Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Banned
2021 Pre Dawn Mica XLE
58 Posts
It’s how all hybrid brakes function. People driving a hybrid for the first time just aren’t used to it. They work fine, just differently.

It’s hyperbolic to suggest this van which is WAY over engineered for safety in nearly every conceivable way is putting your life at risk due to nonlinear braking.
Totally not true. Not even remotely correct.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I noticed that little talked about let up glitch sensation on the braking when slowing down as I was regen braking for a stop light tonight. The ice was running at the time coming to the stop. I was looking at the dash display at the time and at the moment that the brakes let up, the little green EV symbol popped on at that moment......so I am thinking it continues to be an ice/EV/regen issue causing the braking glitch somewhere in the transition between all three.....whether it is a software issue, who knows. Yes I am aware of the software updates on the earlier produced vans with the service directive.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Seems likely IMO that the torque from the EV is higher than the torque from the ICE, hence the previously applied brake pressure suddenly feels less sufficient (in terms of foot feel to people used to nothing other than linear braking) when the van transitions from ICE to EV power.

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
787 Posts
Seems likely IMO that the torque from the EV is higher than the torque from the ICE, hence the previously applied brake pressure suddenly feels less sufficient (in terms of foot feel to people used to nothing other than linear braking) when the van transitions from ICE to EV power.
If the vehicle is in regenerative braking mode, the wheels are mechanically driving MG-2 so it is physically impossible for the MG-2 to be driving the wheels. MG-2 cannot function as both a motor and a generator at the same time. If the ICE does start up, it should be just driving MG-1 to charge the battery. Since there should be no demand for power, the planetary gear should not be transmitting any torque to the wheels unless there is some quirk in the control system which thinks power is needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been doing an experiment last few weeks. I put the car on normal instead of eco mode. The brake release has not happened once in 500 miles when in normal. Anybody else noticed a correlation to eco mode? I have an AWD Nov 2020 model and drive to optimize regen. It was happening a lot before in eco.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've been doing an experiment last few weeks. I put the car on normal instead of eco mode. The brake release has not happened once in 500 miles when in normal. Anybody else noticed a correlation to eco mode? I have an AWD Nov 2020 model and drive to optimize regen. It was happening a lot before in eco.
This is only the second time I have noticed this phenomenon with braking. I have not had my van in eco mode in 3 months. I just thought it was weird that at the time it happened the ev light came on at the same time. Maybe it happens when it happens and only the Toyota gremlin knows.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have noticed the brake issue a few times myself. i feel it has happened as i am modulating the brake going downhill (maybe ~40 mph?) and hitting a bump, like a sunken in manhole. someone mentioned previously about hitting a bump and it happening. not sure if the bump is coincidental or if it's a speed or modulating action thing.

another point, i only drive in Normal mode, have never picked Eco mode.

putting it out there for others to pay attention to next time it happens.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts