Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

2011 Sienna V6 LE FWD - Do I Have a Towing Package?

14K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  copydoc 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2011 Sienna V6 LE FWD. I was looking to buy a tent trailer and started reading all the confusion on the forum regarding the towing package. I visited the local dealer here in Edmonton, Alberta with the same questions as many of you and here's the story i received. Can someone with more knowledge let me know if the dealer's story make sense.

First, i talked to the service department and my experience mimics other people's thoughts, they are useless. They showed me some kind of spec sheet showing all the 2011 Sienna's delivered to Canada have the towing package but it seemed like the V4 ones had the package as well. I asked for a mechanic to show me the transmission coolant and they said they would charge me 1/2 hour shop time to lift the van on the hoist. Pathetic. They couldn't/wouldn't provide me any specific information on my van using my VIN number.

Then i went over to the parts department and asked them similar questions. They said that the transmission cooler is part of the radiator and not a separate part. Something along that line anyways. There were two people and the 2nd guy was a higher up (lack of a better word) parts manager who seemed to understand my questions and had answers. They printed some info for me that i have attached. The first page shows the radiator assembly (i think). The 2nd page shows what is available for the 2011 Sienna in general as a replacement radiator. The 3rd page shows the replacement radiator when they enter my vehicle's VIN number and filter the search.

So basically, that 3rd page shows (or at least what they are telling me) that to replace the radiator i have you need the one where the usage is "2GRFE..GSL30;2GRFE..GSL35..LE,XLE:TOWING PACKAGE FOR 3500LBS.

Does this confirm that my vehicle has the towing package? If anyone has any comments about what i was told, it would be greatly appreciated. Don't mean to beat the topic to death but it seems many people have questions so why not post another experience. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The transmission cooler is INSIDE the radiator. And checking the transmission fluid is easiest done on a lift. So those parts are indeed true.

You are thinking of the Engine Oil Cooler. The assembly on a 2011 is very similar to this:

#4 ·
Yes and no.... It's complicated, and the data is misleading.

The 'main' element in the Tow Package is the Engine Oil Cooler. However, if you go thru the fine print there is talk about a higher capacity radiator with possibly a larger transmission oil cooler within. Some say ALL North America vans get the big radiator, so say otherwise.

#30 ·
Yes and no.... It's complicated, and the data is misleading.

The 'main' element in the Tow Package is the Engine Oil Cooler. However, if you go thru the fine print there is talk about a higher capacity radiator with possibly a larger transmission oil cooler within. Some say ALL North America vans get the big radiator, so say otherwise.
Had to replace radiator on 2012 SE after deer hit. 1800Radiator had 2 options 5/8 or 1 inch core. Went with one inch (Roughly $120). As we have an aftermarket Curt Hitch. We towed small enclosed trailer (roughly 1100) Cross country twice with smaller radiator and were fine. Now after 140k miles getting a bigger radiator and front face upgrade to 2020.

#5 ·
OK so maybe a fair point to say is that they're telling me that i have the higher capacity radiator and that's about it.

I have attached a couple of pictures below but based on your pics it seems like i would need to insert my phone inside to get a glimpse of what you are trying to show me or even take a picture from underneath?

#9 ·
Yep, you've got the oil cooler. The white sheathed lines going off to the right carry engine coolant to that drum to remove excess heat from the oil.

Reactions: SilverMachine
#10 ·
And since your have a 2011 LE on which the tow prep package was optional, you should be able to see it on the options list if you look up the VIN at Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners

In model years and on trims (LE, XLE, etc.) in which the tow prep package is standard, it does not show on the Vehicle Specification lookup since only optional features show on it.

The tow prep package apparently was fairly rare on 2011 Sienna LE sold in the U.S. although maybe it was more common on Canadian market models. I once looked up the VIN's for every 2011 and 2012 Sienna LE that I found on an online service (e.g. eBay, cars.com) and found very few with the tow prep package.

#12 ·
And since your have a 2011 LE on which the tow prep package was optional, you should be able to see it on the options list if you look up the VIN at Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners
Thanks for the link to check options via the VIN. It seems that my '04 LE has the tow prep package. The following is shown:
Tow Prep Package Includes: Heavy Duty Radiator,Fan,150 amp Alt & Power Steering Oil Cooler Engine Immobilizer

What exactly is the Engine Immobilizer? The dealer had installed an alarm on the vehicle - would that be it? Or is there another alarm that was preinstalled?

#11 ·
Oh, and at this time I should add the following warning! IIRC, 2011 was the last year that the oil cooler had hybrid steel / rubber hoses between the heat exchanger and the filter area.

On the left is the Original Equipment hybrid system, and on the right is the updated replacement part. The rubber fails, and can quickly destroy your engine. Toyota issued service bulletins and warranty extensions to cover the replacement, but I think they have all timed out now (10 years). If you still have the hybrid assembly (and I think I see that in your upper set of pictures), now is the time to change it!

#27 ·
IIRC, 2011 was the last year that the oil cooler had hybrid steel / rubber hoses between the heat exchanger and the ...(snip)...
If I could jump in on the OP one second.

ok so this Info had me searching the forum for about an hour. If you would clarify fibber, chances are my 2011 XLE FWD (if equipped with an oil cooler which I believe it does from memories of a tow package listed on the sticker) probably has these stinking hybrid hoses? Seems most people here mention Gen2. Someone then said thru 2013.

A failure sounds absolutely horrible! is the only way to really know what I have mean I have to somehow shove this blob of a geriatric body under my van to take a look?

Any idea on the service hit to replace out of pocket since they... “haven’t failed yet?”

Can’t believe I even wrote that:rolleyes:

#14 ·
Geezer1 thanks for the link but this site unfortunately only works for US residents. After you enter the VIN it asks you to locate a dealership with a Zip Code not a Postal Code (Canada). Basically you can't get the vehicle's history because you are stuck at this step.

The only info i could find using my VIN was this:
Model: 2011 Sienna
Driver Type: 2WD
Grade: SIENNA LE V6 8-PASS 6A
Transmission: AUTOMATIC
Exterior: Alpine White(040)
Selling Dealer:
Interior: Cloth
Preferred Dealer: None Selected
Engine:
Date of First Use: April 14, 2011

At the "Port or Factory Installed Equipment" and "Standard Installation Equipment" sections, nothing is listed.

#16 ·
Geezer1 thanks for the link but this site unfortunately only works for US residents. After you enter the VIN it asks you to locate a dealership with a Zip Code not a Postal Code (Canada). Basically you can't get the vehicle's history because you are stuck at this step.
I wonder what would happen if you spoofed it by entering a US border town zip code?

#18 ·
Well i entered a US Zip Code (thaks Walla Walla, WA) but there isn't much more information on the site. Definitely nothing on the tow package or oil cooler issues. There are a bunch of manuals to download. The only thing listed under recalls is the Takata Airbag Recall which we had taken care of up here in Canada as well.

#19 ·
fibber2 just to clarify, in the pictures below i believe these are the two sheathed/ribbed hoses you are talking about? Is it literally the hoses that need to be replaced only? The oil cooler is fine? I saw some videos discussions about the o-ring on the oil cooler failing and spewing oil?

Also this video seems to literally describe the step by step replacement of these hoses and the guy even uses the all metal replacement. Can anyone confirm? I'm not comfortable doing this myself so i'll probably go to a trusted mechanic who i have. BTW the dealership i went to (i did not purchase the vehicle here but it is closer to my home) claimed i had an oil leak a year ago and wanted to charge me $3,000 to fix. Then i went to the trusted mechanic and he said they're lying to you. So i'm hesitant to get this fixed at Toyota. Any reason why i should go to a Toyota mechanic?

Also i kind of mentioned in the 2nd picture about this hopefully being grease. It's quite black and smeary but hey since i'm asking a world of questions.

Anyways here's the pics:

Attachments

#20 ·
In the initial dark pictures I saw the transition from bright to dark, and assumed that was black rubber. Instead, it looks like oil/grime covered corrugated steel. Wipe it down and be sure, but from these photos it looks like you do have the latest (all-steel) assembly.

Reactions: SilverMachine
#21 ·
Maybe the reason is senility that I can't seem remember that it's not possible to look up vehicles on a U.S. or Canadian Toyota or Lexus distributor corporate website other than the one that originally distributed them. I apologize for suggesting the Toyota USA VIN look up for a Canadian market Sienna. And as far as Toyota is concerned, Hawaii isn't even part of the U.S. ... or Puerto Rico. And the U.S. Virgin Islands is serviced by Toyota Puerto Rico instead of Toyota USA. Very confusing.

#22 ·
OK more photos. I cleaned the area a bit. Looks steel/metal to me. Definitely solid after tapping it. I think this is the end of my story (correct me if i'm wrong) and hopefully i have the necessary parts on my van for towing up to 3500 lbs minus the hitch, wiring etc of course.

Thanks for everyone's help. Hopefully this also helps other Sienna owners.

#23 ·
You have the updated cooler lines. 100%. You have a bit of a oil leak . :)
That other thing you pointed out in the picture is a electrical connector. A\F sensor. I do believe all Canadian models have the towing package. It was that way in the first couple GEN.

#24 ·
I do believe all Canadian models have the towing package. It was that way in the first couple GEN.
Oh, that's a tough one. I distinctly remember posts/complaints on this forum from owners of Canadian market 2015 non-LE Sienna AWD who said that theirs didn't have the tow prep package - same as non-LE 2015 Sienna AWD sold in the U.S.

#25 ·
I've come to view all published papers about what model received what parts as merely a "suggestion". The only definitive proof is in physical inspection!

But to the OP, you look good to tow! Be safe out there.

Reactions: floridanative
#28 · (Edited)
The cost to replace the oil cooler hybrid lines with the all metal ones is usually less than $250. Any independent mechanic can do this. I am an old shade tree mechanic and I did it at home. The trick is to remove a couple of the studs using a Torx bit. This makes it much easier to install the new piece as the metal lines don't bend like the old rubber lines. Pass that tip on to your mechanic.
The part itself costs under $100. I bought mine on eBay from a dealer with both gaskets for about $75 a couple of years ago. I just looked and there are many both OEM and aftermarket available for between $48 and $100. All include the gaskets.

If they fail while driving your engine will be dead by the time the oil warning light comes on because it will pump the oil out that fast when the hose bursts. Replace it now if you have the old rubber one.

#29 ·
The window sticker on the vehicle VIN when new is available from many web sources for a few $. The sticker shows tow package if it was included.
you have to install a trailer hitch and wiring, the tow package does not include trailer hitch or wiring. Usually I’ve had this done by UHaul but oddly they can’t do the wiring as their wiring harness doesn’t work with at least my 2008 Sienna.
See etrailer for a correct trailer wiring harness, as I installed on mine.
Hint from my experience: Have enough of the yellow wire out the left taillight mount to easily plug-unplug the taillight BEFORE you stick-mount the controller in the jack compartment. I stuck the controller a bit higher than necessary and with yellow wire at top which made yellow wire to left taillight almost too short.

#32 ·
The window sticker on the vehicle VIN when new is available from many web sources for a few $. The sticker shows tow package if it was included.
The window sticker shows the tow prep package only when it was an extra cost option. The tow prep package was standard equipment on my 2014 Sienna Limited FWD and is not shown on the window sticker.

#31 ·
Clarifying some confusion:

The engine oil cooler made it's introduction along with the 2GR-FE engine in 2007. All 2007 Gen-II vans had it (along with a 3,500 TW), but then Toyota shaved a few bucks by making it optional or part of a trim or package from 2008 on.

Gen-II (2007 - 2010) vans, if equipped, would have the hybrid rubber & metal assembly with the problematic rubber.

The Gen-III (2011) van (also with the 2GR-FE engine) was also 'blessed' with this timebomb.

Late in that model year, Toyota switched to the all-metal line assembly. The new assembly will fit any 2007-2011 engine.

I took and compiled these images last weekend on my 2015 to show you what the all-metal assembly looks like. I took them from up top, so no, you don't have to crawl underneath to see it.

#35 ·
Just a quick thanks to @fibber2 and others in this thread. I got my oil cooler pipes replaced for free by the dealer without any effort - technician said the clamps were rusty and the rubber indeed brittle enough to qualify. I have shiny new upgraded metal tubes and my oil should stay where it needs to stay.

Time bomb officially diffused, at least this one 😉

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.