Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Toyota seemed to work out the issues with their transmission for the 2020 owners? Still some things lingering that would cause you to not purchase this vehicle, but wait for the eCVT in the 2021 Sienna?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am going to be biased on your question a bit since I am having those very issues you speak about on a 2017. I would definately wait until that 2021 comes out. You will easily double your fuel economy and you will have the power of those electric motors. The 6 cylinder engine is not the problem but that 8 speed can be a trouble maker. Its like the ZF 9 speed in the chrysler products or honda products.. either you like it or you dont.

Test drive and see. If its powerful enough and good for you then I am sure you will get a great discount

·
Registered
297 Posts
No issues with my 2020. It does feel different (laggy) compared to my 2011 and 2015 due to the fuel savings programming of the transmission. You can turn on ECT Power mode and it feels As perky and exactly Like my 2011 and 2015. No issues like they had in The 2017’s. Way better than the ZF 9spd in the Honda. I got rid of my 2018 Honda less than a year after I got it because of that dangerous transmission that literally almost killed us several times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not really, Toyota hasn't really ironed out the issues. Generally, it is more of a "I don't like the way it drives" problem than an actual reliability problem. But there are plenty of complaints. If the way it feels doesn't bother you, though, I wouldn't be concerned.

If you're familiar with Toyota's hybrids, as your signature indicates, and have no qualms about the hybrid battery, I would wait for the 2021 Sienna. Toyota's eCVT is rock solid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really, Toyota hasn't really ironed out the issues. Generally, it is more of a "I don't like the way it drives" problem than an actual reliability problem. But there are plenty of complaints. If the way it feels doesn't bother you, though, I wouldn't be concerned.

If you're familiar with Toyota's hybrids, as your signature indicates, and have no qualms about the hybrid battery, I would wait for the 2021 Sienna. Toyota's eCVT is rock solid.
Thank you, good to hear its more about how it feels to drive than a reliability issue. I'm buying this to drive like my other Toyota's - till 300k miles at least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts