Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I picked up a set of Morimoto 4TL-R projectors over the July 4th holiday for my 2015 Sienna retrofit. I’ve planned this retrofit since I bought the car new in January 2015, even have a pair of modded Avalon’s and modded 4TL OEMs but based on the reviews of the 4TL-R, I decided to go that route.

I did an updated DIY video of this (June 2020)

I did some research and looks like the foreground light on these is brighter than it should be so I designed some foreground limiters in AutoCAD before I started.

The projectors can be found on eBay thru Lightwerks for $115. Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon HID Projectors - Retrofit D2S TLR TL-R 4TLR | eBay

Cut the first copy out of 0.020 aluminum and test fitted

Added a vent slit and painted it BBQ black and tested on car

I ended up making the FGL much more aggressive since the above shield only stopped at the end of my bumper when sitting in the car.
New aggressive FGL. Also made the vent on top wider and bigger.

So opening the headlight, I followed @trsMatt YouTube video and baked at 270F for 7 minutes. Came apart like nothing. Removed all the screws, rubber caps, and other stuff before baking. Also unplugged the LED DRL wire from the control board under the bottom cap before so it wouldn’t get caught during opening. I left the cap on while baking to protect the inside wiring. The DRL plug hangs loose so I taped with aluminum duct tape to add some protection.

The Morimoto 4TL-R (left) next to the OEM halogen projector.

Eventhough these are supposed to be replica, they are nothing like the OEM 4TL, just the same holes. In order to fit them into the OEM mounts, you need to trip several areas to clear the new Morimotos. I started by trimming the three obvious spots in the green circles. The two sides are the OEM lens holder alignment holes.

After trimming and test fitting, found that the Bi-xenon wire plug interferes so I had to cut a corner out of the spot circled below, I forgot to take the after picture.

The new Morimoto 4TL-R with spacer nuts and washers since the holes are not as thick as the OEM bowl+lens holder. I needed to add two #6 washers on the back side of the projector to rest against the housing mount, see green circles.

New Morimoto 4TL-R mounted in housing.

Output before reassembly of car and housing lens. My Morimoto XB LED fogs end up filling most of that blocked foreground. The blocked foreground is about the length of a car. Overall distance is great and that step cutoff is awesome.
Haven't gotten a chance to take reassembled or other shots. Will add to post when I find a nice wall for output shots.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been playing with the OEM 4TL projectors for a while and I compared them to the Morimoto's before install. The Mori's are smaller than the OEM low-beam 4TL projectors.

The Morimoto bowls were shiny and quality was good as with all their products. The bulb mount and holder are a bit tricky to get but after a few tries you seen how it's designed and works well. Probably a much better design and secure mount than the OEM spring clip.

The Morimoto bowls are made of metal vs. the OEM composite plastic stuff. Some of the plating around the mounts holes of the 4TL-R were poorly done, still had a solid coating that I had to remove with a screw, no big deal.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the amount of cutting needed to mount to OEM housing. These should be designed as drop in.

The Bi-Xenon function is very functional. These have the newer end pivot shield for BiX and the solenoid is rock solid. When they engage, you know it by the sound of the electromagnet. The cutoff shield is solid cast metal so there shouldn't me concern of long term warping like the old Mini H1 flip down types.

I've only been able to drive the car at night a few times since install but my few circles around the neighborhood are a 1000% improvement over the H11 PnP Xenon Depot bulbs I used before. I reused my Denso Slims from the PnP setup with some old OEM PhilipsD2S bulbs I had from my old car for the the 4TL-R retrofit.

When I get some good output shots with my Canon 7D2, I will post.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice writeup! I have 4G TL projectors and had a pretty similar experience - I trimmed those raised areas of the mounts down flush with the surrounding area then used #8 Screw Size, 1/4" OD, 0.166" ID, 3/8" Length hollow tube spacers to act as the offset spacers. I originally tried with #6 spacers and it was too tight for the original screw to be used down the center. How did you end up sealing the rear of the headlight?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice writeup! I have 4G TL projectors and had a pretty similar experience - I trimmed those raised areas of the mounts down flush with the surrounding area then used #8 Screw Size, 1/4" OD, 0.166" ID, 3/8" Length hollow tube spacers to act as the offset spacers. I originally tried with #6 spacers and it was too tight for the original screw to be used down the center. How did you end up sealing the rear of the headlight?
I bought the TRS rubber caps, $2.50 each. I used the 80mm ones, then cut a hole for the ballast wiring, looks OEM when hood is open. I converted the Denso D2S plugs to AMP plugs since I made my Denso slims into AMP for the H11 bulbs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I did this exact same setup within a month of purchasing our Sienna. Absolutely one of the best mods I have done! Nice job on the write up!
in your build thread (http://www.siennachat.com/forum/40-...cm-glx-s-white-2015-se-premium.html#post91594) you mentioned that they "virtually bolt in place of the old projectors" - did you have to trim away any pieces like @Sinister2c did here? I know it has been a few years since you did your retrofits (first was OEM 4G TL low beam only, and now is the Morimoto 4G TL bi-xenon, right?) so I'm not sure if Morimito changed their projectors a bit or what... curious because TRS currently recommends the 4TL-R in their "retroquick" configurator https://www.theretrofitsource.com/p...Toyota+Sienna&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in your build thread (http://www.siennachat.com/forum/40-...cm-glx-s-white-2015-se-premium.html#post91594) you mentioned that they "virtually bolt in place of the old projectors" - did you have to trim away any pieces like @Sinister2c did here? I know it has been a few years since you did your retrofits (first was OEM 4G TL low beam only, and now is the Morimoto 4G TL bi-xenon, right?) so I'm not sure if Morimito changed their projectors a bit or what... curious because TRS currently recommends the 4TL-R in their "retroquick" configurator https://www.theretrofitsource.com/p...Toyota+Sienna&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1
The 4TL-R is bolt on for most Honda/Acura that use the same projectors and the GMC that use it. The bolt on differently to shroud so you don't need to chop the mount. For Toyota the projector bolts to a rail that nest into some holes and nubs. The 4TL-R don't have these so it requires trimming and spacers. Mounting holes are same pattern.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The 4TL-R is bolt on for most Honda/Acura that use the same projectors and the GMC that use it. The bolt on differently to shroud so you don't need to chop the mount. For Toyota the projector bolts to a rail that nest into some holes and nubs. The 4TL-R don't have these so it requires trimming and spacers. Mounting holes are same pattern.
Yea I'm finding inconsistencies with folks who needed to trim vs folks who say they didn't. Both you and @Noses dream (http://www.siennachat.com/forum/40-general-discussion/5597-trs-tl-retrofit-2012-sienna.html) mentioned having to trim, but others on hidplanet and headlight junkies state that they drop right in. You two are the only ones who have posted pictures of the entire process though. I tracked down @Tcm glx in the headlight junkies fb group (he had posted some of the same pics here that he did there) and he told me that he only had to trim down a post.

I've already reached out to TRS for clarification. lightwerkz mentioned that some need trimming, while others don't. I'm curious if it has anything to do with SE vs Limited vs all other trim levels, or something like model year. Or maybe their "Retroquick kit" includes some brackets/hardware that just the projectors alone don't.

I just really want to get to the bottom of it all before taking the plunge, being that it will be my first retrofit. It's just that there's something about having to trim that's a little unsettling to me. Idk, maybe I'm being a wuss and it's really not that big of a deal :nerd:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yea I'm finding inconsistencies with folks who needed to trim vs folks who say they didn't.
Pl. share what you find out. This is one of the mods I am interested in doing but dont want to figure it along the way. Once the dteails become available, I'll probably do a bi-xenon or a Quad projector retrofit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So I contacted 'The Retrofit Source' asking if the 'BI-XENON: MORIMOTO 4TL-R' will work with my vehicle. Their response was:

Thank you for your email! Unfortunately, I don't think the 4TL-R will bolt up to your Sienna. Typically, Toyota/Lexus uses a RX350 style projector:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/projector-kits/hid-led-projectors/bi-xenon-lexus-rx350.html
If you prefer to use Morimoto projectors, you can use Morimoto's Universal plate and transfer the bolt pattern over:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/p...pecific/morimoto-retroquik-universal-d2s.html
Regards!

But it sounds like you guys are achieving good results with a little trimming and a cut-off plate. My initial concern was that these wouldn't work with '13 LE since the OP has a '15. But after re-reading the thread, I see that member 'graure' achieved good results with his 2012, so I would think it is achievable with my '13.

To any that have done this modification, do you think that while the housing is apart I could paint the chrome black, and reseal them with good results? Or will the paint get mucked up with the glue as they go back together?

·
Registered
291 Posts
So I contacted 'The Retrofit Source' asking if the 'BI-XENON: MORIMOTO 4TL-R' will work with my vehicle. Their response was:

Thank you for your email! Unfortunately, I don't think the 4TL-R will bolt up to your Sienna. Typically, Toyota/Lexus uses a RX350 style projector:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/projector-kits/hid-led-projectors/bi-xenon-lexus-rx350.html
If you prefer to use Morimoto projectors, you can use Morimoto's Universal plate and transfer the bolt pattern over:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/p...pecific/morimoto-retroquik-universal-d2s.html
Regards!

But it sounds like you guys are achieving good results with a little trimming and a cut-off plate. My initial concern was that these wouldn't work with '13 LE since the OP has a '15. But after re-reading the thread, I see that member 'graure' achieved good results with his 2012, so I would think it is achievable with my '13.

To any that have done this modification, do you think that while the housing is apart I could paint the chrome black, and reseal them with good results? Or will the paint get mucked up with the glue as they go back together?
I'd be curious to know who at TRS responded to your inquiry. Here's Andrew P's response to mine from earlier this week:

Thanks for your inquiry and patience waiting on a response here. Unless there were some changes in the most recent Sienna facelift, these 4TL-Rs should remain a direct swap for the stock halogen H11 projector. I haven't had any specific feedback saying modifications are required, as I would've added a disclaimer to the listing in that case.

Please let us know if we can be of any additional assistance or provide any additional information

Thanks again!
Additionally, filling out the Buyer's Guide/Vehicle Selection on their site with the 3rd gen Sienna returns the 4TL-R kit https://www.theretrofitsource.com/p...Toyota+Sienna&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

·
Registered
148 Posts
It was Jimmy from The Retrofit Source who responded to my request.

Would you have any pictures of the final assembled units? I'm curious how your cut-off plate looks when finished? Thanks!

On my older '13 LE, the high beam in the housing is a shared bulb with the DRL. I imagine I'll need to do some splicing to get it to work with the separated wires.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
the 2015 SE headlights are different. They are same as the Limited, without the HID projector. OEM Avalon and 4GTL projectors will bolt in because its the same pattern and dimples, etc.

I am not sure about the non-SE or older SE (same build except with black housing). After opening and working with it, I don't see why it would be any different on the mounting, though.

I did my brothers 2015 Accord, they mount from the back so the face of the projector is flat against the bracket. For Sienna, the projector mounts from the front, so it nest into the dimples/holes.

The bi-xenon plug is also an issue when mounting from the front of the bracket.

I attached the photos I had posted above. I don't know how to make those linked to Flickr photos bigger in my post.

Notice I used spacers/washers since I am using the original screws. The OEM project/lens holder is thick. The 4TL-R has separate lens holder bolts so only the projector metal is mounted, making it thinner. You can use shorter screws if you can find some with same thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Regards!
Misinformation...the Sienna uses 4GTL compatible projectors. Same projector used in Accords, Odysseys, and many other cars.

I too am very interested in this. I have an LE, but want to install the SE headlights and grill. For the cost of SE headlights, if I could install HID retrofits and paint the housing black while I have the units open, that seems like a much better solution.
You should consider aftermarket crash replacement 2015+ SE headlights. I saw that they make them now. They look like Limited headlight colors, but have halogen bulbs. We know Limited only came with HID. The are around $450/set which isn't much more than the Spyders/VIPmotoZ lights. OEM is like $430/each and some aftermarket sellers list them at $400/each.

I've found some for $450/set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2015-2017-Toyota-Sienna-LED-DRL

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've debated getting aftermarket units to modify, but my concern would be how they were attached together. It sounds like the glue on the factory units comes right apart when heated. I've had aftermarket units before that where sonic-welded together, and there was no chance of getting them apart.

Plus, I'm not sure if there would really be an advantage to going to the more expensive '15 units, other than the LED DRL and they look a little nicer. If I wanted to get replacement '11-14 SE headlights, they could be had for around $200.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-JDM-...ash=item5455cb5124:g:XmcAAOSwXMZaYASS&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feedback Sinister2c. I'm wondering how much of the cut-off plate is visible from outside the vehicle? Probably all of it? Thanks
After driving for 6 months...I don't think that foreground limiter was worth the effort. Since van is so high and most of the foreground is blocked by hood, you can leave it. I plan to remove it one of these days when I bake the headlights open.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've debated getting aftermarket units to modify, but my concern would be how they were attached together. It sounds like the glue on the factory units comes right apart when heated. I've had aftermarket units before that where sonic-welded together, and there was no chance of getting them apart.

Plus, I'm not sure if there would really be an advantage to going to the more expensive '15 units, other than the LED DRL and they look a little nicer. If I wanted to get replacement '11-14 SE headlights, they could be had for around $200.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-JDM-...ash=item5455cb5124:g:XmcAAOSwXMZaYASS&vxp=mtr
Its all about that DRL...makes the van look much more modern vs. old headlights. Most of those DEPO and TYC use the easy butyl
rubber. I have a roll of $5 Fabral Butyl Rubber Sealant from home depot in grey I plan to use for my aftermarket DEPO retrofit on my IS250. You can find the black stuff online for $15. For aftermarket lights, definitely need to add extra if you open for extra insurance against condensation.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree, the DRL's look great on the '15's. However, I've got numerous other visual mods that I plan to do, so I'm less motivated to spend $400 for nicer looking headlights. Mostly I say that because I'm going to be adding rally lights to the grill like the previous gen Mustang GT.

Good to know about the foreground limiter, thanks for sharing.

Do you have a recommendation of which bulbs and ballast to use? Did you also get the high beam splitter and wiring harness? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts