Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting hit by an inattentive driver, my 2004 Sienna LE is about to be totaled by the insurance company, so we are looking at new and new-ish used Siennas. Wife wants a powered rear hatch, so that seems to mean we are looking for an XLE, and every one we've seen has in-dash navigation and Entune. My understanding is that there may be a subscription requirement to use basic navigation tasks like finding an address or checking for traffic. The "salesman" I asked about the GPS features had no idea how the system worked. (He knew very little about any of the van's features. Too much trouble for him to browse through an owner's manual, I guess.)

We average less than 8000 miles a year on our van, sometimes it just sits in the garage for a 2-3 weeks at time, so paying monthly subscription fees for functions that may not even be used makes no sense.

So, if we choose not to pay subscription fees, what functions will still work after any "trial" subscriptions expire?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Here's a link to the current fees for Toyota connected services after the trial periods expire: https://www.toyota.com/content/entune/responsive/pdf/Connected_Services_Pricing.pdf

Subscription fees on several of the services are less expensive if paid annually than monthly.

There are two navigation systems available in the 2018-2020 XLE. The 2019-2020 comes with Apple CarPlay which can display iPhone navigation apps and the 2018 can be retrofitted with CarPlay. The 2021 Sienna will likely have both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

You can view the owners and navigation manuals in the owners section of the Toyota website.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After getting hit by an inattentive driver, my 2004 Sienna LE is about to be totaled by the insurance company, so we are looking at new and new-ish used Siennas. Wife wants a powered rear hatch, so that seems to mean we are looking for an XLE, and every one we've seen has in-dash navigation and Entune. My understanding is that there may be a subscription requirement to use basic navigation tasks like finding an address or checking for traffic. The "salesman" I asked about the GPS features had no idea how the system worked. (He knew very little about any of the van's features. Too much trouble for him to browse through an owner's manual, I guess.)

We average less than 8000 miles a year on our van, sometimes it just sits in the garage for a 2-3 weeks at time, so paying monthly subscription fees for functions that may not even be used makes no sense.

So, if we choose not to pay subscription fees, what functions will still work after any "trial" subscriptions expire?
I have the 2019 XLE AWD for a year now without subscription. The navigation still works after 20K. Their navigation software is at least 7 years behind Garmin. I use my phone and Garmin GPS most of the time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought a used 2019 XLE today with the most basic audio and without the navigation package. It still has some time remaining on it's various trial subscriptions, but I don't think we will be renewing any of them. I just don't see any value in them for our purposes. Our Garmin works better than the navigation package and even our older smartphones work better than the Scout app, without cellular service.

Thanks for the input, it helped me understand just what the subscriptions are all about.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I still have the subscriptions on our 2018 so I don't know. I also have a 2013 4Runner with no subscriptions. The Entune still works for phone calls and the GPS works fine. Just key in an address, it finds it and saves like a handheld Garmin unit. After you get accustomed to the odd Japanese logic, the GPS in not as bad as many indicate. I do think Toyota could learn a lot for Garmin.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Bought a used 2019 XLE today with the most basic audio and without the navigation package. It still has some time remaining on it's various trial subscriptions, but I don't think we will be renewing any of them.
At least get the subscriptions in your name. Your 2019 XLE came with a 3-year trial subscriptions to the Safety Connect emergency service. If it hasn't been put in your name, a Toyota dealership should be able to help you do it or you might be able to do it by pressing the SOS button and speaking with an operator at the call center.

Even if you don't want XM radio now, getting it in your name will likely get you offers of discounts. It's not worth full price to me but I've never paid more than $60/year (before taxes) at discount prices.

I wish I had thought to try GPS Scout in our last rental Toyota. Then maybe I would understand what people are complaining about. The older generation nav systems in our 2014 Sienna and 2012 Prius work quite well and we use them very frequently.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought a used 2019 XLE today with the most basic audio and without the navigation package. It still has some time remaining on it's various trial subscriptions, but I don't think we will be renewing any of them. I just don't see any value in them for our purposes. Our Garmin works better than the navigation package and even our older smartphones work better than the Scout app, without cellular service.

Thanks for the input, it helped me understand just what the subscriptions are all about.
How exciting! Congrats!! How do you like it? May it last many, many years and run like a top.

We’re about to buy this ourselves, if everything goes through as expected. We’ve not yet driven or even seen the van. Or driven any of the newer Siennas. Our older Sienna died and we couldn’t find anything that compared. It’s hard to go to those mid-size SUVs with the ridiculous and virtually unusable third row seats - then have no cargo space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts