Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help. My Upper glove compartment on the passenger side dash will not "self" rise when clicked open... Did a Spring break or a part pop off? Can I fix it some how? Thank you folks! Can someone please help! Thank yoU!
-Joe

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have the same problem. What beats me is that the upper glove box is hardly used. We just have the Sienna manuals and couple of papers in all 5+ years of ownership, the box has not been opened more than 40 times.

When the button is pressed to open the lid, it falls down and the remains open barely an inch or so. Does anyone know if it is spring loaded and if it is possible to access the springs without removing it from the dash?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Fixed

The glove box needs to come out for this fix. Removing it is straightforward, instructions on Page 6 of this pdf at http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT545-00082instSienna.pdf

The glove box has two springs, one on each side. The one on the right (looking from the front) was loose. The plastic on both hinges also had cracks, probably plastic fatigue. Took some effort but pushed the spring in a slot and its working as designed.

Took around 25 minutes from start to finish

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fixed

The glove box needs to come out for this fix. Removing it is straightforward, instructions on Page 6 of this pdf at http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT545-00082instSienna.pdf

The glove box has two springs, one on each side. The one on the right (looking from the front) was loose. The plastic on both hinges also had cracks, probably plastic fatigue. Took some effort but pushed the spring in a slot and its working as designed.

Took around 25 minutes from start to finish
Thanks for this. I've been dealing with the same issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happened to our 2011 Sienna SE around four years ago. I called Toyota and they told me that there's no recall for it unless more people complain about this problem. I was going to fix it, but when I saw that the panel won't come off easily, I put them back together. At first it was stuck in the open position, but now it is in the closed position after trying to move it several times. Come on Toyota, don't let your quality put you down!

·
Registered
339 Posts
We now have the same issue again. Since it was last fixed in June last year, the box has probably not been opened more than 7-8 times. This morning opened it to remove the old registration papers and the darn cover just fell back. I bet the crack has opened up. I'll call Toyota tomorrow and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got the same issue. Based on what I read here, I presume the pressure of a compressed spring on the closed door over time breaks whatever not-substantial-enough piece of plastic it presses against. Seems like a design flaw to me. I'd love to see directions for removing the upper storage compartment, but the link in the conversation above doesn't work. Does anyone have directions they can post? (It's not evident exactly what has to come out to remove the storage compartment, and I'd rather not just start aimlessly tearing my dash apart.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just had the same issue with my glovebox: I stumbled upon this product on amazon

I wonder if this would help me get a permanent solution

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just had the same issue with my glovebox: I stumbled upon this product on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Astro-7600-Staple-Plastic-Repair/dp/B0096PGOOQ/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=plastic+welder&qid=1553269371&s=gateway&sr=8-16

I wonder if this would help me get a permanent solution
Yes, it should.

I have the same issue again and i am positive, the crack has openend up further causing the spring to pop out. I'll see if the dealer will do it as part of my extended warranty when the glove box comes off for the Takata fix. If not, then I might be going the "plastic weld" route.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, it should.

I have the same issue again and i am positive, the crack has openend up further causing the spring to pop out. I'll see if the dealer will do it as part of my extended warranty when the glove box comes off for the Takata fix. If not, then I might be going the "plastic weld" route.
I kind of want to buy it but tbh, I dont think Ill use it on anything else......... and I dont want to be the guy that buys this product, uses it and then returns it.
Ill go with the cheap route using plastic weld epoxy and if that fails Ill get this tool

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same thing just happen to my upper glove box, it's a 2011 Sienna with 118k. But we do use that glove box a lot. The lid won't stay up and the bottom latch won't engage so now it's hanging down but not shut. Will use these instructions to help tear it apart and see what's going on. Will post back with findings.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are hairline cracks near both springs. But the bigger problem is the latch won't lock. When I try to close the lid, the hook pushes against the latch I can see the latch moving to the side but instead of only moving laterally it backs off a few mm so it doesn't click on the lid's hook. I am guessing a part is missing from the latch mechanism. Does anyone have a part number for the whole upper box?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
There are hairline cracks near both springs. But the bigger problem is the latch won't lock. When I try to close the lid, the hook pushes against the latch I can see the latch moving to the side but instead of only moving laterally it backs off a few mm so it doesn't click on the lid's hook. I am guessing a part is missing from the latch mechanism. Does anyone have a part number for the whole upper box?
55042B DOOR SUB-ASSY, INSTRUMENT PANEL BOX, NO.2
55042-08010-B0 LT.GRAY, TRIM1* 1
55042-08010-E0 GREGE, TRIM4* 1

·
Registered
49 Posts
55042B DOOR SUB-ASSY, INSTRUMENT PANEL BOX, NO.2
55042-08010-B0 LT.GRAY, TRIM1* 1
55042-08010-E0 GREGE, TRIM4* 1
Thanks, looks like partznet has it for 281, kind of pricey. Maybe it can be jerry-rigged. I can live with lid falling down but the latch not working is an eyesore.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fixed, sort of. My wife came up with the idea of inserting a piece of cardboard behind the latch. This kept the latch from "backing out". It now latches fine. But the hinge/spring still won't open or stay up. Put everything back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts