Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! A question for some other 2018 Sienna owners,

Have any of you been able to get a factory remote start for your 2018 Sienna with push button start? Since we bought ours last February, the dealer has told us there is no OEM remote start for the 2018 Sienna. Originally when we ordered the van, we were under the impression remote start would be available through the Entune app.

Last time I checked with the dealer about remote start was in August. They said they tried the 2017 remote start in a van, and were unable to get it to work.

Second question, does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket plug and play remote start? We do not want a universal aftermarket system. I saw at least 2 companies make plug and play units for the Sienna.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Just go to BestBuy and put an aftermarket remote start. More range but you can opt for the factory key fob for use.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called our dealer today to see if there was indeed a remote start for the 2018. They told me there was not a factory OEM solution, but they offered a third party solution.

There is a company called 12.volt that makes a completely plug and play remote start. The dealer said it would not have any impact on the factory warranty. According to the parts department, it functions exactly like the OEM remote start did on the prior years. We will likely go this route.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just go to BestBuy and put an aftermarket remote start. More range but you can opt for the factory key fob for use.

Does Best Buy offer a plug and play solution? I really don't like the idea of hacking up the tiny wires they put in modern cars. We tend to keep our vehicles 15 years, and don't want to deal with hassles down the road.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Does Best Buy offer a plug and play solution? I really don't like the idea of hacking up the tiny wires they put in modern cars. We tend to keep our vehicles 15 years, and don't want to deal with hassles down the road.
Most of them are plug and play if you just use the remote start unless you opt for other optional convenience. They use specific harness for the vehicle. I've seen the ones from 12V, you still have to do the install yourself and the price is the same from BB and you are covered with the labor part and lifetime warranty for the module aka "brain" of the remote start.. But think about the warranty problems. If something goes wrong with your remote start/module, will you be covered by 12V? Why would you have to go through the hassle of doing it yourself if the price is the same?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of them are plug and play if you just use the remote start unless you opt for other optional convenience. They use specific harness for the vehicle. I've seen the ones from 12V, you still have to do the install yourself and the price is the same from BB and you are covered with the labor part and lifetime warranty for the module aka "brain" of the remote start.. But think about the warranty problems. If something goes wrong with your remote start/module, will you be covered by 12V? Why would you have to go through the hassle of doing it yourself if the price is the same?

Very good points, I will have to check that out. What brand of remote start did you go with?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I called our dealer today to see if there was indeed a remote start for the 2018. They told me there was not a factory OEM solution, but they offered a third party solution.

There is a company called 12.volt that makes a completely plug and play remote start. The dealer said it would not have any impact on the factory warranty. According to the parts department, it functions exactly like the OEM remote start did on the prior years. We will likely go this route.

I guess the brochure stating remote start was an available accessory for 2018 Sienna meant it was a Port added accessory and not a factory added accessory?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Very good points, I will have to check that out. What brand of remote start did you go with?
Compustar. Did a search between viper vs compustar and compustar seems to have more favorable reviews based on ease of installation and customer service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put a remote starter with cell phone module in from 12volt solutions in Oct. It's totally plug and play. It took longer to put all the trim pieces back on than put it in. It was 1/2 the price the dealer wanted for a factory one with no cell module. Have had no problem with it. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before you go this route, ask the dealer what the range is for this auto start. I had a dealer installed remote put into my wife’s Toyota Camry, and I am lucky if it will start when we are in a restaurant in the car is parked across the street. I had a CompuServe remote installed in my Sienna, and I am glad I did. It has a range of 3000 feet And I can start it far enough away that it is always warm when I get there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
agree with not shying away from an aftermarket install. the dealer set up an appointment with a car audio place in town who came out to my driveway to install a fob unit into my new 2011 XLE. not sure how the fob works but i've been able to start my van from the 17th floor of a high rise from the opposite side of the building. not one problem since install. pretty amazing, and i love getting into a pre-warmed ride.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Sorry to post to an old thread but I came here to ask the question about 12.Volt remote start voiding the factory warranty. Do you mind me asking which dealer you contacted? Also, did you end up installing the 12.Volt remote start unit. I just got my 2018 Sienna SE and I will probably install the 12.Volt myself.

Btw, here's their install video for Siennas with push button start.

They also offer a unit for Siennas without push button start (i.e. key start).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up adding the 12volt.solutions remote start to our 2018. It works great and took me about 20 minutes to install. It is completely plug and play as advertised.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My dealer is putting in a remote start on a 2019 sienna for me. He says that the engine will cut off if the door is opened. I said OK to that since I"m in Arizona & want the interior cooled somewhat before I get there.

Has anyone else heard about the engine quitting when a door is opened??? Also; the door fob is used for starting the engine remotely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello! A question for some other 2018 Sienna owners,

Have any of you been able to get a factory remote start for your 2018 Sienna with push button start? Since we bought ours last February, the dealer has told us there is no OEM remote start for the 2018 Sienna. Originally when we ordered the van, we were under the impression remote start would be available through the Entune app.

Last time I checked with the dealer about remote start was in August. They said they tried the 2017 remote start in a van, and were unable to get it to work.

Second question, does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket plug and play remote start? We do not want a universal aftermarket system. I saw at least 2 companies make plug and play units for the Sienna.

Thanks for your help!
I have the genuine Toyota remote starter on my 2018. Three buttons on the front and the Toyota emblem is embossed on the back. I would personally not choose it again however, I would go with an aftermarket 2 way model. The range is terrible on this unit although they claim 800 meters. It also only has start and stop function on the remote, not lock buttons. However, if the vehicle is unlocked it will not start. On my old Sienna with the aftermarket starter I could use the remote to lock the van (when I forgot) even when it was parked a ways away and I got the confirmation through the 2 way remote. This remote has a very basic two way function on it; it plays a very soft sound that is very easy to miss once the vehicle starts. It also limits you to starting the vehicle once or twice then it will not operate it again unless you drive the vehicle first. When it is -28 and you want to start it every couple of hours at work it just doesn't work (like tonight). I would not recommend it to anyone. I think it was about $700.00 Canadian.
remote starter.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts