Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a 2021 Sienna XLE and wondered about the tires. According to the following site, they are Falken ZIEX ZE001A All-Season Tires size 235/65R17 103T:

Falken Tires Selected As Original Equipment Supplier To All-New 2021 Toyota Sienna > News > Sumitomo Rubber USA, LLC - Buffalo, NY - Tonawanda, NY (sumitomorubber-usa.com)

The reviews of this tire on the following site are not very encouraging. Has anyone looked into changing to a different tire, and if so what specific tire?

TireRack.com Tire Reviews

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE
2 Posts
I just got my 2021 Sienna LE but it came with Yokohama BluEarth S34 tires, 235/65R17 103T. I have a bit of a conspiracy theory with OEM tires - that they're softer & don't last as long as the retail versions. The reviews on these ones aren't great either, but I'll run them down for a couple of years before replacing. (I'm in Canada, maybe that's why the tire brand is different?). I should note that I will also be buying a second set of wheels and tires to use in the winter, so I might get several years out of the OEMs. Time will tell...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have ordered a 2021 Sienna XLE and wondered about the tires. According to the following site, they are Falken ZIEX ZE001A All-Season Tires size 235/65R17 103T:

Falken Tires Selected As Original Equipment Supplier To All-New 2021 Toyota Sienna > News > Sumitomo Rubber USA, LLC - Buffalo, NY - Tonawanda, NY (sumitomorubber-usa.com)

The reviews of this tire on the following site are not very encouraging. Has anyone looked into changing to a different tire, and if so what specific tire?

TireRack.com Tire Reviews
The NHTSA Ratings for the 17" Falken ZIEX ZE001A tires are not all that good. About average treadwear but much poorer traction and temperature ratings:

TREADWEAR RATING All sizes 380
TEMPERATURE RATING B
TRACTION RATING B

Treadwear
Treadwear grades are an indication of a tire's relative wear rate. The higher the treadwear number is, the longer it should take for the tread to wear down.
A control tire is assigned a grade of 100. Other tires are compared to the control tire. For example, a tire grade of 200 should wear twice as long as the control tire.
Of current tires:
15% are rated below 200
25% are rated 201 - 300
32% are rated 301 - 400
20% are rated 401 - 500
6% are rated 501 - 600
2% are rated above 600

Traction
Traction grades are an indication of a tire's ability to stop on wet pavement. A higher graded tire should allow a car to stop on wet roads in a shorter distance than a tire with a lower grade. Traction is graded from highest to lowest as "AA", "A", "B", and "C".
Of current tires:
15% are rated "AA"
77% are rated "A"
7% are rated "B"
Only 4 lines of tires are rated "C"

Temperature
Temperature grades are an indication of a tire's resistance to heat. Sustained high temperature (for example, driving long distances in hot weather), can cause a tire to deteriorate, leading to blowouts and tread separation. From highest to lowest, a tire's resistance to heat is graded as "A", "B", or "C".
Of current tires:
62% are rated "A"
34% are rated "B"
4% are rated "C"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts