Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've been noticing a clicking noise in my wife's van for a while now. Just a single click, not a continuous thing. First noticed it late last year. It's been insignificant, so I haven't worried too much. Happens mostly when you turn (not sure which direction), but I've also noticed it when you hit a sharp bump like a pot hole or something. Definitely sounds like it's coming from the front left area though.

The family is currently on vacation, and supposedly it's getting worse (yes I'm stuck at home) (It's still an intermittent issue, seems safe to drive home). I've always kinda thought it sounded like a body panel rubbing since we first noticed it last year shortly after hitting a deer. It was a small deer, and really didn't do much damage (considering). I think the fender, headlight, and maybe front bumper was replaced. Now I'm not so sure on it being a panel since it's getting worse.

I've been doing some research, and it seems like it could be a CV axle. So a few questions.. with around 50k miles, is this a common issue? Is it possible that the deer hit could have caused this? It looks like a pretty intense repair for my interests.. but is there any way for me to diagnose it? I've tried looking, but it seems like nobody talks about how to figure out if that's truly the source of the noise. Should I try taking it back to the body shop to see if they can diagnose something related to the repairs done last year?

Is there anything else i can try to do to diagnose it? I've played with some panels, but can't replicate the noise. I will probably play with the wheel to check for wheel bearings, but I really don't think that is the issue.

Lastly, if this is the problem.. what can I expect to pay to have it replaced? I'd prefer to do it at the dealership, but for some repairs, their prices are insane.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The CV axle is not a common issue. Based on the information you provided, I would say it is related to the deer hit. It could be something got mis-aligned or something was fixed 100%. Or they could have missed something especially if the repair shop didn't notice the noise.

It could be something with the front strut assembly and the bearing plate since it happens when you go over a bump. I would think if it was the CV axle it would be constant and not just during turns and bumps. Either way I would get it checked out. Regarding cost, no clue until we know what's wrong. If it is related to your accident, you may want to appeal to your insurance company and body shop to see how you can resolve this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The CV axle is not a common issue. Based on the information you provided, I would say it is related to the deer hit. It could be something got mis-aligned or something was fixed 100%. Or they could have missed something especially if the repair shop didn't notice the noise.

It could be something with the front strut assembly and the bearing plate since it happens when you go over a bump. I would think if it was the CV axle it would be constant and not just during turns and bumps. Either way I would get it checked out. Regarding cost, no clue until we know what's wrong. If it is related to your accident, you may want to appeal to your insurance company and body shop to see how you can resolve this.
That's good to hear that it most likely isn't the CV axle. I will do some more investigating when they get home. I might call the body shop and see if they could even poke around a little bit and maybe find the source if it's related to their repairs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's good to hear that it most likely isn't the CV axle. I will do some more investigating when they get home. I might call the body shop and see if they could even poke around a little bit and maybe find the source if it's related to their repairs.
I have this same issue.
2014 XLE FWD
110,000 miles
It only happens on slow sharp turns.
I hear it in a similar place to you. Front left.

The time that I notice it happening most consistently is if I turn right as I move forward, then as I reverse and turn the wheel left to straighten it out that's when I hear the click. I'll also hear it when I make a sharp left at like a U-turn.

Don't hear it on normal turns at intersections or during normal driving.

Let me know if you figure out what it is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The deer strike could have caused a problem with the CV joints. The thing to do is get under the front of the van (wheels off ground) and inspect all four rubber boots (one at the end of each axle) and look for rips, tears or grease slung around be them. The deer strike could have caused one boot to tear causing the grease to fling out and cause premature wear. Buying a new axle is not hugely expensive or overly complicated to replace for a weekend mechanic (at least on other cars I've worked on, I haven't done a Sienna yet). An entire replacement axle could be $60-125 (on Rock Auto) and take 1-3 hours to replace depending on skill level, tools available and whether Toyota did anything strange with their front suspension.

The deer strike could also have cause a body panel around the front tire to get pushed in just enough to cause interference with the tire. Sometimes you can just reach in and pull the panel away. Sometimes it's more complicated.

The deer strike is the wild card.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts