Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I agree, the DRL's look great on the '15's. However, I've got numerous other visual mods that I plan to do, so I'm less motivated to spend $400 for nicer looking headlights. Mostly I say that because I'm going to be adding rally lights to the grill like the previous gen Mustang GT.

Good to know about the foreground limiter, thanks for sharing.

Do you have a recommendation of which bulbs and ballast to use? Did you also get the high beam splitter and wiring harness? Thanks!
Bulbs and ballast all depend on your budget. You can spend $50 or $250 on components. I'm an OEM type guy so I run Lexus D2S Denso slims ballast that are potted for weather. Currently running some Morimoto XB in 5000K since I had them laying around when I bought a Morimoto HID kit to play with and use as testing.

If I have to buy new bulbs, I would go with Sylvania CBIs, which are affordable these days at around $110/set. These have been the king of the hill for years until Sylvania released their CBH and CBB models. I have a 9005 high beam splitter, it was like $5 when I was already ordering stuff from TRS. You can find in eBay for a few bucks if you want to wait 3 weeks for china shipping.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can confirm on the ‘13 le u do need to trim the posts and a part of the housing for the bi-xenon connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I did an updated DIY video for this retrofit. I also ended up removing the foreground limiter after almost 3 years of using it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just purchased a 2017 xle from my father that needs a bit of work. I drove it around the block once and already want to upgrade headlights. I'm current doing a lot of night trips with young children and they just don't cut it.
Is the 4tl-r still the best mostly drop and go hid projector out there? I already have a truck that needs a full on retrofit, so not looking for a giant project. I've taken headlights apart before so no stranger to the game. My understanding is that the se has drls, but i don't see why the projector low beam housing would be any different. Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just purchased a 2017 xle from my father that needs a bit of work. I drove it around the block once and already want to upgrade headlights. I'm current doing a lot of night trips with young children and they just don't cut it.
Is the 4tl-r still the best mostly drop and go hid projector out there? I already have a truck that needs a full on retrofit, so not looking for a giant project. I've taken headlights apart before so no stranger to the game. My understanding is that the se has drls, but i don't see why the projector low beam housing would be any different. Thanks
Pete
Morimoto has the MLED 2.0 projectors that are pretty popular with retrofitters these days. They make brackets for the 4TL-R bolt pattern but I’m not sure if anyone has tried them on the Sienna yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Morimoto has the MLED 2.0 projectors that are pretty popular with retrofitters these days. They make brackets for the 4TL-R bolt pattern but I’m not sure if anyone has tried them on the Sienna yet.
Lol, that's actually what I bought for the truck. Just sitting on the shelf currently waiting for time. That one is a full retrofit with a lot of cutting and aiming required.

I'll poke around brackets, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Lol, that's actually what I bought for the truck. Just sitting on the shelf currently waiting for time. That one is a full retrofit with a lot of cutting and aiming required.

I'll poke around brackets, thanks for the suggestion.
CB&D carries them for a little cheaper than Lightwerkz ($55 vs $70)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very temping. From reading an oddy forum post, they have the exact same 4tl setup as us and had no issues installing it with the bracket. They (mled2.0) seemed a little beefy to me with that fan. Really hate to order everything just to find out its going to take a lot of cutting.
Comparing price it's not much more expensive and I do like the idea of having less things to install. Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Very temping. From reading an oddy forum post, they have the exact same 4tl setup as us and had no issues installing it with the bracket. They (mled2.0) seemed a little beefy to me with that fan. Really hate to order everything just to find out its going to take a lot of cutting.
Comparing price it's not much more expensive and I do like the idea of having less things to install. Decisions decisions...
one potential issue to double check/confirm is that the projector on the Odyssey and Accord might mount from the back, whereas with the Sienna, it mounts from the front - that’s why we have to grind down some of the mounting posts and notch out the connector for the bi-xenon solenoid on the Sienna,

·
Registered
15 Posts
The way it mounts up is definitely different, but I don't think it changes anything. It still has to be completely disassembled, its not like the Colorado.

It appears to mount to the reflector base first which includes the projector shroud and then I believe that whole piece including the light would attach to the back base piece.

The mled has a large rectangular fan on the bottom and I've seen major fitting conflicts with this when trying to recess into a bowl reflector. Whether or not that issue would arise here, I have no idea. I also found one poster that purchased the mled 2.0 and was not fond of the width. First time running across someone online that didn't like the 2.0s.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The MLED is 3 inch wider and I wondered if it needs more cutting to the reflector housing's hole.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I called lightwerkz the other day and he confirmed it definitely requires more trimming. Its a 3" vs a '2.5' projector. He said they've only used the bracket once and it was on a Honda accord. He said you may even want to just use the mled brackets to mount it. That got me very weary as that is basically a full on custom job at that point.

Oddly enough his vote was still the mled route simply because it's that much better and easier to wire up. He's also a professional for a living so take that with a big grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Obviously, the 3 inch diameter will in most cases be better than the 2.5 inch lens. The 4TL Mori's beam pattern are too focussed on the center and not as wide as the MLED projector. You may only need a quarter inch of trimming all around and it's not that much trimming. Wiring wise, I agree because you don't need a relay wiring harness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Apparently the mled to 4tl bracket is designed to be mounted on the front sight of the projector. This is how it mounts to the odyssey and apparently the bracket is specific to that. I'm contemplating a couple ideas but this is not designed to be compatible with the sienna unfortunately.

I'm already in possession of both. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Apparently the mled to 4tl bracket is designed to be mounted on the front sight of the projector. This is how it mounts to the odyssey and apparently the bracket is specific to that. I'm contemplating a couple ideas but this is not designed to be compatible with the sienna unfortunately.

I'm already in possession of both. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
doh!

did you end up getting a 2nd pair of MLEDs or were you just going to try using the ones you got for your truck?

maybe just sell the brackets and go with the 4TL-R projectors? Wiring was pretty straight forward - sure, you need to deal with a relay harness and ballasts but you’ll already have the bumper pulled to get the headlights out anyways...

·
Registered
15 Posts
doh!

did you end up getting a 2nd pair of MLEDs or were you just going to try using the ones you got for your truck?

maybe just sell the brackets and go with the 4TL-R projectors? Wiring was pretty straight forward - sure, you need to deal with a relay harness and ballasts but you’ll already have the bumper pulled to get the headlights out anyways...
Yea, I bought a 2nd pair since I'm away from my house (covid reasons) and didn't have access to it.
I currently have a plan in place of mounting the bracket to the front side as designed and using it as a template to drill straight through onto the mled projector bracket.

Current issues are the the bracket has some play in it, so concerned depending on how I mount it, this could lead to off axis lighting. 2nd still working out the details of washers/spacers needed to correctly offset this thing to both offset the aftermarket bracket screws as well as ensure its close enough to the shroud. Still working on the bracket drilling. Ate the bits here at the house alive and had to order better ones for the press.

If the brackets was actually made to the design of our headlight, I would say this would have been a fairly simple swap out. Sure a lot more trimming than the 4tl, but no big deal really.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts