Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I can get some input or advice...My Sienna is a 2015, I bought it brand new and it's on it's second battery already. About a week ago, it was cold. I had to boost it, not a big deal. I drove it for a while after it was boosted. It's parked in the garage. The next day, it wouldn't start again. It hasn't been cold, I tried to boost it again and it won't even take. My van is completely dead. Is something draining my battery that I have to go through two in 6 yrs? My husband has a 2014 Ford Escape, parked in the garage for 1 week during the cold, didn't plug it in and it still started. Last thing I want is to bring it back to the dealership and they're gong to give me the run around. Or charge me more than I needed to spend. TIA

·
Registered
451 Posts
Newer smart battery chargers won't work if the battery is drained too much. Often an old dumb battery charger is needed for the first 10 minutes to revive a dead battery enough for a newer smart charger to work.
As for the drain you could disconnect one of the battery terminals and wire a small 12v bulb between the battery terminal and the terminal wire. If it dimly glows zero in on the drain by pulling fuses or maybe disconnecting the alternator wire til the bulb go out.
In the mean time always using a cheap wall wart battery maintainer while parked might be enough to make up for the drain and buy you some time.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I see you posted on March 28, 2017 that similar problems you had back then were resolved by a new battery. It's apparently time for another new battery.

These vans can be hard on batteries. I replaced the original battery in my 2014 at 3 1/2 years and now the replacement battery is just under 3 1/2 years old and is near its end. The engine barely turned over a couple of days ago after the van sat unused in a cold garage for one week. It doesn't help that my Sienna has been driven only about 500 miles during the past 50 weeks. I'll be going to buy a new battery on March 19 which will be two weeks after my second COVID-19 vaccination.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Probably new battery time as mentioned. Also would be prudent to check alternator output to see if it is charging the battery.

To measure parasitic draw, remove the positive cable from the battery and then probe with a multi-meter between the disconnected cable and the battery post.

All vehicles have some amount of draw, "normal" would be around 50-80 milliamps, anything higher than that and there probably is an underlying issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts