Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Symptoms:
1. A/C Blowing Moderately Cold Air (all zones)
2. No evaporation water draining, either front or back (no water in driveway)
3. Cooler, but not cold and dry when driving at speed
4. Condenser fan does not come on unless I give it a gentle tap at fan motor

Notes:
1. A/C & Heater buttons and indicators function as normal, giving no indicator that there is an issue
2. Cabin filter, clean
3. Clutch engages/disengages when A/C switched on and off
4. Low Pressure Side Readings:
- A/C off = 92
- A/C on = 64
5. Checked relays and fuses, all ok

Questions/Thoughts...
1. Should condenser fan always be on when A/C running? What about this tapping to come on business?
2. What about the pressures? I should probably check with the fan on...only checked when fan was off.

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
194 Posts
1. Should condenser fan always be on when A/C running? What about this tapping to come on business?
Yes. Also what are you referring to as the condenser fan? On my 2014 the condenser is full width, and there’s two radiator fans. BOTH fans come on whenever the AC is running. They should come on immediately when the compressor clutch engages.

Tapping to get it to start means it’s bad, and needs to be replaced. I’ve had house fans that had similar behavior when going bad, where if tapped or spun manually they’d spin, but they NEED to be able to start themselves without help, cause you can’t sit up there and tap them every time the AC compressor cycles on when driving. 😂

Is this happening to both fans, or just one? What does the second fan do?

2. What about the pressures? I should probably check with the fan on...only checked when fan was off.
The fans need to be running. For a proper check, the FSM says 85-90 something degrees, all doors and windows open fully, max cold AC, full blower fan speed, recirc setting, engine running at 1500 RPM.

But no pressure reading will be valid if the radiator fans are not running as they should be. I wouldn’t be worried about the pressures until you replace the non-working fan(s) and are still having issues.

Even with working fans, the AC blows slightly colder on my van when driving. I’m not sure if this is the higher engine RPM or the extra airflow on the condenser. Could be both. I can detect a slight temp different between just running at idle and idling at higher RPM, but I’ve never quantified that difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts