Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sunroof only pops up?

I'd really like to know if this is true with XLE. If it is, OMG!!!. It reminds me a 1980s sunroof.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Doug, can you confirm the sunroof in XLE?

I saw the pdf file you provided for the XLE you received recently. It said 'POWER TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF', and the SLIDE should mean that the sunroof tucks into the roof so I think it shouldn't only pop up.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Sunroof only pops up?

glenn said:
I'd really like to know if this is true with XLE. If it is, OMG!!!. It reminds me a 1980s sunroof.

No - let me clarify. It does slide back, but when it does so it slides back ON TOP of the roof, ie it angles up a bit and then slides back about 3/4 way so when it is open, if you're outside the car you'd see a sunroof protruding from the top of the car. The Honda and my BMW both lower slightly and then slide back under the roof metal and above the headliner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
topspy said:
Thanks for your review and comments.

1) Base for 8th seat
I think this is one of those love vs hate things that owners will just have to live with and adapt to & accept.
So.....the 8th mini-seat is "standard" for all models/trims except for AWD??

2) tray/console
3rdGen (2011)
From the press pics, I thought the large console could be moved on a sliding track so that it could be easily re-positioned either at the 1st or 2nd rows...??? ??? Or, is there a "tray" on lower trims, and a "console" for higher trims??? ???

2ndGen (2004-2010)
For comparison/clarification.....
The 2ndGen "tray" is foldable and allows a person to walk through between the 1st and 2nd rows. It is a simple tray table with no "storage" compartments. It was available on the more basic 2ndGen trims. A true "console" with fairly cavernous multi-level storage compartments in the 2ndGen came on higher trims and is an available (but $$$$) optional accessory that can be installed in any 2ndGen. The console is quite large and precludes most people from being able to easily step over it, though still possible. It is fixed/latched in place. You can change it's assigned location (either the 1st row or the 2nd row) by unlatching it and moving the entire large assembly. There are some owners who have 2 consoles. If it is not installed in the 1st row, it leaves some ugly holes in the floor which are supposed to be covered up with a simple floor-mounted set of basic cup holders that are supposed to be supplied with the complete console parts "kit".

4) 2nd row seat bases left protruding from floor
I really think Toyota BLEW this one BIG-TIME. WTH??? Which idiot engineering-team designed and VP approved this moronic design??? :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: Hopefully, they are easily removable/re-installable....??? ???

-- woodtrim
FUGLY is right. It doesn't matter if it is a dark/light tone. Besides....it is still "fake" anyway. I have it on my 04 and HATE it. It does not make me think my car is worth more or luxurious or cool or whatever. The wood-trimmed steering wheel is a stupid idea too because it makes it slippery and HARD on the fingers. But that's just me....

-- sunroof
Only pops up?? Idiots. Are you sure it wasn't an aftermarket sunroof (some of them only pop-up)?? Though, it seems fairly "early" to already have had one sent out and modified by that dealership.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)
The console in between the 2nd row is the same engineering problem on the protruding bases when seats are removed. They chose to create tracks in the floor and have a base that attaches to the tracks, so the base can slide fore and aft. This gives more movement latitude, which is a plus, but the tradeoff is you have these tracks that the seat then attaches to. It was cold outside so I didnt spend more time investigating whether in fact there is an easy way to remove the base units from the tracks too.......

All I can say on the old Siennas is I would NOT have bought XLE because the wood looked too gross to me. I would have bought it on the new one (its much darker and more subdued). Totally agree on the wood wheels. Since when does wood equal class? Why dont we just put mahogany panelling inside the whole car then, so it can look like a 1960s era bank office? I have always thought the 1/2 leather, 1/2 shiny "wood" steering wheels are about as ghey and fugly as you can get.........just my opinion

·
Registered
28 Posts
topspy said:
2) tray/console
3rdGen (2011)
From the press pics, I thought the large console could be moved on a sliding track so that it could be easily re-positioned either at the 1st or 2nd rows...??? ??? Or, is there a "tray" on lower trims, and a "console" for higher trims??? ???

2ndGen (2004-2010)
For comparison/clarification.....
The 2ndGen "tray" is foldable and allows a person to walk through between the 1st and 2nd rows. It is a simple tray table with no "storage" compartments. It was available on the more basic 2ndGen trims. A true "console" with fairly cavernous multi-level storage compartments in the 2ndGen came on higher trims and is an available (but $$$$) optional accessory that can be installed in any 2ndGen. The console is quite large and precludes most people from being able to easily step over it, though still possible. It is fixed/latched in place. You can change it's assigned location (either the 1st row or the 2nd row) by unlatching it and moving the entire large assembly. There are some owners who have 2 consoles. If it is not installed in the 1st row, it leaves some ugly holes in the floor which are supposed to be covered up with a simple floor-mounted set of basic cup holders that are supposed to be supplied with the complete console parts "kit".
I believe that only the Limited has a true sliding console, but perhaps the XLE does too. Not sure if there's a way to detach it and remove it. I AGREE that the full console is better for true storage space and looks nicer than the plastic "tray" that can fold down on the Odyssey, but for my wife at least, one of the big "plusses" of a minivan vs SUV is that ability to walk back to the second row while driving, if necessary (I know its not the safest thing to do). Again, positives and negatives to every design decision.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Hogan773 said:
glenn said:

No - let me clarify. It does slide back, but when it does so it slides back ON TOP of the roof, ie it angles up a bit and then slides back about 3/4 way so when it is open, if you're outside the car you'd see a sunroof protruding from the top of the car. The Honda and my BMW both lower slightly and then slide back under the roof metal and above the headliner.
Thanks for clarifying. The sunroof should look the ones in sports coupes that do not have space for the roof to go inside. It still doesn't make sense as it'll be problematic if we open the roof when we have something on the roof, such as ski racks.

What about LTDs? Can anyone confirm?

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts

Hogan773 said:
This is the same general design as used in our 1988 Honda CRX, where it allows a sliding sunroof in a car with a roof so short that it would not accommodate a sunroof which slid back within the roof. If the Sienna has dual sunroofs, the front one may be set up this way to reduce interference under the roof panel with the second-row sunroof.

So it doesn't "only pop up", and I have no idea why this would be perceived as a deficiency in the design.

·
Registered
28 Posts

brian_bp said:
Hogan773 said:
This is the same general design as used in our 1988 Honda CRX, where it allows a sliding sunroof in a car with a roof so short that it would not accommodate a sunroof which slid back within the roof. If the Sienna has dual sunroofs, the front one may be set up this way to reduce interference under the roof panel with the second-row sunroof.

So it doesn't "only pop up", and I have no idea why this would be perceived as a deficiency in the design.
Here are a couple "ideas why" -- because it looks silly, adds extra turbulence, doesn't slide back as far (it didnt seem to be able to get farther than about 3/4 retracted due to the angle, so you have a partially open hole and then some glass as you look up), and is more easily damaged. I guess I'm just crazy, or expecting too much from a $30-40K car. I guess I have "no idea why" they couldnt tuck it into the roof like other car makers can. As I originally stated, only negative in that could be losing a couple inches of headroom.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Hogan773 said:
brian_bp said:
Hogan773 said:

Here are a couple "ideas why" -- because it looks silly, adds extra turbulence, doesn't slide back as far (it didnt seem to be able to get farther than about 3/4 retracted due to the angle, so you have a partially open hole and then some glass as you look up), and is more easily damaged. I guess I'm just crazy, or expecting too much from a $30-40K car. I guess I have "no idea why" they couldnt tuck it into the roof like other car makers can. As I originally stated, only negative in that could be losing a couple inches of headroom.
I agree. If we try to open it when we have ski rack or something, the sunroof will hit the racks, skis and everything. Leaving it open while driving will generate more noise as wind will hit the angled-roof. Why don't they just get rid of it?

·
Registered
31 Posts

brian_bp said:

[/quote

That's why I said it reminded 1980s sunroof. The old days are gone.

The XLE models do not come with dual sunroof, so it should have rooms for it to be slided in. I think Toyota is trying to cut cost by using same parts for all models.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts

Hogan773 said:
brian_bp said:
Aerodynamics is never simple, and I would not jump to any conclusions about wind noise. Our CRX (with the external design) does not have a noticeably greater wind noise problem than my Ford Focus (with the internal design).

How does 3/4 of the area of the 2011 Sienna panel compare to the entire area of the 2010 panel? I have seen sunroofs with very narrow openings, and would not want to jump to any conclusions about this one without checking the facts.

I would take a couple inches of headroom over a sunroof any day, and I'm glad that my 2004 does not have a sunroof for that reason (among others).

glenn said:
If we try to open it when we have ski rack or something, the sunroof will hit the racks, skis and everything.
I have yet to see a ski rack which holds the skis in contact with the roof, and with stand-up rails such as those on the Sienna the rack is usually well above the roof panel. Is this a real problem? I don't know, and I would check it out before buying.

glenn said:
Why don't they just get rid of it?
I seriously doubt that Toyota changed sunroof designs randomly. "Just get rid of it" suggests that the choice is trivial, and I'm sure that it is not.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts

glenn said:
The XLE models do not come with dual sunroof...
Good observation. I was not aware of that.

The Limited comes with dual sunroofs (which they call "moonroofs"). I would not expect two different designs to be used for the front sunroof, depending on whether or not there is a second one.

glenn said:
...so it should have rooms for it to be slided in.
Is there nothing else in the roof area? A widescreen video display, for instance?

glenn said:
I think Toyota is trying to cut cost by using same parts for all models.
Do all other Toyota models use this design? I had not noticed that.

I'm not saying that this design is the ideal choice, only that there seems to be a lot of assumptions behind condemning it, without much information.

·
Registered
31 Posts

glenn said:

I'm not saying that this design is the ideal choice, only that there seems to be a lot of assumptions behind condemning it, without much information.
[/quote]

I meant all Sienna models.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts

brian_bp said:
glenn said:
The XLE models do not come with dual sunroof...
Good observation. I was not aware of that.

The Limited comes with dual sunroofs (which they call "moonroofs"). I would not expect two different designs to be used for the front sunroof, depending on whether or not there is a second one.

glenn said:
...so it should have rooms for it to be slided in.

They're not "assumptioms" they are opinions. Would just prefer a tuck in one, and I dont see the plusses to the Sienna design.
Is there nothing else in the roof area? A widescreen video display, for instance?

glenn said:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looked at a Limited 2011 today. I know that some folks have been concerned that the lounge seats will not work for an adult.

I found one exception to this. If no one is riding in the front passenger seat, it can be moved forward and it will give enough room that an adult can totally lounge in the seat behind. I am 5' 8" and sitting in the 2nd row (with the front seat forward) I could actually point my toes without it touching the back of the seat.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yes, however me @ 6'4" didn't have a chance in the world to fully enjoy the lounge seating...but we sold our first Limited in 2 days so it wasn't around long either way...

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Do you know if the Limited you had was "reprogrammed" for the [push-button on/off] and [brake pedal override]??

Specifically....

In the past, Toyota's [push-button ignition] required you to HOLD DOWN the button for 3 seconds before it turned the engine off. There was talk of modifying that behavior and delay to something more immediate and "safer".

And the [brake pedal] should be overriding any control inputs to the [accelerator pedal] if both are depressed at the same time for those vehicles that are equipped with computer-controlled "throttle-by-wire" systems.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts