Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The van started this morning. Parked it at a store for 10 minutes and re-entered it. Went to push the start button and the triangle caution symbol was flashing along with the orange colored "lock/van" symbol which I believe is the anti-theft symbol. The dash kept saying "Push brake pedal, push engine switch with key". I kept doing that but nothing would happen.

Nobody tried to break in or steal the van so my question is has anyone had this problem before? i originally thought it was the battery or key fob battery, but after letting the van sit for twenty or so minutes it started.

Anyone have this problem?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The van started this morning. Parked it at a store for 10 minutes and re-entered it. Went to push the start button and the triangle caution symbol was flashing along with the orange colored "lock/van" symbol which I believe is the anti-theft symbol. The dash kept saying "Push brake pedal, push engine switch with key". I kept doing that but nothing would happen.

Nobody tried to break in or steal the van so my question is has anyone had this problem before? i originally thought it was the battery or key fob battery, but after letting the van sit for twenty or so minutes it started.

Anyone have this problem?
I wonder if you have an issue with the key FOB battery. The icon that looks like a key is displayed when the fob signal isn't 'good enough'. The work-around is to get the fob right next to the start button to give it best chance of getting signal.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,682 Posts
Vanessa17 is correct. This happened to our Sienna and my kid's RAV4 this past year. Both times it was the coin cell battery in the remote.

Push-to-Start uses an active RF transmitter. The van knows that the Fob is in the vehicle and all it now takes is a push of the ignition button. When that dies, the backup plan is to use the passive 80 bit encryption chip within the Fob and the very low power transponder mounted behind the push button to verify that a properly paired 'key' is near the ignition switch. Poke at the button with the fob, and the van should start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it’s probably safe to say the battery in that key fob is probably bad, and their was no “range” when pressing the start button. After a few attempts to start the car, the anti theft system kicked in and probably disabled the vehicle for a period of time.

Time to change the key fob battery.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,682 Posts
I can't say for absolute certainty that there isn't something else at play here, but a bad battery is the most likely cause and replacement is the most likely fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts