Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our van has recently developed a fairly prominent "rattle" and I'm hoping you all might be able to tell me whether it's something to be concerned about. I've tried to pinpoint where the noise is coming from, and it seems like it's coming from the left of the engine cover.

I've attached a link to a video below of the noise we're hearing. (Sorry it's dark, but the sound is there).

Thank you in advance for any ideas you may have.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hmm, how many miles on the engine?

Is everything "clean?" Oil, air filter, plugs, injectors? Almost sounds like oil starvation, but unlikely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
112k miles everything is very clean. The video makes it seem louder that it really is. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something crazy like the timing chain. No lights. Car runs great.

Just the noise.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It sounded to me like the rattle got louder as you moved the camera towards the left. I'd start with the pulleys, idler, tensioner, alternator, and water pump.

·
Registered
58 Posts
alternator pulley would be my first guess. Can you remove the belt and see if the noise goes away. Only run the engine for a short time with the belt off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently did the serpentine belt job on my 2011 Sienna with 133K. Did not have the same rattling noise you did but wanted to do a GVI of all components. I agree with @greenskeeper to remove v-belt and just start for only a short 10 seconds to see if noise is gone. Likely an idler pulley or tensioner pulley bearing that has failed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm going to dig into it further tomorrow.

When do timing chains need replaced?

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Sienna LE AWD
164 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'm going to dig into it further tomorrow.

When do timing chains need replaced?

Timing chains don't have a scheduled maintenance because they don't fail as soon as timing belts,

Timing chains are usually replaced if they start creating noise, tensioners failing, and chains stretching etc

I would check your water pump as on these sienna it's a very common issue on these vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Timing chains don't have a scheduled maintenance because they don't fail as soon as timing belts,

Timing chains are usually replaced if they start creating noise, tensioners failing, and chains stretching etc

I would check your water pump as on these sienna it's a very common issue on these vehicles.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update!

So, as some of you suggested, it is the water pump bearing making the noise. My mechanic told us to watch it and start prepping to change the water pump out.

Thank you for all the help everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts