Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my Sienna felt like it’s tire spun. I got out bc I wasn’t sure if it was the tire going flat. After that didn’t happen, I continued to drive it another few days. Then yesterday I see the “TRAC off” light is on and the check engine light. It did have a tiny bit of shaking for less than a minute. I know it means traction is off, I’m assuming it happened the other day. Nothing else triggers In my mind about what happened. So, I tried to just turn it off with several different methods, nothing worked. Any ideas?
IMG_8320.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine started doing the same thing yesterday, albeit without the shaking. I read elsewhere on here that the TRAC OFF comes on with the Check Engine to help get our attention; I know my Subaru does that, with the added feature of losing cruise control. I haven't had time to check what codes are showing (I sense a trip to Advance Auto this week...), but it seems like that'll be the next step.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This just happened to our 2013 XLE today. We have had to jump start our van a couple of times since 12/23, with the most recent being today. After jumping the battery the TRAC off and CEL came on. I pulled the P0335 code with my reader. The book says this is the Crankshaft Position Sensor A Malfunction code. A quick search on the forums related to the code mentioned that it can occur as a result of a low voltage situation. My wife says the van felt and drove normally, no shaking. I cleared the code and I think we will start with a new battery. This will be our second new battery since we purchased the van in January of 2013. When the first battery went out, AAA was called to jump the van after it wouldn't start. They confirmed the battery was dead then so we drove to Costco right away for a new one; we didn't have jumper cables or a battery jumper back then. I'll update if this fixes our issue or if we get the two lights back on.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Batteries are an iffy proposition at best. Quality and reliability is all over the map from every brand. While it's disappointing to have to replace a battery every couple of years, it's a small price compared to the inconvenience (or even danger) associated with being stuck with a dead van, or the damage that can occur to your electrical system from running it down and jumping.

You might want to have the rest of the system checked for any faults. I'm thinking alternator performance, belt slippage, parasitic draws, etc., that are contributing to battery short-life events.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did some additional research and then got out my multi-meter. I tested the battery itself and got 12.6 V. I turned the engine on with the meter still attached and got a reading about 13.9 V. I then turned off the engine, turned on the lights and radio for about 2 minutes. I watched the charge on the battery decrease from 12.6 V down below 10 V (first bad sign). Turned everything off and then tried to start the van, no go. From what I found online that is an immediate indicator of a spent battery, not enough CCAs to start. I swapped to the new battery, which also occurred 3 years ago to the date. Tested the battery at 12.6 V, and with the engine running at 13.9 V. I turned the van off and ran the lights and radio again for about 2 minutes. The charge on the battery did not decrease, which was expected. Turned it back on with no problem. One thing I am still curious about is the charge when the vehicle is running, which should be an indicator of the Alternator's performance. I understand it can be different from vehicle to vehicle, but the info I found says it should be around 14.2 V when the car is running. A quick look at this forum suggests the Sienna's alternator output runs around 13.5 - 13.9 V?? Is that something that can be confirmed? Otherwise I have read that many people have alternator problems with the Sienna.
The intended lifespan of a car battery is 4 years, but I read that only about 30% make it that far. As you mentioned it is far cheaper to replace a battery every few years compared with other components. Our trusty 2001 Honda Accord's battery, which was purchased in 2012, is still going strong. And I miss the simplicity of working on my Subaru WRX compared to this van as well. I may make an appointment to have other components checked out as well. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
As an Outback owner (Gen-II and now a Gen-IV), I watch what's going on over there too. Subaru switched over to 'smart alternator regulation' in 2015 with the Gen-V Outback, and that introduced a world of hurt on batteries in general. Instead of 14.2 V, they output barely over the battery voltage of 12.6 - 12.8 much of the time, and tend to undercharge the batteries to the point of greatly reduced Reserve capacity.

But many modern alternators taper off the applied voltage based on 'pushback' from a nearly charged battery. I don't think I saw more than 14 V even when working on my 2015 Sienna, and less when it didn't need to.

Reactions: lokizone
1 - 6 of 6 Posts