Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sienna AWD Limited
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were told by our dealership, after having the fluids checked on a recent oil change, that our transmission fluid needed to be "flushed" and changed. The previous owner was a landscape business and may have done some towing, so we agreed to do it. The van had 71,000 miles on it at the time. They put 12 quarts of transmission fluid in according to the bill. About a week after this service, the "Check AWD system and check engine" light came on, and it was not shifting correctly. We brought it back, and they stated that the "Transmission Computer Assembly" needed to be replaced. So $1,300 later it was replaced. Two weeks after that, the same warning happened, and the same shifting problem. We limped back, and after waiting a week, they concluded that they had overfilled it with fluid by 5 quarts when the system was flushed. I am getting mixed messages between the google searches I have done on this, and the capacities listed in the manual. The manual says the capacity should be 7.1 quarts, searches say may be "more than 10 quarts". I want to know if this $1,300 assembly failure was due to overfilling the fluid. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would expect it to be because of the over filling. The capacity is a little over 7 qts. For them to put in 10 qts that is very bad for your transmission. These transmissions are very finicky about the correct fluid level and can easily be damaged by incorrect fluid levels. All the seals and solenoids could go bad from the increased pressure. I would make them refund the cost of the $1300 and at a minimum provide you with an extended warrenty for the transmission to cover any future failures due to their mistake. Toyota never recommends a trans flush for these transmissions and there are exact methods, tools and procedures outlined as to how to ensure the fluid level is correct.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If they really did flush the transmission, stating that they used 12 Qts doesn't mean that they they left 12 Qts in the transmission. A flush involves running new fluid through the transmission and draining/filling to the proper level. If you want proof that the work they did has caused your transmission failure you are going to need more than opinions from people on an internet forum to prove your case. What has the dealer offered to do for you since they were the last people to service the transmission before its failure?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts