Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread here with the post below, referencing some accessories we purchased for our 2021 Limited AWD and posted pictures of the cargo tray and tri-fold cargo liner.

Here I wanted to post some pictures of the other accessory mentioned there, the Sienna Crossbars.

Our van came with the chrome roof rails and the first thing I want to confirm for everyone (since the data on the Toyota parts site is still limited) is that the part nuber PT278-08500 referenced below is a perfect fit, definitely the right crossbars for the 2021 Sienna. As far as I know the 2020 and earlier crossbars are different (they are a different part number) though I don't have a 2020 van to hold these up against to see if the layout is the same.

Pictures to follow below.

We recently picked up our 2021 Limited AWD with the spare tire option. I've mentioned in some other threads that I was planning to use the cargo tray to protect the area where the backmost area when the third row seats are up and the tri-fold cargo liner to protect the cargo area when the hitrd-row seats are down. Several people asked to see pictures, especially wrt whether the spare tire interferes (it does not). So I wanted to post them here in a new thread to make them easy to find.

The best price I found was at Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online which is associated with a dealership in Henrico County, VA. Here are the part numbers I ordered (I also got the roof rack cross-bars) and the prices:

Part NumberPart NamePriceQuantityTotal
PT278-08500Sien Crbr$93.671$93.67
PT206-08217Sien Cgtry Logo$82.881$82.88
PK241-08M01-TPSien Cargo Liner$82.881$82.88

Below is a photo of the cargo tray installed. I'm impressed with the fit, it perfectly matches every ridge and angle and tucks underneath the mechanism in a few key places to keep it in place. It's not super heavy but seems very durable and I have no doubt it will keep the carpet of that space perfectly clean. It also looks like it could easily be hosed off so I wouldn't hesitate to put muddy shoes or gear in the space. As others have mentioned I wouldn't mind if it came further up the sides.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First off, I don't know if I've ever been shipped something as carefully and thoughtfully packed as this. The roof racks will take some abuse over the years but that doesn't mean I want them arriving banged up and in this packaging that's not going to happen. Well done, Toyota!

The bars are locked in place with cardboard and protected both from each other and from any damage to the box. They come with a Torx wrench tool and 8 bolts. The bolts have threadlock already applied.

Save the bubble wrap pieces, they'll come in handy in a moment!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously, how nice is this? :) Each crossbar is also clearly and permanently printed on the surfaces pointed out below with "Right Front" "Left Rear" etc so it's easy to know which bar goes where and in what orientation. I appreciated that instead of just applying labels they actually molded the markings into the plastic so if you take them off in the future they'll still be marked.

Something to be aware of, the plastic bracket on one side of the bar appears loose. Each side is secured to the crossbar with 2 bolts (not talking about how it's secured to the RAILS, just how the crossbar itself is assembled). But one end is rigid, the other is "wobbly". This is just so that it fits into the space between the rals. As you tighten it to the rails the "play" in the endcap disappears and once secured it's perfectly rigid. Worked great.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rails before installation. At the points indicated there are 4 plastic semi-threaded pieces that you'll remove with the torx tool. Save them of course in case you ever take the crossbars off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This wouldn't be a bad idea to have as a two-person job but it's cold out today so I was my only available labor. That's where the bubble wrap I mentioned before came in handy. I put it under each pair of screw holes to that I could set one side down while working on the other side without risking the paint. It's not a bad 1 person job.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the back crossbar in place but not yet attached on either side. You can see the "Rear Right" markings pretty clearly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And finally, with everything attached. Whole job took about 20 minutes. I'm pleased with the purchase and with both the product and how it was delivered. The only caveat I want to make is that I seem to recall on our Honda that the crossbars were adjustable - we could move them both forward and backwards on the rails. That's NOT the case with these -- because the threaded holes in the rail are in a specific place that's the only place the rails can go. I think I've seen cargo carriers that required the rails to be at a specific distance from one another so if that's the case with what you want to carry you'll need to make sure this distance works.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions or would find any other pictures or angles useful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I started a thread here with the post below, referencing some accessories we purchased for our 2021 Limited AWD and posted pictures of the cargo tray and tri-fold cargo liner.

Here I wanted to post some pictures of the other accessory mentioned there, the Sienna Crossbars.

Our van came with the chrome roof rails and the first thing I want to confirm for everyone (since the data on the Toyota parts site is still limited) is that the part nuber PT278-08500 referenced below is a perfect fit, definitely the right crossbars for the 2021 Sienna. As far as I know the 2020 and earlier crossbars are different (they are a different part number) though I don't have a 2020 van to hold these up against to see if the layout is the same.

Pictures to follow below.
I read that having crossbars will cut increase your wind resistance and cut gas mileage. It would be interesting if you experience that.
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for this. I can’t get factory roof rails, but will get a Thule track custom installed for quick-release crossbars.
The pic of the roof will help show where the factory rails can be attached, so I appreciate your posting them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read that having crossbars will cut increase your wind resistance and cut gas mileage. It would be interesting if you experience that.
Thanks
Joe
I wouldn't call it interesting so much as depressing but I get your point. :) I hadn't heard that before and wouldn't have expected it to make much of a difference but reading about it now based on your post I've seen several references.

From what i'm reading the people who've claimed to see significant (5~10%) reduction in MPG from crossbars are reporting that on long highway drives (i.e. 70 mph for an hour commute). I would think that at 30 mph around town wind resistance is a much less significant factor which is is where most of our driving is done. I'll have to think about that tradeoff. We do a few long trips each year but those are the times I'm most likely to want the crossbars on the vehicle to allow some flexibility for luggage, equipment rentals, etc.

It'd be super if the crossbars could mount in two ways -- as normal for in use and also parallel to the rails in a sort of "stowed" position. That way you always have them with you in case they're needed but without the MPG hit.

Thanks for pointing this out!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldn't call it interesting so much as depressing but I get your point. :) I hadn't heard that before and wouldn't have expected it to make much of a difference but reading about it now based on your post I've seen several references.

From what i'm reading the people who've claimed to see significant (5~10%) reduction in MPG from crossbars are reporting that on long highway drives (i.e. 70 mph for an hour commute). I would think that at 30 mph around town wind resistance is a much less significant factor which is is where most of our driving is done. I'll have to think about that tradeoff. We do a few long trips each year but those are the times I'm most likely to want the crossbars on the vehicle to allow some flexibility for luggage, equipment rentals, etc.

It'd be super if the crossbars could mount in two ways -- as normal for in use and also parallel to the rails in a sort of "stowed" position. That way you always have them with you in case they're needed but without the MPG hit.

Thanks for pointing this out!
Subaru does that- the crossbars swing across and fit in parallel in the sides of the rails.
I have one set of Yakima Landing Pads on my 2016 Sienna right now, and the Yakima cross bars come off in seconds. The rear aero Toyota cross bars on the rails take a couple of minutes to remove by hand.
I'll have to install something like the Landing Pads on my 2021 as friggin Toyota Canada doesn't offer rails except on XSE.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@jbsjbs Do you happen to know what the distance is from the center of the front bar to the rear hatch, when it's in the raised position? It would be the "front clearance" similar to this diagram:

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had an at-home test drive this afternoon, so I was able to measure the front clearance distance. It’s about 52.5 inches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the great write up and pics!. Looking to do this ahead of the summer months. If anyone finds a better price online for OEM parts, can you post a link to where you picked up the rails?

·
Registered
51 Posts
FWIW, for a non OEM option, I will have 2 extra pairs of Yakima Rail Riders which attach the factory roof rails to Yakima round bars. They won't fit my 2021 custom rack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A few questions:
1. Are the bases of the cross bars (with the two clearance holes) metal or plastic?
2. What is the rated load capacity of the cross bars?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE
1 Posts
@jbsjbs Thank you very much for all the detailed info. I noticed in your original post you were also asking about the
PT278-08500-SK service kit, and in these threads it's not mentioned. Does it mean it's not needed to install the crossbars?
Were you able to get answers about what it is for?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts