Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Lately I've noticed the engine is very noisy, it almost sounds like a Chevy from the 90s. When standing outside of it, it doesn't sound smooth at all.

Lots of ticking and I can hear things going round and round... normally heard on older cars from my experience :)

It has 62,000 KM on it.

I'm also comparing it to my 2017 Nissan Pathfinder which is dead silent (especially compared to the Sienna).

Any ideas?

Thank-you.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Rattling sound would likely be loose exhaust shield, bang on the exhaust under the car trying to recreate the noise while the engine is cool.

If it's a squeaking or rotational sound, look around your belt area on the passenger side. Make sure everything looks smooth and there's not a lot of movement in the belt or pulleys.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I checked out under the hood while it was on, and it's definately the engine area on the left (while looking at the engine from the front).

It's a round spinning with silver shiny bolts on it, I think it's the fan belt pully thing, but it's so tight in there I could not tell for sure.

It's on the left of the engine, I always thought fan belts were on the front, but that was on my v8, it looks like this engine is sideways :p

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
Yes, it's a transverse mounted engine, with it's "front" facing the passenger's side fender. Most FWD-based vehicles have this arrangement. The sound? Still hard to say. Waterpump maybe. Idler pulley maybe. Does it change with the AC on or off?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I checked out under the hood while it was on, and it's definately the engine area on the left (while looking at the engine from the front).

It's a round spinning with silver shiny bolts on it, I think it's the fan belt pully thing, but it's so tight in there I could not tell for sure.

It's on the left of the engine, I always thought fan belts were on the front, but that was on my v8, it looks like this engine is sideways :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
That seems to looks like your water pump/AC/Alternator pulley. Couldn't see clearly with all those parts they cramped into that side of the engine😁. If you have a small long pipe/tube just place it near that pulley and listen to the noise. If you hear grinding sound, that means the pulley is going bad. But if you hear a howling sound then that's bad news - your Water Pump pulley bearings are bad. Try to zoom in on the video and observe and see if the pulley has any swaying while engine is running.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Rattling sound would likely be loose exhaust shield, bang on the exhaust under the car trying to recreate the noise while the engine is cool.

If it's a squeaking or rotational sound, look around your belt area on the passenger side. Make sure everything looks smooth and there's not a lot of movement in the belt or pulleys.
wrong answer; come on: would the guy mistake exhaust shield noise for engine noise??? give him a break;

·
Registered
59 Posts
also: the engine noise does not sound all that unusual; take it to the dealer and ask them if they think there is a problem;

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
wrong answer; come on: would the guy mistake exhaust shield noise for engine noise??? give him a break;

The two-part reply was posted BEFORE the OP added the Youtube video with the sound and location. And the OP did state 'ticking' which is quite often heat shield expansion/movement.

As judge/jury/executioner, I'm going to accept the answer and award points for trying. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts