Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Sienna owners,

Ok, so I bought a 2017 Sienna LE with 14 miles on it, now, three months later, I am at 53,000 miles (really) No problems, no issues, runs great, doing 3,000 - 4,000 miles a week, I change motor oil & filter every two weeks at around 8,000 - 10,000 with Mobile One 0-20w full synthetic and 1 quart of Lucus Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. I regularly drive up and down 4000-6000 foot mountains..

Anyway looking for some feed back on tranny fluid change , on tranny UA8OE

Has anyone used Mityvac - ATF Refill Adapter - Toyota Part # MVA581 on the 2017?
I called the company and they can't confirm it will fit the 2017 as the part was manufactured 3 years ago

Am I right, the 2017 does not have a separate refill hole on side of tranny?

So, refill is done from the drain hole?

Has anyone done a tranny oil change on the 2017 ?

The procedure I plan to use is:

1. Remove drain plug and over flow tube
2. Drain oil and measure oil removed , maybe 3 1/2 qts
3. Replace over flow tube
4. Attach Mityvac - ATF Refill Adapter - Toyota Part #MVA581
5. Pump in 3 3/4 quarts of WS tranny oil
6. Close valve on the ATF Refill Adapter - Toyota Part #MVA581
7. Using the van's transmission diagnostic connector, run a jumper wire between port 4 & 13 and shifting between N and D six times to activate temperature mode.
8. Place in Park, wait for D to light up, indicating proper tranny temperature.
9. With van running, open ATF Refill Adapter valve to release excess fluid.
10. Replace drain plug and do it again in 20 or 30,000 miles

However the key is the ATF Refill Adapter - Toyota Part #MVA581
If i remover the drain plug and the ATF Refill Adapter doesn't fit.....

So anyone do a tranny oil change on a 2017 Sienna LE

Thanks,

www.MedCad.org

·
Registered
114 Posts

Ok, so I bought a 2017 Sienna LE with 14 miles on it, now, three months later, I am at 53,000 miles (really) No problems, no issues, runs great, doing 3,000 - 4,000 miles a week, I change motor oil & filter every two weeks at around 8,000 - 10,000 with Mobile One 0-20w full synthetic and 1 quart of Lucus Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. I regularly drive up and down 4000-6000 foot mountains..

Anyway looking for some feed back on tranny fluid change , on tranny UA8OE

Has anyone used Mityvac - ATF Refill Adapter - Toyota Part # MVA581 on the 2017?
I called the company and they can't confirm it will fit the 2017 as the part was manufactured 3 years ago

Am I right, the 2017 does not have a separate refill hole on side of tranny?

So, refill is done from the drain hole?

Has anyone done a tranny oil change on the 2017 ?

The procedure I plan to use is:

1. Remove drain plug and over flow tube
2. Drain oil and measure oil removed , maybe 3 1/2 qts
3. Replace over flow tube
4. Attach Mityvac - ATF Refill Adapter - Toyota Part #MVA581
5. Pump in 3 3/4 quarts of WS tranny oil
6. Close valve on the ATF Refill Adapter - Toyota Part #MVA581
7. Using the van's transmission diagnostic connector, run a jumper wire between port 4 & 13 and shifting between N and D six times to activate temperature mode.
8. Place in Park, wait for D to light up, indicating proper tranny temperature.
9. With van running, open ATF Refill Adapter valve to release excess fluid.
10. Replace drain plug and do it again in 20 or 30,000 miles

However the key is the ATF Refill Adapter - Toyota Part #MVA581
If i remover the drain plug and the ATF Refill Adapter doesn't fit.....

So anyone do a tranny oil change on a 2017 Sienna LE

Thanks,

www.MedCad.org

Wow!!!!!! Where do you drive to? My 16 only has 5kmiles.

Sent from my HUAWEI ALE-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That"s why I bought Sienna, i think it can handle 150,000 - 200,000 a year for next 3 years - with regular proper maintenance.
Based in Henderson, NV - pickup and deliver medical cadavers between San Fran - San Diego - El Paso and all towns in between....

·
Registered
114 Posts
That"s why I bought Sienna, i think it can handle 150,000 - 200,000 a year for next 3 years - with regular proper maintenance.
Based in Henderson, NV - pickup and deliver medical cadavers between San Fran - San Diego - El Paso and all towns in between....
Nice. You are an extraordinary person!!! I have never put 200kmiles on any car I own...although I tried to. Just don't drive enough.

Sent from my HUAWEI ALE-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wow! That's a lot of driving! It seems like you have the right maintenance schedule. Normally the transmission fluid is a "lifetime" fluid but your driving dictates changing the fluid regularly. I would recommend sticking to 60k OCI on the transmission fluid. That's so you aren't under the van every month.

I'm not sure of the process to change the transmission fluid for these sealed transmissions. Maybe the first change, you should let the dealership handle it? You're still under warranty in case something goes wrong. Just a thought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From what I understand changing the fluid only changes out 75% of the fluid so they recommend doing a transmission "flush" where they hook it up to a machine and vacuum it all out and refill it back up completely.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's a ton of driving, and i thought my 14 with 88k was bad

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Did you figure this out? I need to do a drain and fill on my ua80 transmission. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If it is anything like the following video shows for a 6-speed gen 3 Sienna, you might want to have a professional mechanic do it unless you have the special tools:

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it is anything like the following video shows for a 6-speed gen 3 Sienna, you might want to have a professional mechanic do it unless you have the special tools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcecuGzTDg
I can do the procedure in this video. It's not that complicated. The new transaxle is different though -- no drain pan. I guess I'll have to wait until someone who's done it comes along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I took one for the team and went for it. The procedure is almost identical to the 2014-2016 video on youtube. There is no drain pan so the drain bolt is in the bottom.of the transmission case. The leveling tube is black instead of red. Fill bolt is exactly in the same spot and has 'WS' stamped on it. I used my scangauge to measure the temperature as I adjusted the level. The amount of fluid used was within an ounce of the fluid quantity I drained. Hope this helps someone who might be confused by the new setup like I was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for your experience. Was the temperature for fluid level check at 104 deg F to 113 degrees F?

Well, I took one for the team and went for it. The procedure is almost identical to the 2014-2016 video on youtube. There is no drain pan so the drain bolt is in the bottom.of the transmission case. The leveling tube is black instead of red. Fill bolt is exactly in the same spot and has 'WS' stamped on it. I used my scangauge to measure the temperature as I adjusted the level. The amount of fluid used was within an ounce of the fluid quantity I drained. Hope this helps someone who might be confused by the new setup like I was.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does that mean that you can use the HOV lane?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ok, so I bought a 2017 Sienna LE with 14 miles on it, now, three years later, I am at 353,000 miles No problems, no issues, runs great, doing 3,000 - 4,000 miles a week, I change motor oil & filter every 5,000 miles with Mobile One 0-20w full synthetic and 1 quart of Lucus Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. I also change the tranny fluid every 80,000-100,000. First time I used Toyota WS 2nd and 3rd time I used MaxLife MultiVehicle_ATF. In 2019 I bought a used 2018 Sienna LE from Hertz with 32,000 miles brought it home did fluide change, including tranny fluid. That sienna now has 150,000 miles. I do mostly (90%) highway miles.

This morning will be changing tranny fluid on both vans... again.

Here is my method:

1. Park van on level area. Van's engine and tranny must be cold!
2. Remove driver side front tire. (place tire under driver side van door for safety)
3. IMPORTANT: Use leveler to ensure van is level.
4. Loosen the fill plug from the side of tranny, from inside wheel well.
5. Remove drain plug from bottom of tranny. A trickel of oil may came out.
6. Remove the over flow tube allow oil to drain. (Use glass jar to catch some for oil inspection.)
7. Drain oil, around 3 1/2 qts
8. Replace over flow tube when oil stops. (Do not place drain plug yet!)
9. Pump in tranny fluid from side fill plug hole. No need measure oil wait for oil to drian from over flow tube.
10. Hand tighten drain plug, hand tighten fill plug.
11. Start engine allow to idle for 45-60 seconds.
12. Remove drain plug and over flow tube and drain.
13. Repeat steps 7,8, & 9
14. Repeat 10, 11, & 12
15. Each drain is an average of 3 - 3 1/2 quarts, On the third drain I cath some fluid in a 2nd glass jar and compare color with the old fluid (See step 6 )

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT
16. Replace over flow tube and fill until oil over flows, wait for it to stop and hand tighten drain plug.
17. Using the van's transmission diagnostic connector, run a jumper wire between port 4 & 13, start engine and shift between N and D six times to activate temperature mode. (Ebrake on and foot on brake pedal as tire is removed!)
18. Place in Park, wait for D light to light up, indicating proper tranny temperature.
19. Turn engine off, open remove drain plug and allow the expanded hot oil to drain from overflow tube.
20. When oil stops draining from over flow tube install drain plug.
21. It's done.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That is some really impressive mileage for that span of time.

As for the tranny drain/refill, you can replace these three steps work a single one

2. Remove driver side front tire. (place tire under driver side van door for safety)

1. Park van on level area and turn the front wheels all the way to the left.

This gives you enough space to access the tranny fill plug and you can easily reach the drain plug, feel it and then remove both the outer and inner plugs. It also eliminates the hassle of leveling it

·
Registered
895 Posts
Two questions, off topic for Sienna-2017:

What has your spark plug maintenance/experience/observations been?

Have you had your fuel pumps replaced under the recall?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Ok, so I bought a 2017 Sienna LE with 14 miles on it, now, three years later, I am at 353,000 miles No problems, no issues, runs great, doing 3,000 - 4,000 miles a week, I change motor oil & filter every 5,000 miles with Mobile One 0-20w full synthetic and 1 quart of Lucus Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. I also change the tranny fluid every 80,000-100,000. First time I used Toyota WS 2nd and 3rd time I used MaxLife MultiVehicle_ATF. In 2019 I bought a used 2018 Sienna LE from Hertz with 32,000 miles brought it home did fluide change, including tranny fluid. That sienna now has 150,000 miles. I do mostly (90%) highway miles.

This morning will be changing tranny fluid on both vans... again.

Here is my method:

4. Loosen the fill plug from the side of tranny, from inside wheel well.
5. Remove drain plug from bottom of tranny. A trickel of oil may came out.
6. Remove the over flow tube allow oil to drain. (Use glass jar to catch some for oil inspection.)
7. Drain oil, around 3 1/2 qts
8. Replace over flow tube when oil stops. (Do not place drain plug yet!)
9. Pump in tranny fluid from side fill plug hole. No need measure oil wait for oil to drian from over flow tube.
10. Hand tighten drain plug, hand tighten fill plug.
11. Start engine allow to idle for 45-60 seconds.
12. Remove drain plug and over flow tube and drain.
13. Repeat steps 7,8, & 9
14. Repeat 10, 11, & 12
15. Each drain is an average of 3 - 3 1/2 quarts, On the third drain I cath some fluid in a 2nd glass jar and compare color with the old fluid (See step 6 )

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT
16. Replace over flow tube and fill until oil over flows, wait for it to stop and hand tighten drain plug.
17. Using the van's transmission diagnostic connector, run a jumper wire between port 4 & 13, start engine and shift between N and D six times to activate temperature mode. (Ebrake on and foot on brake pedal as tire is removed!)
18. Place in Park, wait for D light to light up, indicating proper tranny temperature.
19. Turn engine off, open remove drain plug and allow the expanded hot oil to drain from overflow tube.
20. When oil stops draining from over flow tube install drain plug.
21. It's done.

View attachment 47253 View attachment 47254
Anyone have the torque specs for drain, filler, and overflow?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I just performed a 2x drain and fill on my 2018, at 61,000 miles; I'll do a 1x, when I put the snow tires on. That used a little over 6 quarts. The van seems quieter, and to shift a bit smoother, but that could be the placebo effect, too.

Notes: on first removing the drain plug, a lot more than a trickle came out of my transmission (cold, 45 degrees), adding up to about 15 ounces (over-full?). I used a new drain plug washer, and felt it compress - probably around 25 ft-lbs, by feel. You don't want to overtighten the drain plug, lest you round out the 10mm hex on the plug, next time. (For the plastic overflow tube, just turn it with a 6mm hex until it stops.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts