Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening. My sister has a Gen 3 sienna with a power door issue. The passenger door opens like normal (inside, outside, no difference) and then upon closing only goes about 50-60% of the way and makes 1 beep and returns to fully open. The motor sounds like it is struggling when in motion. For the longest time it was getting stuck, and would close with a "nudge". Today it finally decided no more of the nudge tricks would close it.
Ive been googling and reading on here- Seems like there is no clear cut answer. People have changed the rollers above the door. People have lubed everything. Motors, cables, lots of parts being changed. I dont see a clear cut answer.

My sister lives 2 hours away, so I was hoping to bring the parts with me if possible if it is something common. I was planning on if nothing else cleaning and lubing everything but the toyota dealer is closer to me and I was hoping to fix it this weekend if possible.

Thanks everyone in advance, I really appreciate any help.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Looks like this is your first post.

Welcome.

That said, it seems like it's resisting like the sensor is failing. When you put your hand into the path and it hits it will do the same. So I think, check the sensor or the roller path. That's my 2 cents.

Personally I had to chang out my motor cause it was making a grinding noise.

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
279 Posts
From what I've read, seems like cleaning and lubing is the most common solution. I haven't had issues with my doors yet, though I know it's only a matter of time.

If you turn off the power doors (toggle button to lower left of steering wheel), do the doors move freely by hand, or are they kinda stiff? With the power doors disabled, the doors should smoothly and easily slide open and closed by hand.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
There are countless previous threads about this. Depending on where you live and the weather you drive in, it may be necessary to routinely clean and lubricate the sliding door components. After freeing up a stuck door on my 2014 Limited at around the three year point, regular cleaning and lubricating keep them both working perfectly and quietly until I sold the vehicle last month.

Here is how I did it. Turn off the power to the doors at the switch on the lower left of the dashboard. Saturate a small thin cloth with spray silicon and use it to wipe/clean the three door tracks for each door. I sometimes use paper towels but had to be careful not to leave a portion of them in the tracks. An amazing amount of gunk can build up in the door tracks. The middle tracks at "beltline" behind the windows by the 3rd row seats can be particularly difficult to clean and lubricate Slip the saturated cloth under the window glass and feel for the tracks with your fingertips. The edges of the tracks aren't really sharp but take care not to cut your fingers.

Spray all the plastic rollers with spray silicon - best to use a tube attached to the silicon bottle. The rollers on the middle track are the most difficult to spray. I did it from the inside of the sienna when the sliding door was almost closed.

Lubricate the large hinges at the rear of the doors with penetrating oil. I use 3-in-1 oil from a container that has an attached tube. Manually open and close the doors over and over and over. It can take several applications of penetrating oil and several lubrications of the rollers to get the door working smoothly.

Do not use petroleum based lubricates on the plastic rollers.

My passenger side sliding door was very noisy, would not close under power and was difficult to open and close manually before I performed this maintenance. It took several applications but after a few days it was back to working silently and like new.

While you are at it,, lubricate the fuel door hinges with penetrating oil.

Depending on model year, there may be a service campaign under which problems with the sliding doors and the fuel door are repaired at no cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts