Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total NEWBIE here so please be patient with me :) We are looking at either 2018 or 2019/2020 Sienna XLEs and I've seen as we research that possibly the 2017/2018 have finicky transmissions. Do the 2019/2020 transmissions differ at all? I don't mind an older car if the only difference is Apple Play. This will be my vehicle for a LONG time so trying to make a very informed decision. Thanks for any input!!!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,337 Posts
Welcome!

There were "PRODUCTION CHANGES" in mid 2018, and a lot of 2017/2018 transmissions updated for software and many were replaced when they didn't settle down. But exactly what was changed and how that might impact longevity is a total unknown. And I'll met that there are a lot of folks that just put up with iffy performance but didn't know any better and never went to battle with their dealers.

You can probably find a great 2017 or 2018 that (for reasons we don't know...) never had a problem, responded well to the two software changes, or were replaced. But if you have a choice, I'd invest in a 2019/2020 to avoid the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the same boat here, new to the forum as I'm shopping for an used 2015+ Sienna, looking at market availability and price, definitely noticed a jump in availability and a dip in price for the 2017s comparing against 2016s and 2018s. So was the 8-speed transmission problem that bad? Are ALL 2017 Sienna affected by this problem and their transmission have to be reprogrammed and/or replaced? Just how prevalent is the transmission problem on the 2017s? 10%? 50%?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,337 Posts
I found this after posting the other day. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing the true number of vehicles impacted. Just that it's a sufficient to drive Toyota to keep alerting dealers that there is more trouble coming their way....

Reactions: cedar_23

·
Registered
3 Posts
apparently there's also a class action lawsuit going on if you google "toyota ua80 transmission lawsuit", not sure if its legit and gaining any momentum or an ambulance chasing case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts