Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a fast lube place today for a 30K oil change. They said that the plastic oil filter cover was cracked and they had to get a newer style metal cover from Toyota. I had to pay $70 (their cost) for the part. Anyone else run into this issue?

·
Super Moderator
4,665 Posts
Common, unfortunately. When Toyota went this route (disposable insert) over a decade ago, the housing was a metal alloy. A few years ago they went to polymer (plastic), and the complaints started rolling in across the Toyota universe.

·
Super Moderator
4,665 Posts
The problem is common. The price is not.... Markup.

Of course the quicklube place wants $50 to change a cabin air filter that I bought for $9. Learn to do stuff yourself, or pay the man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Sinister2c. The one you link to won't fit the 2018, but I found that the OEM part from Toyota retails for $50.96. So this shop's cost was probably $35. I told them they made a few bucks, but lost a customer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does the 2018 use a different one? I thought they were all the same size when I changed oils for my 2011,2015, and 2020 Sienna.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are probably correct. The part I located at Toyota Parts is actually the OEM plastic part - which has a different part number. I don't change my own oil anymore, so I'm not an expert on this stuff.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks, Sinister2c. The one you link to won't fit the 2018, but I found that the OEM part from Toyota retails for $50.96. So this shop's cost was probably $35. I told them they made a few bucks, but lost a customer.
Amazon says it doesn't fit because it is listed as the plastic one. You need the metal one if you are going to replace. The plastic is garbage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts