Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
479 Posts
Hub rings are nothing to be feared.

The plastic ones are just fine and they'll never crack as long as wheels are not over torqued and the wheel bearing is not shot, as the hub rings are not load bearing with a proper mounting of the wheel.

You just set them on the hub before you mount the wheel. Keeps the wheel centered on the hub since most aftermarket wheels will be a different size than your hub.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well. Looks like I'm going off the deep end. Since I do plan on keeping this van for 10+years, I figure I'd invest in some really strong wheels so I'll be getting a set of fully forged wheels from BC Forged. Total overkill for a Van, but I rather the wheel bend(forged wheels) than crack(cast/rotary forged) when it comes to meeting potholes.

Load rating on the wheel is 2300lbs, and is both JWL and VIA certified. Overkill is just enough when it comes to my family hauler. They said it should weigh between 22-24lbs each. Not bad for a 20x8 wheel. Hopefully it'll all come out lighter than OEM set even with the 20" tires and reduce unsprung weight.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
14 Posts
Well. Looks like I'm going off the deep end. Since I do plan on keeping this van for 10+years, I figure I'd invest in some really strong wheels so I'll be getting a set of fully forged wheels from BC Forged. Total overkill for a Van, but I rather the wheel bend(forged wheels) than crack(cast/rotary forged) when it comes to meeting potholes.

Load rating on the wheel is 2300lbs, and is both JWL and VIA certified. Overkill is just enough when it comes to my family hauler. They said it should weigh between 22-24lbs each. Not bad for a 20x8 wheel. Hopefully it'll all come out lighter than OEM set even with the 20" tires and reduce unsprung weight.
Running a 235/50R20 on a 8” wide wheel would be ideal. Post a pic of the wheel!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Running a 235/50R20 on a 8” wide wheel would be ideal. Post a pic of the wheel!
So I've run into a snag. Wheel rep is saying I'll need a 245/45R20, as the XSE OEM size 235/50R20 will be too tall(??) on the forged 8" wheels. Basically if I had an XSE FWD, I wouldn't be able to re-use the 20" tires because the wheels are .5" wider. Doesn't make any sense to me, but then again I'm not a wheel expert.

There's not many LRR tire options as it is and I really wanted to stay OEM tire size. If it comes down to it and I have to switch to get these wheels, has anyone noticed a significant difference in MPG when it comes to switching to a non-LRR tire?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
479 Posts
So I've run into a snag. Wheel rep is saying I'll need a 245/45R20, as the XSE OEM size 235/50R20 will be too tall(??) on the forged 8" wheels. Basically if I had an XSE FWD, I wouldn't be able to re-use the 20" tires because the wheels are .5" wider. Doesn't make any sense to me, but then again I'm not a wheel expert.

There's not many LRR tire options as it is and I really wanted to stay OEM tire size. If it comes down to it and I have to switch to get these wheels, has anyone noticed a significant difference in MPG when it comes to switching to a non-LRR tire?
Doesn't make any sense. If anything stretching a tire on a wider rim makes it shorter, not taller. You'll be fine with reusing the same tire. 235 will mount an 8" rim just fine. Hell I am running a 225 on a 9" rim on my sedan.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Doesn't make any sense. If anything stretching a tire on a wider rim makes it shorter, not taller. You'll be fine with reusing the same tire. 235 will mount an 8" rim just fine. Hell I am running a 225 on a 9" rim on my sedan.
I'm confused as hell over here, and it's really a deal breaker. I'm going fully forged wheels because that's the only way to get 20" wheels that are really light, and as close to OEM width(7.5") as possible, which is 8" for these wheels, and still use the OEM Michelin 235's. If I can't even retain the OEM 20" tires, then I might as well not do it to be honest. I really don't want to use a non-LRR tire.

Trying to minimize impact to MPG's while adding some style to the van and I'm willing to pay a big upfront cost for that, but I don't want to also feel it every time I go to the pump.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
14 Posts

Perfectly fine running OE size 235/50R20. Not sure what they are referring to. I worked at a wheel and tire shop for many years. I mounted those tires on the van myself. I lose maybe between 2-3 MPG on 255s, which isn’t a big deal. We are happy with 30+ MPG on a 5000lbs minivan!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok so after some more back and forth, it's due to my earlier request of the wheels being flush. Due to that, he recommended just +15 offset. He said if we do more offset, I can accommodate the OEM sizes. So I've asked him to help me figure out if it's possible to use tires ranging from 235/50R20 to 255/50(or 45 if 50 is not feasible at 255 width). I've given priority over having more tire options available over the wheels just being flush. I've been going through the tire selection, and they are really slim to non-existent when it comes to low rolling resistance tires.

Again, my goal is to add some style to the van while maintaining the hybrid performance. In this case, I'm hoping the lighter Forged wheels will have even better MPG, which is why I am so adamant about sticking to the OEM 20" Michelins so I can compare the MPG to other 2021 Siennas.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
14 Posts
Ok so after some more back and forth, it's due to my earlier request of the wheels being flush. Due to that, he recommended just +15 offset. He said if we do more offset, I can accommodate the OEM sizes. So I've asked him to help me figure out if it's possible to use tires ranging from 235/50R20 to 255/50(or 45 if 50 is not feasible at 255 width). I've given priority over having more tire options available over the wheels just being flush. I've been going through the tire selection, and they are really slim to non-existent when it comes to low rolling resistance tires.

Again, my goal is to add some style to the van while maintaining the hybrid performance. In this case, I'm hoping the lighter Forged wheels will have even better MPG, which is why I am so adamant about sticking to the OEM 20" Michelins so I can compare the MPG to other 2021 Siennas.
+25 should give you that extra cushion. Check the weight on the tire you want to go with as well. Tirerack gives you the spec you will need. I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on the tire I chose.

·
Registered
86 Posts
+25 should give you that extra cushion. Check the weight on the tire you want to go with as well. Tirerack gives you the spec you will need. I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on the tire I chose.
Thanks, he did recommend going +20 to +25, so we'll see where we land after he takes into account my new request of broadening the tire selection. By the way, have you calculated what your before and after MPGs were?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
14 Posts
Thanks, he did recommend going +20 to +25, so we'll see where we land after he takes into account my new request of broadening the tire selection. By the way, have you calculated what your before and after MPGs were?
I was getting 35-36 before the 20” and now between 33-34 so not a huge deal. I do like the handling and cornering with the 255s though. I still take corners like a sports car in the van lol. My wife and I don’t mind the ride either. I’m used to driving lowered sedans and compact cars so this rides like a Cadillac.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anyone know how strict dealerships/Toyota is when it comes to aftermarket wheels, especially when I'm upsizing from 17 to 20". Sales rep just called me to let me know my van arrived, and I told him I was bugging him every other day because I'm trying to get eyes on my van before I finalize this BC Forged order. Then he hit me with the warranty void statement. I didn't have an issue on the last vehicle I put wheels on, since I stayed OEM at 19", serviced for 5 years at deerskin with no issues even for warranty/wearable with my maintenance contract.

Anyone have any stories or experience with Toyota on this? Magnusson-Moss is great and all, doesn't mean they still won't give you a big headache trying to get warranty work.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
479 Posts
Anyone know how strict dealerships/Toyota is when it comes to aftermarket wheels, especially when I'm upsizing from 17 to 20". Sales rep just called me to let me know my van arrived, and I told him I was bugging him every other day because I'm trying to get eyes on my van before I finalize this BC Forged order. Then he hit me with the warranty void statement. I didn't have an issue on the last vehicle I put wheels on, since I stayed OEM at 19", serviced for 5 years at deerskin with no issues even for warranty/wearable with my maintenance contract.

Anyone have any stories or experience with Toyota on this? Magnusson-Moss is great and all, doesn't mean they still won't give you a big headache trying to get warranty work.
It should not void the warranty unless they can prove that whatever issue you need remediated occurred due to your use of the aftermarket wheels. There is nothing that can happen unless you botch your wheel install. An example would be if you buy wheels that are not hubcentric, fail to use hub rings, over torque the lug nuts, and end up with snapped studs or warped wheel bearings. These things would then not be covered. If you do all of that and your fuel pump gives out, the fuel pump is still covered under warranty because it is not affected by the wheels on the vehicle. Obviously the wheels you buy are warrantied independently and not by the dealer, whereas OEM wheels would be warrantied by Toyota (from defects, not damage unless you buy the wheel/tire warranty sold separately). Tires in either scenario are warrantied by the tire manufacturer.

I've been putting aftermarket wheels on all my new cars for the last 20 years, never once had a warranty claim denied on account of not having OEM wheels/tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It should not void the warranty unless they can prove that whatever issue you need remediated occurred due to your use of the aftermarket wheels. There is nothing that can happen unless you botch your wheel install. An example would be if you buy wheels that are not hubcentric, fail to use hub rings, over torque the wheels, and end up with snapped studs or warped wheel bearings. These things would then not be covered. If you do all of that and your fuel pump gives out, the fuel pump is still covered under warranty because it is not affected by the wheels on the vehicle. Obviously the wheels you buy are warrantied independently and not by the dealer, whereas OEM wheels would be warrantied by Toyota (from defects, not damage unless you buy the wheel/tire warranty sold separately). Tires in either scenario are warrantied by the tire manufacturer.

I've been putting aftermarket wheels on all my new cars for the last 20 years, never once had a warranty claim denied on account of not having OEM wheels/tires.
Thanks. I could see them giving me issues however if it's anything suspension related.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What tire size? any issues with the AWD?
No issues whatsoever with over 20k miles on them since install. The 255/45ZR20's tend to bulge ever so slightly on an 8" rim, but that also acts as a rim guard (saved my butt twice so far with the wife parking). The handling with the wider tires is greatly improved over stock and I still get 34-35 mpg driving it fairly aggressively. No regrets!

61 - 80 of 106 Posts