Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019/Toyota/Sienna
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had to replace the Sienna spoiler. A reputable collision shop did the work. The issue is whenever we have a hot day, the rear hatch will only open approx 1/2 way. Something in there is expanding on hot days, causing something to get caught. The collision shop did the installation correctly. It seems the replacement spoiler
doesn’t come with “Toyota Tape” like the original off the assembly line does. Has anyone else experienced this and if so will Toyota assist?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I recently had to replace the Sienna spoiler. A reputable collision shop did the work. The issue is whenever we have a hot day, the rear hatch will only open approx 1/2 way. Something in there is expanding on hot days, causing something to get caught. The collision shop did the installation correctly. It seems the replacement spoiler
doesn’t come with “Toyota Tape” like the original off the assembly line does. Has anyone else experienced this and if so will Toyota assist?
Welcome to the board.

So, sorry to hear that but how do you know they did the install correctly? If they did it correctly then you shouldn't be having that issue. Did you have that issue prior to the collision? Did the shop fix it with oe equipment or some cheap aftermarket stuff?

If it doesn't operate the same as before the collision then I would go back and have it readjusted. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2019/Toyota/Sienna
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have mentioned I took the Sienna back twice to the collision shop and they are working with me by trying to solve the issue. The adhesive (tape) they are using isn’t working with the hot weather. It expands and when it does the spoiler shifts just enough that it gets caught when I try to use the hatch. The replacement didn’t come with the tape that the Toyota factory used originally. Don’t know for sure if it’s the tape or a defect somewhere else. Before the incident everything was working fine. I was just trying to do some research before I call the shop again to see if anyone else has run across the same issue when replacing a spoiler on a 2019 Toyota Sienna. I’ll turn the research over to the collision shop. I was just trying to help them out. Thank you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I should have mentioned I took the Sienna back twice to the collision shop and they are working with me by trying to solve the issue. The adhesive (tape) they are using isn’t working with the hot weather. It expands and when it does the spoiler shifts just enough that it gets caught when I try to use the hatch. The replacement didn’t come with the tape that the Toyota factory used originally. Don’t know for sure if it’s the tape or a defect somewhere else. Before the incident everything was working fine. I was just trying to do some research before I call the shop again to see if anyone else has run across the same issue when replacing a spoiler on a 2019 Toyota Sienna. I’ll turn the research over to the collision shop. I was just trying to help them out. Thank you.
The shop probably didn't use 3M's VHB tape. Perhaps you should ask them look into it. There are different VHBs, BTW.

Bowling ball demo
Tug of war and train pull demo

·
Registered
2019/Toyota/Sienna
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shop probably didn't use 3M's VHB tape. Perhaps you should ask them look into it. There are different VHBs, BTW.

Bowling ball demo
Tug of war and train pull demo
Well, that is exactly what the collision shop used, the 3M VHB… just doesn’t hold up in the heat. And he also used another type of adhesive on my 2nd visit. Again, didn’t hold up in the heat. But should have according to the specs. He is contacting Toyota. Thank you for the suggestion. Appreciate your response.

·
Registered
2020 Sienna LE
375 Posts
Can you maybe post a pic of the area where the tape is applied and what exactly is coming off?
And usually that tape is pressure activated. So when you apply it you are actually supposed to push firmly down the entire length of it to ensure it bonds properly.
And obviously wipe it with alcohol first to make sure it sticks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts