·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at a 2015 sienna AWD vs 2021 sienna AWD
The 2015 has only 30,000 miles on it.

Our two main concerns are AWD and low miles

which one would you choose and why?

We need help deciding. I guess since the hybrid is new this year for the sienna we are worried about problems.

·
Registered
2020 Predawn Mica Gray Limited
69 Posts
Personally I would go for the new one.

As far as AWD is concerned, I would look at your AWD use. If you live in an area where you need full-time AWD and it snows a LOT, the 2015 has the mechanical AWD system that will always be on.

The 2021 does not have the mechanical connection between the front and rear axles, making it AWD-i, it is basically FWD until it needs to be AWD and it kicks on automatically. The rear axle is driven by a motor bolted to the rear differential and is powered by the hybrid battery.

My wife and my experience with AWD-i was with a Highlander Hybrid and we absolutely loved it. When we took ski trips and the weather was bad, it worked perfectly. We enjoyed the 2WD gas mileage, and having also AWD when it was needed.

That being said, if you need AWD all the time, the 2015 may be a better option for you.

I don’t have a 4th gen and our 3rd gen is 2WD (I didn’t want runflats) so some of the 4th gen owners could weigh in here with some more experience.

We do love our 3rd gen and having some creature comforts like Apple CarPlay (2018 and later models I believe) make it even better. That may not be a big issue for you but it may sweeten purchasing a 2021 over a 2015.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just came from a 2015 to a 2021. i absolutely loved my 2015 (awd) Limited premium. It got totaled in an accident but before that I was not considering a new car whatsoever. That said, because I wasn’t in the market I had no idea what the 2021 had to offer. It is night and day I supposed depending on the trim level. I live in Michigan-must have awd and another must for me is the heated steering wheel- which is only offered in Platinum. So we got platinum awd. So much newer tech compared to the 2015. Better gas mileage. 360 camera. heated and ventilaTed front seats AND heated second row seats. Let’s see....what did I lose from the 2015 that I notice off the top of my head-

-no second moon roof on the 2021
-smaller rear window so I MUST rely on camera views for visibility
-the sliding door button on the interior (right behind the driver or passenger side) is a little lower therefore slightly inconvenient but that’s because of muscle memory of where the button used to be on my 15.....a new owner may not even notice.
-small storage compartment on the bottom left driver side dash is gone. It was pretty small and I used it to put a couple chapsticks/lipsticks but I did like that it kept them handy but out of sight.
-my 15 had the outlet plug on the back of the second console. Although it’s an option on the 2021 mine does not have one

none of those were deal breakers for me and in most instances the loss of those were more than made up by other similar features except that second moon roof. Just nice to have extra light and air sometimes.

when my 2015 got totaled I thought about getting a used 2018 but decided to go new in the end. Plan on keeping for 10 plus years though.

favorite things about the 2021
-wireless phone charger
-center console area with plenty of cup holders/storage
-360 camera
-hybrid, more miles until empty= fewer fill ups
-heated seats, steering, ventilated seats
-apple car play
-safety sense 2.0 features
-interior floor mats in second row are much better fit compared to the 2015 where there were several separate mats flopping all over the place
-plenty of charging ports both usb and C type
-the hands free side door and rear door entry (kick with foot underneath)
-the app with the remote start feature

·
Registered
504 Posts
If it's all the same to you, the 2015 with 30,000 miles is a no brainer. Half the money for virtually the same reliability, maybe better. After a couple years, if you change your mind, the switch would be far less costly. Unless you plan on 100,000 miles a year, the mileage will never justify the outlay difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts