Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2017 XLE a couple months ago. We're happy with it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the sound system. Has anyone upgraded their non-JBL system in any way without replacing the head unit? I'd like to keep the head unit in place and retain those factory features, but I just want everything to sound better. And I'm not sure that simply upgrading to aftermarket speakers would make that big of a difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This summer I put in Focal IS690Toy component speakers in the front doors and dash tweeter locations, kicker 6 and 1/4 speakers in the back speaker locations (reuse the oem speaker housings), and a Kicker Key 180 watt (45x4) amp in my 2017 SE. I made the T-harness for behind the radio to the amp, but T-harnesses can be found online that will work.

The sound is so much richer and more pronounced than the oem setup. I kept the Entune Premium with Navigation radio, as I like the integration with instrument cluster.

I did the work myself, including the sound deadening while I had everything open. It was a bit of work, but well worth it. The Focal speakers are pricey, but they just fit in and have wiring adapters to use the existing wiring. Was worth the cost for ease of installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This summer I put in Focal IS690Toy component speakers in the front doors and dash tweeter locations, kicker 6 and 1/4 speakers in the back speaker locations (reuse the oem speaker housings), and a Kicker Key 180 watt (45x4) amp in my 2017 SE. I made the T-harness for behind the radio to the amp, but T-harnesses can be found online that will work.

The sound is so much richer and more pronounced than the oem setup. I kept the Entune Premium with Navigation radio, as I like the integration with instrument cluster.

I did the work myself, including the sound deadening while I had everything open. It was a bit of work, but well worth it. The Focal speakers are pricey, but they just fit in and have wiring adapters to use the existing wiring. Was worth the cost for ease of installation.
Thanks for posting what you did. This definitely gives me an idea of what I need to do.

Where did you put the amp? That's one of the smaller amps I've seen..

Is that Focal set basically just plug-and-play? From what I've reading, it's designed that way but wasn't sure if you had to do any small modifications. It's a bit pricey, but doesn't seem to be over the top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for posting what you did. This definitely gives me an idea of what I need to do.

Where did you put the amp? That's one of the smaller amps I've seen..

Is that Focal set basically just plug-and-play? From what I've reading, it's designed that way but wasn't sure if you had to do any small modifications. It's a bit pricey, but doesn't seem to be over the top.
The Focal set is all plug and play, no modifications needed for the speakers.

As for the Kicker Key, I used a small piece of ABS plastic as the amp mount and bolted the ABS plate to the side of the plastic computer holder behind the glove box. If you take out the glove box, you will see a white plastic holder with multiple slots for computer boxes in it. On my SE, several of the slot on the right side were empty, which allowed me to drill 3 holes on the right side to mount the ABS. I made sure to mount the amp with the adjustment screws facing down, but would advise making all adjustments prior to fully securing the mount in the van. Bending into the foot well and trying to see the screws once mounted is not easy.

For the amp power wire, I came in through the grommet near the brake pedal, same place you can run the power wire for a trailer hitch if you put one of those in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts