Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

2015 AWD Cold Weather U660E Transmission Whine

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Oldwolf 
#1 ·
The U660E in my 2015 AWD whines when I first start it up and the weather is cold. I don’t recall it being as noticeable in the summertime. Once the fluid warms up, after maybe a minute or two of driving, no more whine.

I had the fluid changed by the dealer at around 75,000 miles when I first got the van. Now I am about 600 miles shy of the end of the 100,000 mile CPO warranty.

I am thinking I’ll take the van back to the dealer and tell them about the whine and ask them to verify the fluid level. I have read that a low fluid level can cause a whine especially in cold weather due to contraction.

Do any of you guys have a cold temperature whine with you U660E’s?

#2 ·
My 2012 (76,000 miles) has a slight whine in low gear for the first few blocks when the temperature is below freezing, but it's not that noticeable. It's been like that since new, so I consider the whine normal. My transmission has never had any service. Your idea about having your fluid level checked sounds good.

#3 ·
as long as you don't having any clunking, or slipping, you are probably fine. Wouldn't hurt to do a drain and fill with 2-3 quarts on your own. Look at the transmission case, make sure you don't see any leaks. Screw the dealer, I wouldn't trust them at all !! Go to a trusted transmission shop for service.

#4 ·
Based on a Google search, your fluid may be a little low. Once the transmission warms up, the fluid expands and the whine goes away. It's possible they set the level when the fluid was too warm (113F is the max temp for filling), and then the fluid level dropped when the fluid cooled.

You could try adding 1/2 qt. of fluid (Aisin or Toyota WS fluid only) through the fill hole in the left front wheel well. You don't even have to remove the tire. You'll need a funnel with a tube to add the fluid. Add the fluid when cold and listen for change in volume of whine.

You could also make a list of things to fix under warranty and go back to the dealership - having the car looked over and transmission topped off can never hurt.

#6 ·
Always had the whine in winter on my 2014. Have to reverse out of the garage and the driveway slopes down slightly and it whines like clockwork. As soon as I hit D, it goes away and off I go. It’s likely a sign of slight lower fill from the factory. Just hit 100k miles and plan to do a drain and fill on a cold engine, and add an extra half quart.

#7 ·
We've been doing a partial drain and fill with oil changes as our '15 approaches 100k. It's easy to do. Warm the transmission and park the van on level ground, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. Remove the splash shield at the leading edge of the wheel well, and remove the fill plug (I think it's 22mm or 23mm). Using a 10mm hex, remove the outer drain plug and let the fluid drain into the pan. Observe the volume of fluid draining out, and shutoff the engine.

Once it stops draining, use the same 10mm hex to remove the inner drain tube and drain a total of about 1.8qt from the transmission. Reinstall the drain tube snugly (not too tight, it's plastic), and the drain plug with a new crush washer (they're cheap), but don't fully tighten. Warm the engine and shift through the gears of the transmission, and warm the transmission until the fluid temperature is 104F (40C). I use a scangauge II, but you can use an IR thermometer or this procedure:

Once the fluid is up to temperature, remove the outer drain bolt and drain the fluid until flow goes from a stream to a trickle, and then reinstall the drain plug.

#8 · (Edited)
I added half a quart of Toyota WS last night. We have a lot of cold weather coming towards us the next few days and that will be a good test to hear if the whine has subsided somewhat. I'll report back.

Edit>>
My fill plug did not have a gasket seal on it. Some of the online instructions refer to the plug having one.
I noticed that there was no evidence of leaks around the plug so I am guessing one is not needed???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.