Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2017 XLE AWD with 22,000 miles on October 5th. I read before I bought it about the many folks who had transmission issues. However, it was a good deal, and I thought I could follow the guide and have the ECU Updated for better shifting. I took it in to dealer on October 11th, and showed them the TSB article for updating the ECU. I got a phone call later that day and they stated the tech drove the car, and said that the ECU update won't do anything and instead it'll need a new transmission. Luckily, it was under warranty. Today, October 17th, I got the vehicle back, and I must say, the new Transmission shifts much more smoothly now. Here's hoping for a trouble-free experience!

Capture.JPG

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
I'd have to go back and look at the mfg dates, but a lot of 'suspect' transmissions were built and the recommendation is that they be pulled if the simple fixes don't work. Keep us posted on how this goes for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
And a post I put up on the Highlander board with some rebuilt part numbers. Looks like your Sienna AWD U880f is indeed identical to the unit in the Highlander:

This is some transmission part number data I've been able to gather. I'd love to see what some of the prior repair orders listed for the replacement versus what new repairs going forward will say to see if this checks out.

New TSB replacement = 30510-45071-84 = 2017 Highlander FWD. Replaces original factory tranny 30500-45070 and the earlier rebuilt unit 30510-45070-84

New TSB replacement = 30510-45081-84 = 2017 Highlander AWD. Replaces original factory tranny 30500-45060 and the earlier rebuilt unit 30510-45080-84

New TSB replacement = 30510-48601-84 = 2017 Highlander AWD with Start-Stop. Replaces original factory tranny 30500-48580 / 30500-48600 / 30500-48601 and the earlier rebuilt unit 30510-48600-84

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drove it over 100 miles today. So far so good. I did notice one time, there was the slightest of a "thunk" when slowing down to a stop. Other than that, what a major difference in performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So far drove over 500 miles on New transmission. I know it's not much, I work very close to home. So far so good.
What were your experiencing with the bad transmission? I've driven sedans and wagons my whole life, so I don't necessarily know what to chalk up to it just being a huge vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Certain model Siennas built during the first production runs of the new 8 Speed Transmission had an issue where the transmission would Rev very high before shifting to the next gear. This was especially apparent when starting from a stop. Toyota issued TSBs for this issue. I felt it right away when I purchased my 2017 model, the first time Toyota switched to the 8 Speed Transmission. This did not affect 2016 and before, which used a 6 speed transmission.

Also, other that I have read had complete transmission failures, such as coming to a red light and then the car would no longer move forward. Others reported a whining noise at highway speeds. I didn't experience these issues, but only the high rpm shift / slow startup speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Certain model Siennas built during the first production runs of the new 8 Speed Transmission had an issue where the transmission would Rev very high before shifting to the next gear. This was especially apparent when starting from a stop. Toyota issued TSBs for this issue. I felt it right away when I purchased my 2017 model, the first time Toyota switched to the 8 Speed Transmission. This did not affect 2016 and before, which used a 6 speed transmission.

Also, other that I have read had complete transmission failures, such as coming to a red light and then the car would no longer move forward. Others reported a whining noise at highway speeds. I didn't experience these issues, but only the high rpm shift / slow startup speed.
yeah, bought mine 2018 used and it kinda drove just like the honda's & chryslers with the zf 9-speed. it definitely seems hesitant to shift with what I'd refer to as 'parking lot driving techniques'. If I drive heavy footed it's fine, but light footed driving under 20 mph is really sloppy. What do you recommend me doing as far as taking it in to a dealer to have them look at it? You said you brought in a TSB? I'm not 100% what this is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TSB Technical Service Bulletin, when a manufacture identifies an issue with a vehicle, but it is not a recall. I brought my Sienna to the dealer, and first explained the issues I was having, so the adviser typed it up in the computer. Then I presented to him the following two TSB's. One from Consumer Reports and the other from fibber2. I took both of these to the dealer. I was expecting a software flash / update to the ECU, but I got a call stating the tech drove the van and confirmed that a ECU update would not resolve the issue, but instead a transmission replacement. I haven't really heard of the issue affecting 2018 models. The TSB only specifies 2017, but since they are both pretty much the same transmission, it's worth a shot.

Fibber2's Post

Consumer's Report article

·
Registered
5 Posts
TSB Technical Service Bulletin, when a manufacture identifies an issue with a vehicle, but it is not a recall. I brought my Sienna to the dealer, and first explained the issues I was having, so the adviser typed it up in the computer. Then I presented to him the following two TSB's. One from Consumer Reports and the other from fibber2. I took both of these to the dealer. I was expecting a software flash / update to the ECU, but I got a call stating the tech drove the van and confirmed that a ECU update would not resolve the issue, but instead a transmission replacement. I haven't really heard of the issue affecting 2018 models. The TSB only specifies 2017, but since they are both pretty much the same transmission, it's worth a shot.

Fibber2's Post

Consumer's Report article
Thanks,

I though i read in another thread here that the 2017 problem transmissions found their way into early 2018 models too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just passed the 1000 mile mark on the new transmission. At this point, I think I am good to go. Still, it was scary to hear days after I bought the van that it needed a new transmission. All is good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts