Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good call picking up the metal one. Shame they are getting cheaper switching more and more from metal. We have a metal one on our 2011. When our complimentary oil changes stopped, I had to use heat and long pipe over the breaker bar to get it off. The idiots at dealer over torqued it like crazy. Years later, when I went in for a steering issue, (thx goodness for extended warranty), I asked them to change it while I was there. Next time it was due, the same thing happened. I took it back to their service manager and made him go out and see what it took them to get it off while I was standing there. Their own guy had to use heat and breaker bar. I told them to look up the last guy who did it and fire his ass. No place for a person like that working on cars. Sorry, moral of the story is get a good torque wrench and always follow torque specs on that housing. You’ll thank yourself everytime you change it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A really fruitful morning.
Took off the filter cap this morning, torque too much and heard crispy clear sound, I btoke it! Went to advanced auto get a metal cap, $26 after tax.
now this time it has both o ring pre installed.
Two lesson learned,
1. Original factory setting is plastic! Toyota tried every inch to save cost.
2. Dealer does not always do a proper job. That o ring should always be there.
View attachment 45583 View attachment 45584
You should always use the special wrench designed specifically for the type of filter. The wing you broke off is not designed to remove the filter by itself. The image is of a Ease2U available at Amazon for about $10.

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
When our complimentary oil changes stopped, I had to use heat and long pipe over the breaker bar to get it off.

Their own guy had to use heat and breaker bar.
Just curious, what sort of heat are you talking about and how did you or the tech apply it to the metal housing. If you run the van for 15-20 minutes, the housing gets very hot which should be.adequate for the housing to be twisted off with a breaker bar.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts