Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
..........TMMI will cease production of the Toyota Sequoia by 2022............
The Tacoma production is being all moved to Mexico plants leaving space for the Sequoia to be built besides the Tundra. Both will be built on the TNG BOF truck platform.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The new hybrid version of the Highlander has a 4 cylinder engine with a CVT. I would bet that the hybrid version of the 2021 Sienna will have the same setup. Hopefully Toyota will offer an ICE only version of the Sienna just as they do for the Highlander.
I hope so too. I am only interested in the ICE model if it comes with one. Otherwise will be moving on to something else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree... the ICE Hybrid version is a winner vs what Chrysler has ... if it is the ICE Hybrid version I will purchase one. Our T&C (Chrysler) has 140,000 miles and we have spent about $3,000 on it during the last 6 months... but we are patiently waiting. We will get the 2021 or 2020 Sienna. Time will tell.

(The new hybrid version of the Highlander has a 4 cylinder engine with a CVT. I would bet that the hybrid version of the 2021 Sienna will have the same setup. Hopefully Toyota will offer an ICE only version of the Sienna just as they do for the Highlander.)
(I hope so too. I am only interested in the ICE model if it comes with one. Otherwise will be moving on to something else.)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
(I hope so too. I am only interested in the ICE model if it comes with one. Otherwise will be moving on to something else.)
Some us are at the other end of the spectrum and have no interest in buying another ICE-only Sienna. At a minimum, the next generation Sienna would have to be a hybrid to be acceptable to us. But after owning a hybrid Prius v wagon for the past 8 years, a Sienna with a traditional hybrid drive train isn't really enough. We want a plug-in hybrid Sienna with a 40 mile minimum EV range like the upcoming 2021 RAV4 Prime which would allow us to easily do all our normal in-town driving without using gasoline. A 100 mile EV range would be "golden".

I'm no Alvin Toffler, but I'm forecasting a tipping point well before 2025 when EV's are going to become practical and preferable for long distance travel in North America. That tipping point is much nearer in Europe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Prius Hybrid approach is best at least tor us.
But I think having the 6 cylinder as an option would also be good - to give folks a choice.
If the Prius Hybrid is the direction they are going I am on board.
A Plug In Hybrid is not practical for those who do not live in or near a town.
If that is the Hybrid approach Toyota would take ... we would not be purchasing a Sienna .. at least a 2021.
I think they will go with the Highlander Hybrid system as it is already developed.
We will soon see what makes sense for Toyota and their market base.
Numbers speak.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
The Prius approach is best. At least for me.
But I think having the 6 cylinder as an option would be good to give folks a choice.
It's going to be interesting to see which way Toyota goes with the gen 4 Sienna drive train.

There has been quite a lot in the news about how major auto companies in Europe have been caught with their pants down as vehicle buyers rush to EV's instead of buying traditional ICE or even hybrid vehicles. What's happening in Europe is like the canary in the coal mine but a least it may allow auto companies selling vehicles in North America to get ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good point Geezer1
... the thing about Europe is the average driving distance is not the same as in the states. So if one is driving in the county... the EV just doesn't seem practical yet - for city driving yes but county driving no. Just an opinion.

I agree it will be interesting to see which way Toyota goes but ... I will end up wit a Toyota Sienna.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
... the thing about Europe is the average driving distance is not the same as in the states. So if one is driving in the county... the EV just doesn't seem practical yet - for city driving yes but county driving no. Just an opinion.
I totally agree with you. I've sat down with Tesla sales people twice in the past year and several times before that as they tried to prove to me that a Tesla would be practical on the routes we drive. Each time they assured me that they can find a way that would work for us but they have ended up throwing up their hands in defeat.

On one of our routes, the first EV fast charging opportunity other than super slow charging in RV parks is at the 361 mile mark of a 400 mile one-way drive - not feasible since the maximum range of the upcoming Model Y my wife would want is only 316 miles. But! A Tesla supercharger station is scheduled to open at about the 225 mile mark this year which should then make the Model Y practical on that route.

A rapidly increasing number of fast charging stations in middle America is what I think is going to cause the tipping point to EV's. It's a "which comes first, the chicken or the egg" situation. It takes a critical number of EV's on the road to warrant enough charging stations to keep them going and vice versa. It's going to be sort of a push/pull situation while that happens.

I was looking into renting a Tesla Model 3 for my wife's October "family history tour" in Germany but the trip is now doubtful due to the COV-19 situation. It would have been interesting. My wife would have to do most of the driving since my German language skills return only when fueled by excessive beer!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some us are at the other end of the spectrum and have no interest in buying another ICE-only Sienna. At a minimum, the next generation Sienna would have to be a hybrid to be acceptable to us. But after owning a hybrid Prius v wagon for the past 8 years, a Sienna with a traditional hybrid drive train isn't really enough. We want a plug-in hybrid Sienna with a 40 mile minimum EV range like the upcoming 2021 RAV4 Prime which would allow us to easily do all our normal in-town driving without using gasoline. A 100 mile EV range would be "golden".

I'm no Alvin Toffler, but I'm forecasting a tipping point well before 2025 when EV's are going to become practical and preferable for long distance travel in North America. That tipping point is much nearer in Europe.
This aligns pretty closely with thinking in our house. We own a 2017 Prius, and swapped my 2000 4runner (4 cylinder 5 speed) for a 2015 Sienna AWD Limited about 2 months ago. We're trying to use the Prius for around town errands, and trips up to 200 miles RT. For longer trips, camping, trips with the dogs, more passengers, we'll use the Sienna.

I also use the Sienna around town some, when my wife has the Prius. I feel kind of guilty in such a huge vehicle and it doesn't get very good mileage in stop and go driving. Its biggest drawback, IMO. I'd love to have the benefits of a hybrid engine in this vehicle, even more being able to get around town just on EV.

At the rate we put miles on our vehicles, the Sienna will become obsolete for us before we wear it out. At that point, we'll likely swap in out for a hybrid. I could see getting another Sienna even after we're empty nesters, just because they're so practical.

Nice reference to Toffler. I'm old enough to get that..

·
Registered
8 Posts
In 2018, Sienna got a facelift. Of all the 2018 Toyota lineup, which has similar design language to that facelift? In my opinion, the recent Sienna front-end is most similar to the Avalon. If this is true, could the 2021 Sienna have an exterior design language similar to the 2020 Avalon?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Perhaps we'll get lucky and get something like the Australian Toyota Granvia
Yikes! Functional but butt-ugly if you ask me.

The online spy photos of test mules for the US 2021 Sienna show an overall similar-looking vehicle to our Gen 3s. We'll have to wait to see the details of course. To the extent that it matters, I personally like the Gen 3 styling a lot, more than the Gen 2s and way more than the Honda Odyssey. So I'm hoping they don't change that too drastically.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #214 (Edited)
Nice find. I bet that the ICE part is a 4cyl mated to a CVT.
As an aside, strange that there's no mention of the Tacoma.

Edit: Tacoma is mentioned in the text. 2024 redesign.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Excellent information! The questions I have now are: Will there be a plug-in version of the 2021 Sienna hybrid and, if so, will it have enough useful EV range?

Edit: I wonder if the hybrid "All-New Crossover" shown in the presentation is the rumored Venza hybrid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hope and assume there will probably be some AWD versions in the new Sienna lineup.

With the hybrid and/or plugin systems, along with AWD and all the other features that today's higher trim level vehicles have, this new Sienna will be pretty complex. I'd be more worried about that if it wasn't a Toyota.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I hope and assume there will probably be some AWD versions in the new Sienna lineup.

With the hybrid and/or plugin systems, along with AWD and all the other features that today's higher trim level vehicles have, this new Sienna will be pretty complex. I'd be more worried about that if it wasn't a Toyota.
I'll be surprised if all 2021 Sienna don't use the same hybrid AWD drivetrain. A vehicle as heavy as a Sienna is going to need some decent horsepower to move it - assuming its size and weight isn't cut dramatically. I can see the 2021 Sienna using essentially the same 302 hp hybrid/AWD system as the upcoming plug-in RAV4 Prime - that would be my ideal scenario.

Here's an article that has information about the RAV4 Prime AWD drivetrain: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/rav4/2021/2021-toyota-rav4-prime-plug-in-hybrid-photos-info/

·
Registered
376 Posts
I can see the 2021 Sienna using essentially the same 302 hp hybrid/AWD system as the upcoming plug-in RAV4 Prime - that would be my ideal scenario.
Same here. If that ends up being the case, we would probably be Sienna owners for a very long time to come.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

201 - 219 of 219 Posts