Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just found this today that my sienna has some oil leakage around the CV Axle area although I didn't see boot cracks. Do I have to press the boot in order to verify the crack?

Question 1> Can I just replace the boot and rebuild the CV Axle?

Question 2> How hard is the work to remove the driver's side CV Axle?
Are there any special tips I need to follow?

Question 3> Is there an alternative clamp tool that I can use for this job?

Does the homedepot one work?

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think changing the complete axle is better, you can based on your possibility buy it original or the option of aurozone or advance auto, I have also tried used ones with low mileage and they work perfectly, the option to rebuild is not a bad option but I don't know if you do that work, they prefer to change than to repair.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello all,

I saw this for an early version of sienna(06 AWD Sienna - Passenger Side CV Axle Replacement).

Question> Do I need to replace transfer-case oil? I just did a transfer case oil replacement a month ago.
My understanding is that the job only affects transmission oil because some of the oil will leak out through the axle hole. Is that correct?

Thank you

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just did both CVs on my '11 AWD a couple of months ago when I saw the boots leaking. Driver's side was a piece of cake (popped right out with very little persuasion - couple of taps at the wheel hub end and a good yank out of the transmission). I didn't have any transmission fluid leakage.

Passenger side was a complete and total PITA. It's not the same bearing as in the FWD version, but there is still a bearing and it still can get rusted into place badly. Slide hammer did next to nothing and eventually just split the CV at the joint. Had to find a place to essentially wail on it from behind with a heavy hammer and eventually got it broken free (I believe I used a big pickle fork against the shaft housing and hit that with the heavy hammer repeatedly). I found out later about the Transfer Case/Tranny mixing possibility on the passenger side - hopefully it wasn't a big issue (I sold the van shortly after I did this job).

I don't have a lift but do have a quickjack, so that was my only saving grace.

Edit: I think that the whole shaft was less than $100 from Rock Auto, boots are out of stock, so I'm not sure how that compares price-wise with the rebuild option.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

I will first try to rebuild the CV Axls since the OEM will cost around $400 and the kit only costs around $50.
I have watched a few YouTube videos but none of them have the same look as my front driver-side CV Axls.
The driver-side CV Axls has a round piece near the inner boot, so I don't know how I can remove the outer boot if that
piece is in the middle of the shaft.

If anyone has experience with installing the outer boot, please share your comments.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tonight, I got a chance to carefully inspect the driver side inner CV boot area, I cannot see any obvious location where those oil spit out and all rubber boot looks in good shape.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts