Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just attempted a drain and fill on my wife’s van. Went well but all I got out was a little over a qt.. can’t figure out what is going on. Checked level and was good. Pulled plug and had internal temp at 113F on fill and only took about a quart on refill. thought it was supposed to be like 3 qt. Very confused. Any suggestions. Kind of spooked

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you also remove the plastic “straw” that sits just inside the drain plug. It’s used to set level. You won’t get much out until you remove that... look for some videos on YouTube. They show it.

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
What David said!

Moved to the Gen-III section of the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I did Remove the straw. It’s been running fine until a batch of cold weather hit recently. First thing when it’s cold when I pull out it doesn’t want to go and then it’s fine after Ormes up 100 yards lat remove the straw. It’s been running fine until a batch of cold weather hit recently. First thing when it’s cold when I pull out it doesn’t want to go and then it’s fine for the rest of the day. I know I followed the procedure correctly and I’ve also changed it in my Tacoma with no issues. This cold weather initial acceleration issue is my only symptom. Is it possibly a little low?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The transmissions humming a little bit at low speed like a power steering pump would sound too. Only Toyota WS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car has 100,000 miles on it. I’m not liking when I read online about the transmission reliability 😞. It would be my luck the transmission is going to be fried now...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know. I’m a little dumbfounded. No idea where the fluid went I just re-checked it and it was about a quart and a half low. When I filled it last time I was perfectly level 110° with the engine cranked and running through gears. No signs of a leak that I can find. I just went on Two 800 mile round trips in the last month since changing. It started acting up on my way back from the second after been sitting in some freezing conditions.. At a loss.. I did nothing different when I filled it back up this time yet it took quite a bit before flowed over indicator.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's not worth all the hassle to me to change the fluid myself when there are so many critical factors at play. I am going to cough up the Benjamin's and pay my dealer to do it. I have very high respect for you guys who are doing it yourselves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s actually not that hard. Takes 5 to 10 minutes. That is because I have a Bluetooth reader that works with all my vehicles on my phone. I also use it for gauges for my diesel.
That being said not sure what happened with the fluid on this last one. Only thing I can figure is the torque converter was drained.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only thing I can figure is transmission was low before I drained it. The extra I put in would be about what you should be getting during a change which is about 3+quarts. Iit still doesn’t make sense on when I filled it back up it wouldn’t take more now does unless not only was it low but I also wasn’t getting filled to the torque converter and it was empty. Assessor of these transmissions are it’s not really believable it was 2+ quarts low though as it drove flawlessly..

·
Registered
128 Posts
You probably already know that the ATF capacity is 6.9 qts. One of the reason I want the dealer to do it so that the torque converter will be flushed at the same time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
About over a quart is about right for a drain and fill. When I drain and fill mine it is a bit over a quart. I drain, the refill with about 1.5 quarts and run the engine to get up to 110F and then re-drain with the engine running without removing the straw and the little bit overflow spills out. So it a bit over a quart. I do this every 10K miles or every other oil change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drained about 1.5L (1.6 quart) with removed the straw on my 2013 Sienna today. Base on some people, who change ATF on their 6 speed transmission (U660E). It takes almost 2 quarts on drain and fill. Not include to remove the pan and change filter. Is it drain and refill take about 2 quarts on our Sienna?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Less than 2 quarts. About 1.5 quarts or less is what I have experienced. It’s hard to measure exactly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did one more time ATF change today. Like yesterday, only drain out about 1.5L (1.6 quart) about 100km driving.After searching on internet with other people doing on U660E toyota 6 speed transmission on different models (camry, sienna, highlander, venza). Most people drained about 1.6 quart to 1.8 quart with straw removed. I finally put 1.75L (about 1.85 quart) ( about 60 oz).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Why don’t you just buy an ODB II reader that reads the trans fluid temp and do it correctly to ensure you have the correct fluid level?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2 OBd II scanners. Both don't show transmission temperature, only show engine temperature and intake air temp. Will get another one, which has transmission temperature function.

·
Registered
195 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts