Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time I have heard this electric motor hum. The first time was at 9pm a couple of days ago, when I went out to the garage. A very faint hum coming from under the car. My hearing is pretty poor and I don't have good stereo, but it is not in the engine compartment and not in the cabin. I started the engine, and the hum stopped.

Tonight, at 9:30pm, it started again. This time I got my wife and we both determined that it was coming from the rear, still under the car.

Both times, the engine had been shut off at around 3pm.

Could it be a fuel pump? That is the kind of noise it makes. The tank is down to 2 gallons of fuel, if that makes a difference.

I just checked, the noise stopped! So the motor ran about 15 minutes. What the heck is going on????

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
"Approximately five hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound
coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel
evaporation leakage check, and it does not indicate a malfunction."

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,166 Posts
What Geezer is quoting from is your Owners Manual.

Once every drive cycle, approximately 5 hours after you put your van away for the day an emissions check of your closed and sealed fuel system is done to check for any leaks. You are hearing the pressure pump doing it's thing.

Reactions: klausc and Geezer1

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Geezer1 and Fibber2. Now we all know why the batteries die after 3-4 years! The engineers have exceeded the bounds of reason... It's a good thing I didn't get a 2021 version, that car probably will drive itself to a dealer when the CEL turns on, but leave the garage door open at 5 am.

Except for glossing over the 200 pages of "caution", I thought I read the entire manual. I missed that part. Now I don't have to worry when I go to the garage and grab a beer, unless the car alarm goes off because the EVAP system check fails.

I know, I should have bought a 1976 VW bus... but the thought of driving across Kansas without AC or heat, leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know, I should have bought a 1976 VW bus... but the thought of driving across Kansas without AC or heat, leaves a lot to be desired.
[/QUOTE]
Our 1984 Dodge comes to mind for its simplicity, but our Toyotas super reliability leaves it back there in the nostalgic memory dust trail.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Just driving across Kansas leaves a whole lot to be desired! I thought it was hilarious when a travel magazine (Conde Nast?) rated Kansas as the 50th most popular U.S. state for tourism a few years ago - too bad that the World's Largest Prairie Dog, Bottle Museum and other tourist traps along I-70 and old Highway 40 had closed.

The last time I drove across Kansas in an unairconditioned vehicle was in a 1975 VW Rabbit which I did many times during the 3 years I owned that steaming turd. Speaking of VW buses, it was during one of those trips for a Rocky Mountain High that I encountered a hippy guy who had bought a tiny piece of land on a Colorado mountain road curve and embedded multiple connected VW buses into the hillside to create his home. Oh, the weird things I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,166 Posts
Last weekend we did a 400 mile haul across NY to take our younger kid for a college visit. She'll probably get one of our two Subaru vehicles as her 4 year car. As we cruised along in the Sienna my wife and I reminisced about our own college experiences with her 1969 Buick LaSabre and my 1972 Mercury Montego. Winters going diagonally across the Adirondack Park to Potsdam, NY in those beasts was, on occasion, a real pioneer-style adventure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts