE with 104,000 miles;
dropped it off at Pepboys at 7a.m. and they finished all work by 11a.m. with a single tech working on the van.

I got all used parts except the CVJ joints (I could see those were fried while on the car). I think I got taken to the cleaners on the bushings and control arms;

the tech told me that the new control arms and bushings would make the steering tighter;
neither my wife nor I noticed a difference in steering following the $3500 repair.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi everyone!

• Alignment - $125

Thanks!
You need to get another estimate from a independent shop. Should do better that what the dealer is charging.
Did they really do a thorough inspection of them or just go on age of vehicle or mileage on vehicle?
Try to make sure the new ones have fitting so to lube them. Sure make them last longer. Look at some after market ones and some are better than the dealers parts, anyway. Some parts have life time warranty.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The ball joint comes as part of the FLCA, you can't even buy it separately. It's weird that it's a separate line item -- could you say "nah, I don't want the ball joint" and just pay for the FLCA replacement? You'll get a new ball joint in there anyway with the new arm, it's like you're saving $700!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to replace some suspension parts, i.e. control arm, sway bar links, shocks etc. I bought through amazon warehouse and saved a lot of money. Buy the parts you need then just take it to an independent mechanic,a good one. Usually the dealerships recommend things but they don't even really check the vehicle. good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I took my 2014 XLE in with 50,000 KM, they said both LCAs needed to be replaced. Luckily I have that Platinum warranty thing for 7 years. Maybe they just did it so they get $ from the warranty?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chiming in a bit late, but I just had both front lower control arms replaced, plus a front-end alignment, all for $860. (I have nearly 115K on my 2011 LE.) My regular shop quoted $1,200 for the same work. Shop hours estimate is the big variable here -- local shop said 8.5 hours, the shop that did the work said 6. The official manual on how to do this is to completely remove the engine, which is unnecessary. Most shops just jack the engine up enough to provide access. But dealerships will take you for every dime. YMMV, but I use Openbay to bid out big jobs like this and get a range of estimates. Worth it to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts