Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our model: 2012 Limited AWD

One day, after nothing out of the ordinary and used per normal, I started the van up and the radio and CD volume and the volume display quit, 100%. Voice activation, rear DVD and nav volume worked. First independent shop pulled the radio receiver (head unit) and diagnosed that the harnesses, connections to the amp and wires were functioning properly and the radio receiver was "bad". I found several correct model code radios at used part sites for around $450. But what if he was wrong and the radio was good? I would be out the cost of the part and no further ahead.

I took the van to a Toyota dealer. They were nice enough to diagnose for no charge and found an identifiable problem as PART of the issue (no radio volume). With me in the van he unplugged the black connector at the rear of the radio and, wouldn't you know it, the radio volume returned. Then when the plug was reinserted to the radio the volume died 100%. He told me the plug is connected to the "Computer Assembly, Multi-media Interface". The part # for this thing that fits my 2012 is: 861A008011. The dealer who helped me found, to their surprise, 2 of these things IN STOCK at the warehouse they pull from. Since this obscure part was in stock they surmised Toyota knows this part is failing and that's why it's so readily available. Retail is around $430. Several on line dealerships sell it for around $315.

So i am currently riding with radio and CD volume, back up cam is functioning, navigation functioning (without voice assist) but no voice activation functions, telephone and , most likely, the rear DVD player which I haven't checked yet.

I would like all the stuff to function as intended, not only for me but for whomever I eventually sell the van to.

1. Has anyone experienced this problem or a similar one?
2. If I buy and install the Multi-media Interface do you think everything will work?
3. Do you think something else is causing the problem?
4. Do you think something is "attacking" these interfaces to cause them to go bad, if, in fact, the interface is REALLY bad and causing entire problem?

Thank you VERY MUCH for reading about my problem and BIG THANKS if someone can help me.

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tom, this sounds a lot like what is occurring to the 2012 XLE we just purchased that our Toyota dealer is trying to fix. See the post labeled "Radio cuts out and dvd not working " and chip in on the knowledge. Also that part is available on Ebay for <$50 and 861A008011 is the second edition of it with the original being 861A008010.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sharpguy,

Thank you for your response. I just posted my post to the thread you indicated.

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts