Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I installed Air Lift 1000 bags in my new 2018 LE in preparation for its inaugural road trip to Florida. Unfortunately I ran into a little issue. Which leads to my question, has anyone else installed these on a 2018 yet, and what were your results?

I ordered the 60732 kit which according to Air Lifts website is the correct one. The bags were stamped with the # 46172 and measure 6 1/2” tall and 4 1/8” in diameter. I installed them “upside down” with the air line and spacer on top per the video on Etrailer.

The issue I have is the bags seem too small. When inflated there is space inside the spring that allows them to be loose. About a half inch in height I’d say. Comparing them to old bags I pulled out of my 2005 they are smaller in height and diameter. Maybe they expand over time, I don’t know. The problem is they thump and rattle over small bumps because of this. Really annoying in my brand spanking new van. So I pulled the bags out for now.

I do have an inquiry into Air Lift about this. I submitted a detailed question to the contact on their website. Nearly 2 weeks later I got what appears to be an automated reply asking if there is anything they can still help with. I did reply that my questions still remain, I’ll see if they get back to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
A half inch too much play in height or diameter? They shouldn't fill the spot top to bottom, as most of the time the spring is not in full compression. They work not by hitting the top and bottom limits, but by restricting and delaying the motion of the coils they contact side to side. They are really more like 'stiffeners' than boosters.

Here's a picture from my write-up when I did my old 2008. I also did 'valve up', and there's some gap at the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About a half inch in height, less in diameter. This is when inflated.

Is your picture with the van jacked up, or wheels on the ground with the spring compressed?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a pic of one of my old bags with the new for comparison. Maybe they expand with use. I’ll see if or what I hear back from Air Lift. I could install the bags using both the old and new spacers, that would probably take up the vertical slack with the van’s weight on the springs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I’d put my conclusion to this.

I never did hear back again from AirLift.

What I ended up doing was reinstalling the airbags with both the spacers from my old and new set. This took up the vertical space that was allowing them to rattle over small bumps. Why this happened I may never know. The only theory I have is, I installed them in late winter when it was cold (40s F), and maybe they could not expand properly at this temperature.

They are working great now.

Reactions: Craigrrr

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not hearing back from airlift is disappointing. I thought they had "legendary support"....

I just today received my air bags. Haven't installed them yet, but maybe this weekend. 2018 sienna, so 46172 bags.

@fibber:. What is the purpose of the soup lid?

·
Registered
152 Posts
@fibber:. Nevermind, I found your original post.

For others who wonder, the soup lid was extra protection from scuffing/abrasion to the bottom of the air bag. Or if not that, at least to make fibber feel better.

Hopefully my install goes quickly and easily. I'll shoot for 2 hours and end up at 4 or 12, as I tend to overthink things, too.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
@fibber:. Nevermind, I found your original post.

For others who wonder, the soup lid was extra protection from scuffing/abrasion to the bottom of the air bag. Or if not that, at least to make fibber feel better.
LOL! Hey, I'm the quintessential anal retentive engineer! My employer pays me well to sweat the details, and I take that mantra home with me too.

I found a number of welding burrs, spring ends and scuff points on the seat area that I felt threatened the integrity of the bags. With every seasonal tire change (I run snows in the winter) I would inspect and most times replace those soup lids. They became very deformed and sometimes even cracked, presumably from high spring compression events. I thought about another set of red disks, but wondered if they would stay in place without a bag nipple/line keeping them centered. Net is I still think some level of protection is a wise move.

·
Registered
356 Posts
2 cents inserting now...lol maybe place some old cut up inner tube over the soup lid even to make it more "bullet" proof

·
Registered
152 Posts
LOL! Hey, I'm the quintessential anal retentive engineer! My employer pays me well to sweat the details, and I take that mantra home with me too.
Let me guess, evereyone pokes fun at you for "overthinking" everything...but those same people come looking for you when they have questions?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I did my install today -- I think it took about 4 hours. I didn't find any burs or welding slag or similar issues on my car, but insill probably put some spacer in there just in case.

I wasn't too thrilled with putting the sir springs in upside down, some started out inztalling them as the instructions say (nipple down), but soon figured out why everyone wants to install them either the nipple up. I'm still not sure about having the spacer floating around on top, kept centred by a barb fitting and hose.

I drove it a bit at 35 PSI (,unloaded) and drove harsh and the rear end wandered bit.. 15 psi is much better...I may keep.it that wat but probably will drop to 10 psi..

I found get some creaks from the back, but mostly soon after a pressure change....seems quiet down after s bit of driving.

Of course the rest test is when I tow with it...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just installed the same kit on my Sienna (2011)

I did the nipple up. I did noticed they looked a bit small. I had them on my 2004 and 2007 (different kit)

I had access to a hoist. Install took about 30 mins. I did lower the van back to ground level to inflate them. Some people used baby powder and a wood spoon the get the bags in.

I cleaned the rear coils. I used 'spray silicone' in a can. Worked great.

My other kits came with a sticker. My new kit did not. hehe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is about 6 months old but I found the airlift ones too week for what I needed. I installed firestone bags because I could order the bags as a set by dimension and ordered them to fit the complete spring.

The first set of airlift ones I got one made it about 8 hours into a 12hr trip pulling our trailer, I had to have the bags at the max, 35psi to have any type of support what so ever. We where staying at this place for a week so I ordered a second set to replace the first.... come to find out both of the bags had holes in the from the factory but I slowly found this out on our trip home. Replacing the faster leaking one with the old good bag.

So I got smart and thought things through if I could catch all the coils of the spring then it would offer more support, but when I called airlift they where no help. But only helping in fact of sending me a new set of replacement back ups for the first set.

I returned the second set and replaced them with a set firestone ones that fit the entire spring. These didn't need the full 35psi to offer support only about 20 psi for the same load I had had before.
Screenshot_20190904-220510_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20190904-220701_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20190801-053646_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20190904-202059_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20190801-213658_Photos.jpg

·
Registered
586 Posts
In our 2007, I had an Airlift brand bag start leaking within a few months after installing. They sent me a new bag no hassle. The second one went out 12 years later. They sent me two new bags free no hassle. I run them at 35psi when towing and around 10psi when solo. I'm pleased with their performance and impressed by their customer service.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts