Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I was finally able to test drive a LTD the other day. Becuase the beltline is high, the van feels huge. The loose/overboosted steering doesn't help either - it does firm up at highway speeds. Coming from a Honda, I found it odd that the only way to operate the DVD player is with a remote control that has no resting location in the van. So with little kids, mom and dad have to move to the back of the van to operate the DVD player? Honda's remote attaches to the roof when not in use and you can control the DVD player with controls on the dash as well. Perhaps I am missing something? I also thought Sienna's had Tire Pressure monitors, but I could find no way to check or view the actual pressure in the tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
topspy said:
Do you know if the Limited you had was "reprogrammed" for the [push-button on/off] and [brake pedal override]??

Specifically....

In the past, Toyota's [push-button ignition] required you to HOLD DOWN the button for 3 seconds before it turned the engine off. There was talk of modifying that behavior and delay to something more immediate and "safer".

And the [brake pedal] should be overriding any control inputs to the [accelerator pedal] if both are depressed at the same time for those vehicles that are equipped with computer-controlled "throttle-by-wire" systems.
No...I have no information about that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,923 Posts
Timbits93 said:
Apparently, the Sienna will be avaliable in Canada in Mid-March.
... and yet the Sienna page of the Toyota Canada website just shows the 2010 model. The only evidence of the "2011" model is the news release from January, which does not even suggest an availability date.

Timbits93 said:
Such a long wait compared to the states :(
Yes, everything from Toyota is delayed here, often for no apparent reason.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
Re the factory DVD and controls from the front NAV screen......is that WHILE the vehicle is in motion??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
DH2117 said:
I was finally able to test drive a LTD the other day. Becuase the beltline is high, the van feels huge. The loose/overboosted steering doesn't help either - it does firm up at highway speeds. Coming from a Honda, I found it odd that the only way to operate the DVD player is with a remote control that has no resting location in the van. So with little kids, mom and dad have to move to the back of the van to operate the DVD player? Honda's remote attaches to the roof when not in use and you can control the DVD player with controls on the dash as well. Perhaps I am missing something? I also thought Sienna's had Tire Pressure monitors, but I could find no way to check or view the actual pressure in the tires.
If the 2011 Sienna is equipped with Navigation you can control the DVD player with the virtual buttons on the Nav Screen.

NOTE: The 2011 is so thoughtfully made that If it is in "Park" mode and if the parking brake is depressed DVD video can be viewed through rear screen as well as the Navigation screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
[/quote]If the 2011 Sienna is equipped with Navigation you can control the DVD player with the virtual buttons on the Nav Screen.

NOTE: The 2011 is so thoughtfully made that If it is in "Park" mode and if the parking brake is depressed DVD video can be viewed through rear screen as well as the Navigation screen.
[/quote]

Thanks! The sales guy was clueless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Been driving 2011 LE for 1 month and 1400 miles. Mostly very happy, with a couple of problems. The fit is solid but the trim feels cheaper than my 2004 LE. The extras make up for it but also missing a couple of things like power 3rd row windows. Gas gauge and associated computer is incorrect but I was told it will adjust itself in a couple of more tankfulls. Getting 28mpg+ (calculated manually) on the highway; therefore, it is the same as the 2004.

The only major problem is the steering. First I have to say I much prefer it to the Honda but it is overly sensitive compared the the 2004 LE. At high speeds I find myself constantly adjusting steering as the van keeps drifting too easily. I might get used to it but it is tiring on the arms and one really has to pay attention. I called the dealer and they explained something about electronic which I did not understand, but they also said if there were enough complaints, Toyota might come up with a computer program update. Would someone be able to explain all that in layman's term?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,923 Posts
siennaitaly said:
Gas gauge and associated computer is incorrect but I was told it will adjust itself in a couple of more tankfulls.
That would be nice, but don't bet on it. The second-generation fuel computer never adjusts, and some are significantly off; mine tends to run about 15% optimistic compared to reality. I would be interested to hear if the 2011 does correct itself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,923 Posts
siennaitaly said:
The only major problem is the steering. First I have to say I much prefer it to the Honda but it is overly sensitive compared the the 2004 LE. At high speeds I find myself constantly adjusting steering as the van keeps drifting too easily. I might get used to it but it is tiring on the arms and one really has to pay attention. I called the dealer and they explained something about electronic which I did not understand, but they also said if there were enough complaints, Toyota might come up with a computer program update. Would someone be able to explain all that in layman's term?
All but the smallest modern vehicles have power-assisted steering, and the Sienna is no exception. The traditional way to do "power steering" is to have a hydraulic ram which pushes the steering gear left or right to help the driver. The power comes from a pump which is driven by the engine. How hard to push is determined by a mechanical valve in the steering column, which responds to how hard the driver is turning the steering wheel, now commonly with some tweaking by an electronic system, depending on information such as how fast the vehicle is moving. The first and second generation Siennas (1998-2010) have this hydraulic system.

Many recent vehicles, including the third-generation Sienna, use an electric motor to help, with no hydraulics at all. The power comes from the electrical system. How hard to push is still determined by how hard the driver turns the steering wheel, as well as other factors such as vehicle speed, but a computer makes the calculations instead of a hydraulic control valve. The amount of assistance can be changed by changing the computer program, which is what the dealer suggested might be done.

Does that help? I appreciate hearing how the new electrically-assisted steering is working out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I actually understand your explanation better than Toyota's. They did say that if enough complaints come in they probably would come up with a computer program update. It almost becomes a safety issue as I seem to be working hard to keep the van from over steering at high speeds. I now seem to remember a test drive by a major auto reviewer might have brought up this problem back in January.

I did not explain the gas gauge problem well. The computer reading for miles per gallon and my manually calculating by filling the tank to full and dividing miles traveled by gallons of gas is actually exactly the same. That was not the case with my 2004 which like yours was also 15% optimistic compared to reality. My problem is when the gause gauge shows empty, the low gas indicator light is on, and the computer says I have 15 miles to empty, the assumption would be that a fill up of gas would be approximately 20 gallons (20.9 gal tank + 1 to 2 gal reserve). In reality it takes 16 gallons of gas. On my most recent fill up, I travelled 520 miles which was 110 miles past fuel gauge at empty, low gas light indicator on and trip computer at 0 miles to empty. When I filled up it took 19.3 gallons. I was confident in what I did otherwise one would have to assume the van came with an 18 gallon tank, which could not be possible.

Thanks again for your help. I think the steering is a real issue which probably will not be with the 2011 SE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Has anyone come across a source for protective floor liners. Called Weathertech today and they said that they were at least 3 months away. Really need some type of protection for that light gray carpet. Thanks for any help.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
If you can't "wait", and/or don't want to $$$$pend the extra $$$$$ on custom-fit/custom-designed mats....

DIY.
Home improvement, discount, and automotive stores.
And/or just use a bunch of generic/universal mats......either for automotive, home, or outdoor (doormat) use.

I have a combination of the above.

Some members have used plastic hallway carpet runners.

Do remember to secure whatever you use properly to avoid tripping/slips/falls and the mats getting stuck on the control pedals, etc. If they do get stuck on the accelerator pedal.....SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION TO NEUTRAL to keep the car from any unintended acceleration.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Yes, the SE has been introduced on allocations. My first SE will be built the week of 4/19, and probably will hit the ground around the 1st of May.

The 4 Cyl is also being spread, and I have one of those the same week.

There is only a 1-2 mpg improvement, so don't expect to see a ton of 4cyl out there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
dougbonczek said:
Yes, the SE has been introduced on allocations. My first SE will be built the week of 4/19, and probably will hit the ground around the 1st of May.
The 4 Cyl is also being spread, and I have one of those the same week.
There is only a 1-2 mpg improvement, so don't expect to see a ton of 4cyl out there!
Thanks a lot. Do you have any info on the price of the 4cyl LE "Preferred Package" (with power doors etc)?

On the 4 cyl, yeah I know there's not much EPA mpg difference, but I'll be interested to see if the real-world-mpg shows more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I don't have much info on the 4cyl LE due to the fact that my region isn't building them that way, but from what I can tell the 5314 (4cyl LE) with the PK "LE Preferred Pkg" will be MSRP around $29400...give or take...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
dougbonczek said:
I don't have much info on the 4cyl LE due to the fact that my region isn't building them that way, but from what I can tell the 5314 (4cyl LE) with the PK "LE Preferred Pkg" will be MSRP around $29400...give or take...
That helps. It is unfortunately what I was expecting though - the LE/4 with PK will be almost the price of the LE/V6 (which has the PK standard). The following were the MSRP w/o the $800 handling charge:
5314 LE L4 8-passenger 5 Van 6AT $25,345 11MY
5338 LE V6 8-passenger 5 Van 6AT $28,900 11MY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
dbthompson - you read my mind. The only 2011 Sienna I would consider is the LE 4cyl preferred pkg, but I found the pricing amusing.

On the base model, the 4cyl saves you $1240 vs. the V6
on the LE, it appears to COST $500 more!

Can that be right?
Is that Toyota's way of saying "we just want to advertise better fuel economy, without actually selling any that way"?
 
61 - 80 of 85 Posts
Top