Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

181 - 200 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #181 (Edited)
I doubt that Toyota would delay RELEASE of a model (Sienna in this case) that is being readied for production (assembly lines retooled, etc). They have to worry about profitability and have run the numbers well before the retooling. Obviously this assumes that demand doesn't fall off a cliff.

On the other hand, they may have to debut the 2021 model virtually over the internet. In the news this AM: 2020 Geneva Motor Show has just been canceled after the Swiss government banned gatherings of 1,000 people or more due to concerns over the coronavirus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I visited Tier I supplier today ... I was told that they have a new parts supplier program ... they will start delivering Sienna parts to the Toyota Princeton plant this Aug...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I visited Tier I supplier today ... I was told that they have a new parts supplier program ... they will start delivering Sienna parts to the Toyota Princeton plant this Aug...
That sounds like if it's supposed to be launched in the spring as an early 2021 model. Maybe the launch was pushed back to the fall.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
That sounds like if it's supposed to be launched in the spring as an early 2021 model. Maybe the launch was pushed back to the fall.

I have been under the impression that the Sienna would go into production late 2020 ...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been under the impression that it would go into production later 2020 ...
Maybe Toyota will just show prototypes in the spring at one of the auto shows. I thought the early release of the 2020 model meant the 2021 was coming early too.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Maybe Toyota will just show prototypes in the spring at one of the auto shows.
The auto show season is nearly over. The only two major auto shows left are New York in April and Detroit in June. I'm not expecting it to be at the Kansas City Auto Show next week which I'm attending for the 43rd straight year ... but the new mid-engine Corvette C8 will be there!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The auto show season is nearly over. The only two major auto shows left are New York in April and Detroit in June. I'm not expecting it to be at the Kansas City Auto Show next week which I'm attending for the 43rd straight year ... but the new mid-engine Corvette C8 will be there!
I expected the new Sienna to be announced at the New York Auto Show in April which is when the new Highlander was announced last year with sales starting soon after that because the 2020 was released so early. I guess wee will see. However I have a feeling that the NY Auto Show may be canceled because of the coronavirus. Having a ton of people gathering together and touching cars is an easy way to spread the virus. I hope things improve in the next month and then hopefully it will still be held.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to all for these comments and updates. I'm agonizing about when to replace our 2011 XLE. It's still running flawlessly after 130K miles, but I guess I want that "new car" sense of security, and the 2020 XLE premiums do have some nice bells and whistles.

I especially appreciate the Ody comments on this thread. I've never owned a Honda, but I do believe their seats are excruciatingly uncomfortable, and part of me strongly suspects Honda quality is a bit of a myth propagated by media groupthink.

That doesn't leave me too many options. Whether fair or not, I can't see myself ever buying a Chrysler product. The Kias are interesting, but I don't think I'm ready to go there yet.

Our local sales manager told us the 2021 Siennas will be all hybrid. Don't know if that's absolutely true, but that's what he said.

I fear if we wait for the 2021s, there will be a tremendous backlog in demand (everyone seems to be waiting for them), and we will wind up paying full sticker price (if not more). Additionally, the hybrids seem like a "brave new world" with a lot of unknowns, and not the tried and true, legendary Sienna.

Conversely, I feel ridiculous paying for a 2020 Sienna when it's almost identical to our 2011, but there's just not a lot of great choices for a minivan-loving family.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
The new hybrid version of the Highlander has a 4 cylinder engine with a CVT. I would bet that the hybrid version of the 2021 Sienna will have the same setup. Hopefully Toyota will offer an ICE only version of the Sienna just as they do for the Highlander.

·
Registered
376 Posts
@VA Sienna I don't think there's anything to agonize over. With only 130k miles, you have plenty of time to wait and make decision. I would wait until the 2021 are out and if you don't like it, pick up a closeout 2020 for cheaper. If you do like it, you can always wait till 2022 and give the prices time to stabilize and Toyota time to sort the issues out. Although, TBH, I wouldn't worry about the reliability of a Toyota hybrid. They really seem to have this hybrid thing down.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the information jmmaxu ... I wonder if the AWD will have a spare tire .. vs just run flat tires?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure how trustworthy this is, but these articles from today states Hybrid AWD launch this Summer. Will be shown at NY Auto Show.
New 2021 Toyota Sienna To Launch This Summer With Hybrid Power And AWD - Motor Illustrated
Toyota Sienna 2021 : Hybride et AWD confirmé pour juin
And this website has the Sienna on the list for debuts at NY:
New York auto show debuts - Cadillac Lyriq
Interesting these rumors call for the V6 to continue in the Sienna. This contrasts with the hybrid-only rumor that TFL Truck started a few months back. It makes sense given the reality of worldwide battery supply and demand, I guess we'll know for sure in a month...

·
Registered
22 Posts
More than likely, given the rapidly evolving Coronavirus scare, and cancellations of trade and auto shows right, left and centre, odds are the New York Auto show will be cancelled. So, we are looking at a media release, possibly live streaming, sometime shortly after the official Auto show dates in June. I am looking forward to the 2021 Sienna, as replacement (also looking at a couple of 3-row SUVs including the Palisade, Telluride, and 2021 Kia Sorento, as well as the upcoming 2021 Kia Sedona) for my aging 2004 Sienna (only 180,000 KM on it). I like the idea of the practicality of an AWD hybrid Sienna especially if it has all the modern amenities that rival the 3-row Korean SUVs, that will be very enticing indeed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It looks like the NY Auto Show is now delayed until late August. It will be interesting to see how new vehicle debuts are handled (like the potential Sienna and the known Ford Bronco).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopefully they just do a press release with all the info in April, along with a website with all the details and pics. August is after their original date for 2021 orders to start, isn't it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Toyota would not have spent boatloads of $$$ ($1.3 billion dollar overhaul) at the Princeton Ind. Plant if the 21 Sienna wasn't going to be built. There will be 21 Sienna.
The $1.3B cost wasn't to only build the Sienna or one specific vehicle but for the introduction of the TNG platform which will underpin a number of vehicles, including a Sienna at that plant. It had to be ready for the Highlander which is now in production. Also Toyota did announce that Venza is coming back.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tacoma was new in 2016. The last gen went FOREVER. I wouldn't expect a new tacoma until 2024 anyway...
Not to get picky but the Tacoma was released in late summer of 2015 as a 2016 model, I bought mine in Sept of 2015. Chief designer had stated a number of times that the next gen would not be more than 6-7 years, meaning around 2021 or 2022 release, as they want their BOF trucks on a quicker cycle but that has now changed to no earlier than 2024 as a 2025. The 2nd gen was an unusual exception for such a long time between redesigns, and so is the Tundra actually.

181 - 200 of 219 Posts