Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Maybe the reason is senility that I can't seem remember that it's not possible to look up vehicles on a U.S. or Canadian Toyota or Lexus distributor corporate website other than the one that originally distributed them. I apologize for suggesting the Toyota USA VIN look up for a Canadian market Sienna. And as far as Toyota is concerned, Hawaii isn't even part of the U.S. ... or Puerto Rico. And the U.S. Virgin Islands is serviced by Toyota Puerto Rico instead of Toyota USA. Very confusing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK more photos. I cleaned the area a bit. Looks steel/metal to me. Definitely solid after tapping it. I think this is the end of my story (correct me if i'm wrong) and hopefully i have the necessary parts on my van for towing up to 3500 lbs minus the hitch, wiring etc of course.

Thanks for everyone's help. Hopefully this also helps other Sienna owners.

·
Registered
583 Posts
You have the updated cooler lines. 100%. You have a bit of a oil leak . :)
That other thing you pointed out in the picture is a electrical connector. A\F sensor. I do believe all Canadian models have the towing package. It was that way in the first couple GEN.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I do believe all Canadian models have the towing package. It was that way in the first couple GEN.
Oh, that's a tough one. I distinctly remember posts/complaints on this forum from owners of Canadian market 2015 non-LE Sienna AWD who said that theirs didn't have the tow prep package - same as non-LE 2015 Sienna AWD sold in the U.S.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
I've come to view all published papers about what model received what parts as merely a "suggestion". The only definitive proof is in physical inspection!

But to the OP, you look good to tow! Be safe out there.

Reactions: floridanative

·
Registered
44 Posts
IIRC, 2011 was the last year that the oil cooler had hybrid steel / rubber hoses between the heat exchanger and the ...(snip)...
If I could jump in on the OP one second.

ok so this Info had me searching the forum for about an hour. If you would clarify fibber, chances are my 2011 XLE FWD (if equipped with an oil cooler which I believe it does from memories of a tow package listed on the sticker) probably has these stinking hybrid hoses? Seems most people here mention Gen2. Someone then said thru 2013.

A failure sounds absolutely horrible! is the only way to really know what I have mean I have to somehow shove this blob of a geriatric body under my van to take a look?

Any idea on the service hit to replace out of pocket since they... “haven’t failed yet?”

Can’t believe I even wrote that:rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
The cost to replace the oil cooler hybrid lines with the all metal ones is usually less than $250. Any independent mechanic can do this. I am an old shade tree mechanic and I did it at home. The trick is to remove a couple of the studs using a Torx bit. This makes it much easier to install the new piece as the metal lines don't bend like the old rubber lines. Pass that tip on to your mechanic.
The part itself costs under $100. I bought mine on eBay from a dealer with both gaskets for about $75 a couple of years ago. I just looked and there are many both OEM and aftermarket available for between $48 and $100. All include the gaskets.

If they fail while driving your engine will be dead by the time the oil warning light comes on because it will pump the oil out that fast when the hose bursts. Replace it now if you have the old rubber one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The window sticker on the vehicle VIN when new is available from many web sources for a few $. The sticker shows tow package if it was included.
you have to install a trailer hitch and wiring, the tow package does not include trailer hitch or wiring. Usually I’ve had this done by UHaul but oddly they can’t do the wiring as their wiring harness doesn’t work with at least my 2008 Sienna.
See etrailer for a correct trailer wiring harness, as I installed on mine.
Hint from my experience: Have enough of the yellow wire out the left taillight mount to easily plug-unplug the taillight BEFORE you stick-mount the controller in the jack compartment. I stuck the controller a bit higher than necessary and with yellow wire at top which made yellow wire to left taillight almost too short.

·
Registered
2012 Sienna SE
5 Posts
Yes and no.... It's complicated, and the data is misleading.

The 'main' element in the Tow Package is the Engine Oil Cooler. However, if you go thru the fine print there is talk about a higher capacity radiator with possibly a larger transmission oil cooler within. Some say ALL North America vans get the big radiator, so say otherwise.
Had to replace radiator on 2012 SE after deer hit. 1800Radiator had 2 options 5/8 or 1 inch core. Went with one inch (Roughly $120). As we have an aftermarket Curt Hitch. We towed small enclosed trailer (roughly 1100) Cross country twice with smaller radiator and were fine. Now after 140k miles getting a bigger radiator and front face upgrade to 2020.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Clarifying some confusion:

The engine oil cooler made it's introduction along with the 2GR-FE engine in 2007. All 2007 Gen-II vans had it (along with a 3,500 TW), but then Toyota shaved a few bucks by making it optional or part of a trim or package from 2008 on.

Gen-II (2007 - 2010) vans, if equipped, would have the hybrid rubber & metal assembly with the problematic rubber.

The Gen-III (2011) van (also with the 2GR-FE engine) was also 'blessed' with this timebomb.

Late in that model year, Toyota switched to the all-metal line assembly. The new assembly will fit any 2007-2011 engine.

I took and compiled these images last weekend on my 2015 to show you what the all-metal assembly looks like. I took them from up top, so no, you don't have to crawl underneath to see it.

Reactions: copydoc

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The window sticker on the vehicle VIN when new is available from many web sources for a few $. The sticker shows tow package if it was included.
The window sticker shows the tow prep package only when it was an extra cost option. The tow prep package was standard equipment on my 2014 Sienna Limited FWD and is not shown on the window sticker.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
tick... tick... tick...

Reactions: copydoc
21 - 34 of 34 Posts