Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just as stated, not sure what the deal is. Cannot change the time, as the clock settings do not allow any change nor display of changing it by HH or MM. Unfortunately I bought used and it has almost 37K miles...so no go on warranty.

Have tried pairing, un-pairing, not using bluetooth. Have tried with and without Entune app, "soft resetting" radio with no luck.

I'm half inclined to replace with an Android Auto unit anyway. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
717 Posts
There's no software update for our 2018s.

My van is the same vintage, but my display is slightly different on the clock screen. Also, the van came with no manuals. Do you have your "navigation and multimedia" manual?

If not, there are manuals online at Toyota.com/owners. It's a good idea to put your VIN in on that site
15681985924562215841769155933596.jpg
, for vehicle-specific info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My van is the same vintage, but my display is slightly different on the clock screen. Also, the van came with no manuals. Do you have your "navigation and multimedia" manual?

If not, there are manuals online at Toyota.com/owners. It's a good idea to put your VIN in on that site View attachment 44502 , for vehicle-specific info.
Thanks for the info, I did consult the specific PDF manual which indicates there should be a way to adjust the clock, since I do not have the Auto Adjust by GPS option. No other option seems to be presented in the system. I don't know if a battery dis/re-connect would help to resolve but I suppose it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I took a look at the manual too. There is a reset procedure, but it seems to be for a crashed app situation. Hold down the Power button for 3 seconds.

Sounds like a re-initiaize is all you have left to try. (You may need to then also re-initiaize the power sliding door(s), too.)

Our year's system is cumbersome at best.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts

If not, there are manuals online at Toyota.com/owners. It's a good idea to put your VIN in on that site View attachment 44502 , for vehicle-specific info.
My screen looks exactly like this and I don't have a navigation system (which is actually different from GPS).
I wonder why yours doesn't have the 'Auto Adjust by GPS' option.

Does everything else in the van work ok? I checked the manuals for fuses and the clock shows up in many of the fuses which is why I'm asking in case it's a fuse (but that would mean that other stuff doesn't work)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My screen looks exactly like this and I don't have a navigation system (which is actually different from GPS).
I wonder why yours doesn't have the 'Auto Adjust by GPS' option.

Does everything else in the van work ok? I checked the manuals for fuses and the clock shows up in many of the fuses which is why I'm asking in case it's a fuse (but that would mean that other stuff doesn't work)
Interestingly this is a purchased car from Hertz, so I wonder if somehow fleet vehicles don't include that? Seems odd if so. Everything else works well as far as I can tell. I had the hazard switch recently replaced at the dealership, which is connected to the AC control module.

How would I "re-initialize"? Disconnecting the battery? Is there a hard reset I can perform besides deleting personal data and pushing the power button for 3 seconds (it's a really quick reset process).

Has anyone swapped out for an Android Auto unit? I am honestly just stumped on why this thing doesn't work and am inclined to explore that as a viable option, but hope I wouldn't have the same issue presented there.

Can't figure it out...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Thanks for the info, I did consult the specific PDF manual which indicates there should be a way to adjust the clock, since I do not have the Auto Adjust by GPS option. No other option seems to be presented in the system. I don't know if a battery dis/re-connect would help to resolve but I suppose it's worth a shot.
I'm barely knowledgeable about the 2018-up Toyota head units except for rental car experience but I'll try.

Which Sienna model do you have and does it have navigation?

If it has navigation, does it have the system that uses Scout GPS or the premium navigation version that doesn't?

If it is the Scout GPS version, have you downloaded the Scout GPS phone app from the Apple app store or Google Play, configured it on your cell phone and done any available head unit updates through it? I'm winging it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm barely knowledgeable about the 2018-up Toyota head units except for rental car experience but I'll try.

Which Sienna model do you have and does it have navigation?

If it has navigation, does it have the system that uses Scout GPS or the premium navigation version that doesn't?

If it is the Scout GPS version, have you downloaded the Scout GPS phone app from the Apple app store or Google Play, configured it on your cell phone and done any available head unit updates through it? I'm winging it!
Thanks!

I have the LE (Edited from SE) and it does NOT have navigation (nor GPS apparently). The only app I can determine that has any value is the Entune one from Toyota but I've found it to be worthless. I tried seeing if that connection made a difference and it did not.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Thanks!

I have the LE (Edited from SE) and it does NOT have navigation (nor GPS apparently). The only app I can determine that has any value is the Entune one from Toyota but I've found it to be worthless. I tried seeing if that connection made a difference and it did not.
Edit: I suppose I should confirm that your LE is a 2018. Is it?

According to the 2018 Sienna Sales brochure, the 2018 LE has standard Scout GPS Link with a 3-year complementary subscription. See the brochure at: http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Toyota/Sienna/Toyota_US Sienna_2018.pdf

I wonder if downloading and configuring Scout GPS will cause the missing "Auto Adjust by GPS" to appear on your settings screen.

There are several relevant videos on YouTube ... here is one of them:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Edit: I suppose I should confirm that your LE is a 2018. Is it?

According to the 2018 Sienna Sales brochure, the 2018 LE has standard Scout GPS Link with a 3-year complementary subscription. See the brochure at: http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Toyota/Sienna/Toyota_US Sienna_2018.pdf

I wonder if downloading and configuring Scout GPS will cause the missing "Auto Adjust by GPS" to appear on your settings screen.

There are several relevant videos on YouTube ... here is one of them:

Edit: I guess there is a different program I was looking at. Will give the Scout GPS Link installation a try, hoping to unlock the ability to change the clock. How crazy!

Yes, it is (a 2018). I did see the trial but thought that was just for accident assistance. I will research this a bit further but also wonder if that would help unlock the option. Just seems odd that the clock DID work at one point but now does not.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Just seems odd that the clock DID work at one point but now does not.
Well that is new information! Holding out on us, eh? That might indicate a defect if the clock previously worked. Maybe the dealer tech disconnected the battery before replacing the hazard switch somehow mucking up the clock. Is that when the clock stopped displaying?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that is new information! Holding out on us, eh? That might indicate a defect if the clock previously worked. Maybe the dealer tech disconnected the battery before replacing the hazard switch somehow mucking up the clock. Is that when the clock stopped displaying?
My wife always accuses me of leaving out critical details, sorry. 😝

I feel like it did this one other time but I couldn't get it to happen again. So it's possible there is/was maybe a loose connection, but my wife states that occasionally it will display a static time (IE 3:34) for 10 minutes, without changing.

So it would seem to be a defect with the Entune system I suppose. Hence my desire to potentially just forego Entune and get to Android Auto that much faster.

I've spoken with the dealership and they said to swing it by and see if they can "take a look." I verified there will not be a diagnostic fee, cause I swear I'm not an idiot.

PS Never buy a car from Hertz. Maybe that does make me an idiot...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on this:

I was able to somehow get the "Adjust by GPS" function back temporarily, but even toggling it on/off did no long-term adjustment (Clock would keep time for 20 minutes then just stop, perpetually frozen), regardless of switch.

Took to dealership on Monday, where they did a "hard reset" of the Entune system, and updated the GPS software. That worked for about half a day.

Now am back to the --:-- feature again without the ability to update via GPS. So something really screwy going on, where it's back at the dealership now awaiting diagnosis. My guess is the GPS unit is faulty and throwing it off somehow, but it's so stupid that a basic clock is driven in such a manner and can't just be set and keep time.

Will update on this soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Next update: Dealership says internal antenna/GPS are bad on radio unit and need to replace unit. I'm trying to see if Toyota will help to cover as I'm just barely outside of warranty (1200 miles), as the unit is $1200 to replace.

If replacement is needed, I will get a cheapie digital clock from Amazon until i'm ready to upgrade to Android Auto.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife always accuses me of leaving out critical details, sorry. 😝

I feel like it did this one other time but I couldn't get it to happen again. So it's possible there is/was maybe a loose connection, but my wife states that occasionally it will display a static time (IE 3:34) for 10 minutes, without changing.

So it would seem to be a defect with the Entune system I suppose. Hence my desire to potentially just forego Entune and get to Android Auto that much faster.

I've spoken with the dealership and they said to swing it by and see if they can "take a look." I verified there will not be a diagnostic fee, cause I swear I'm not an idiot.

PS Never buy a car from Hertz. Maybe that does make me an idiot...
I don’t own a sienna yet...so can’t offer any helpful words but you did the right thing posting to this group...it includes a lot of helpful, knowledge people. If you were already thinking about replacing, I’d recommend cost comparing and weighing pros and cons if the warranty doesn’t kick in.

On a second note, I’m curious about your take on not buying a Hertz car. I see so many low mileage vans show up through Hertz though admit they are not my first choice to buy a car from. I’m set up to test one next week from them and look at it more as a long term test drive but am getting quotes from dealers for a new van to compare. I’m tempted to go for the newer car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don’t own a sienna yet...so can’t offer any helpful words but you did the right thing posting to this group...it includes a lot of helpful, knowledge people. If you were already thinking about replacing, I’d recommend cost comparing and weighing pros and cons if the warranty doesn’t kick in.

On a second note, I’m curious about your take on not buying a Hertz car. I see so many low mileage vans show up through Hertz though admit they are not my first choice to buy a car from. I’m set up to test one next week from them and look at it more as a long term test drive but am getting quotes from dealers for a new van to compare. I’m tempted to go for the newer car.
I'll keep the forum updated, but I'm pretty perturbed by this whole situation between the vehicle, Hertz, and Toyota. I've also had to deal with a leaking windshield in the vehicle, that is getting a replacement today (supposedly), no thanks to Hertz's involvement (it's covered under Safelite warranty, however). Of course all of these items were discovered after purchase (who tests their hazards? Apparently they're not even required for TX inspection. Hadn't had rain in TX and then one day found a bunch of water in the cupholders. Clock on radio detailed here...hopefully this is it!).

This is the 2nd car we've bought from Hertz. First was a 2009 Mazda 6. Honestly that car has been rock solid, despite being a former rental. And the process was amazingly simple. This time, however, has been the complete opposite. This is my first experience with a Toyota, and I'm really disappointed that 2 major issues seem to be driven by the manufacturing of the vehicle, but Hertz has NOT been helpful in the slightest (I first informed them of these issues on August 5th).

3 months ago I wouldn't have hesitated to recommend buying from Hertz, but at this point I can't recommend them (I've stopped using them for travel as well). My wife and I agree we should have probably bought a new Sienna or certified used, simply for warranty items and resale value of the Sienna. Live and learn. I did buy from a location that is a rental location, certified used lot, and Rent 2 Buy. So my advice is AVOID one that also has a certified used lot if you're going to use them at all.

I guess the takeaway is to just thoroughly check out the vehicle. I had it inspected at a repair shop, but should have tested every electronic (considering how much is stuffed in these days). Even then, I think the clock/radio began being problematic only recently.

I have been researching the Android Auto options, unfortunately the best option seems to be one that doesn't include a CD player, something my wife is adamant about retaining (understandable).

If/when I update to AA, I'll also post here with what I decided.

The whole thing is frustrating because I don't usually come to decisions easily, taking my time to learn, research, evaluate. But I'm not paying $1200 (or even $500) to replace the factory radio for a clock. I can figure something else out and spend that money towards an Android Auto head unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll keep the forum updated, but I'm pretty perturbed by this whole situation between the vehicle, Hertz, and Toyota. I've also had to deal with a leaking windshield in the vehicle, that is getting a replacement today (supposedly), no thanks to Hertz's involvement (it's covered under Safelite warranty, however). Of course all of these items were discovered after purchase (who tests their hazards? Apparently they're not even required for TX inspection. Hadn't had rain in TX and then one day found a bunch of water in the cupholders. Clock on radio detailed here...hopefully this is it!).

This is the 2nd car we've bought from Hertz. First was a 2009 Mazda 6. Honestly that car has been rock solid, despite being a former rental. And the process was amazingly simple. This time, however, has been the complete opposite. This is my first experience with a Toyota, and I'm really disappointed that 2 major issues seem to be driven by the manufacturing of the vehicle, but Hertz has NOT been helpful in the slightest (I first informed them of these issues on August 5th).

3 months ago I wouldn't have hesitated to recommend buying from Hertz, but at this point I can't recommend them (I've stopped using them for travel as well). My wife and I agree we should have probably bought a new Sienna or certified used, simply for warranty items and resale value of the Sienna. Live and learn. I did buy from a location that is a rental location, certified used lot, and Rent 2 Buy. So my advice is AVOID one that also has a certified used lot if you're going to use them at all.

I guess the takeaway is to just thoroughly check out the vehicle. I had it inspected at a repair shop, but should have tested every electronic (considering how much is stuffed in these days). Even then, I think the clock/radio began being problematic only recently.

I have been researching the Android Auto options, unfortunately the best option seems to be one that doesn't include a CD player, something my wife is adamant about retaining (understandable).

If/when I update to AA, I'll also post here with what I decided.

The whole thing is frustrating because I don't usually come to decisions easily, taking my time to learn, research, evaluate. But I'm not paying $1200 (or even $500) to replace the factory radio for a clock. I can figure something else out and spend that money towards an Android Auto head unit.
Awesome info. I am looking at 2019/2020 siennas but am in no rush and like you research for a long time since I plan on owning a car for many, many years. My current car is a Toyota Venza that I purchase CPO from Toyota and have owned since 2012...it’s a 2010. I have not had any issues and had the longer warranty being a CPO but honestly never used it to know how well it covered.

I’m returning to Toyota since they still make good cars and the other minivan options are having more issues based on my research and backed by Consumer Reports scores. Dealers in my area don’t have what I’m looking for, an SE in predawn gray FWD, so I search used and new and saw a ton at Hertz rental sales. Used fleets are highly contested on this forum and others. I think if you find a good one and inspect it, it should generally be ok but you won’t get the full warranty depending on when it went into service, mileage etc. CPO is a better option if you can find one...I’ve been searching and I have not been successful.

I’m so picky I also have a dealer or two searching for a 2020 for me, one offers lifetime powertrain and two years of service. I’m not totally familiar with what is required for their lifetime warranty and on the surface it looks like you can go to any US or Canadian Toyota dealer. I still need to read the fine print and am guessing they will be rigid about a claim if you have not done all the recommended services through Toyota. Was thinking about asking this forum if anyone has this and if it works. If so, I’m definitely leaning towards the 2020 from a dealer especially since I’m looking for the blind side warning which is extra and I don’t think will come with the used rental.

Meanwhile, I set up a rent to own through Hertz next weekend mostly to test the car before making the ultimate decision to move forward. It’s the one I’m looking for but a 2019 with 19k miles and 8 months old. The Hertz sales here are rated so poorly online, I’m not expecting much. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome info. I am looking at 2019/2020 siennas but am in no rush and like you research for a long time since I plan on owning a car for many, many years. My current car is a Toyota Venza that I purchase CPO from Toyota and have owned since 2012...it’s a 2010. I have not had any issues and had the longer warranty being a CPO but honestly never used it to know how well it covered.

I’m returning to Toyota since they still make good cars and the other minivan options are having more issues based on my research and backed by Consumer Reports scores. Dealers in my area don’t have what I’m looking for, an SE in predawn gray FWD, so I search used and new and saw a ton at Hertz rental sales. Used fleets are highly contested on this forum and others. I think if you find a good one and inspect it, it should generally be ok but you won’t get the full warranty depending on when it went into service, mileage etc. CPO is a better option if you can find one...I’ve been searching and I have not been successful.

I’m so picky I also have a dealer or two searching for a 2020 for me, one offers lifetime powertrain and two years of service. I’m not totally familiar with what is required for their lifetime warranty and on the surface it looks like you can go to any US or Canadian Toyota dealer. I still need to read the fine print and am guessing they will be rigid about a claim if you have not done all the recommended services through Toyota. Was thinking about asking this forum if anyone has this and if it works. If so, I’m definitely leaning towards the 2020 from a dealer especially since I’m looking for the blind side warning which is extra and I don’t think will come with the used rental.

Meanwhile, I set up a rent to own through Hertz next weekend mostly to test the car before making the ultimate decision to move forward. It’s the one I’m looking for but a 2019 with 19k miles and 8 months old. The Hertz sales here are rated so poorly online, I’m not expecting much. Stay tuned.
We bought this Sienna with 35,970 miles, haha. I do wish I would've been pickier about the mileage. Toyota did cover 50% of the Hazard Switch Replacement as a good faith gesture, considering the vehicle had never been serviced at a dealership while Hertz owned it. I have little faith they will pull through and offer 50% this time around also, but I don't know.

I don't know about the blindspot warning indicator, as the XLE and SE that we looked at didn't have it from Hertz. In fact the XLE didn't come with nearly the upgrades I might have expected considering the trim.

I'll be curious to hear your experience, and update this forum with how Toyota responds and if/when I get Android Auto. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
6 Participants
NicoleW
Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
SiennaChat is the forum community to discuss problems, maintenance, repairs, mods, projects, specs and all things Toyota Sienna.
Full Forum Listing