Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

321 - 340 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
The press release noted there will be an optional 1500 Watt inverter available for the 2021. Maybe they have already stepped up the charging/battery capacity.
Anything is possible. With no real specs to go off of other than the 4 cylinder engine, I'm kinda just theorizing here.
Guess I'm really hoping for a plug in Sienna sometime in the near future :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am just taking a guess here ...

In the coming years (probably not the first model year of Gen 4) the Sienna will have plug-in capability and perhaps v6 hybrid power train similar to the Lexus RX450h. Seems like the plan for TMC is slowly offering/upgrading power train options on this new Sienna, the Gen 4 power train has left much more to desire and I think Toyota will come through, but wanting us to wait a few more years to have them LOL!

Currently I am an owner of a 2018 XLE AWD and a 2014 Prius hatchback, but as much as I like an AWD Hybrid Sienna I will wait a few more years to have everything I really want (v6 hybrid and plug-in). I hope one day this will come true. :love:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our Sienna is 2011 - XLE - nearly 0 problems except rubber oil line in front beneath engine that when got broken driving with no oil (short) distance nearly killed motor - but stopped and fixed with non rubber replacement - all good. It is bummer about new Sienna - no panoramic roof, non-removable 2nd rad, no PHEV!!!!.. :( ... :(. ... :(... I started thinking same as most - waiting possibly 2-3 years to see if it comes or if not, there is new Pacifica AWD PHEV next year.. Sorry Toyota!! p.s. my neighbor having 4 kids (your people) got 2 PHEV in their garage - quite unusual but at the same time so smart - bet with tax incentives and most the time driving in Cleveland area it works!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our Sienna is 2011 - XLE - nearly 0 problems except rubber oil line in front beneath engine that when got broken driving with no oil (short) distance nearly killed motor - but stopped and fixed with non rubber replacement - all good. It is bummer about new Sienna - no panoramic roof, non-removable 2nd rad, no PHEV!!!!.. :( ... :(. ... :(...

·
Registered
10 Posts
if not, there is new Pacifica AWD PHEV next year.
I would guess the Sienna AWD gets a PHEV option before the Pacifica. I believe the Hybrid Sienna uses a separate electric motor to power the rear wheels. The Pacifica AWD uses a driveshaft from the gas engine so a much larger engineering change.

·
Registered
50 Posts
if not, there is new Pacifica AWD PHEV next year.. Sorry Toyota!!
The 2021 AWD Pacifica's will be on the Gas-Burners only. The Hybrid/PHEV Pacifica will not have AWD. As someone else mentioned it is a mechanical driveshaft that runs from front to rear and can't be implemented on the Hybrid since the large batteries are located there. Kinda like how no spare tire on <2020 Siennas due to the AWD driveshaft. They would likely have to implement a similar E-AWD system like Toyota in order to have a PHEV AWD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 2021 AWD Pacifica's will be on the Gas-Burners only. The Hybrid/PHEV Pacifica will not have AWD. As someone else mentioned it is a mechanical driveshaft that runs from front to rear and can't be implemented on the Hybrid since the large batteries are located there. Kinda like how no spare tire on <2020 Siennas due to the AWD driveshaft. They would likely have to implement a similar E-AWD system like Toyota in order to have a PHEV AWD.
But the CRV resolved that issue somehow. Maybe if the Pacifica has larger batteries, etc. they might have a problem but it seems that it should be able to be done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
But the CRV resolved that issue somehow. Maybe if the Pacifica has larger batteries, etc. they might have a problem but it seems that it should be able to be done.
Most Manufacturers now are locating hybrid batteries under the second row seats. This allows the cargo in the hybrid models to be the same as the non-hybrid gas burner models. The Honda CRV Hybrid's battery which is 1.4 kWh is located in the cargo area which reduces the cargo area from 39 to 33 cubic feet, and it also eliminates the spare tire. This is a compromise not a resolution. How much cargo area do you think a >16 kWh battery takes up? In the Pacifica you can't have stow and go seats or an 8th seat, since the large battery takes up that whole space. It seems the only way would be to adopt e-AWD and ditch the AWD driveshaft.

·
Registered
109 Posts
For those who don't want a hybrid, the upcoming 2022 Kia Sedona might be an option, especially if it gets the Kia Telluride engine.

Car and Driver: 2022 Kia Sedona Redesigned to Be More SUV-Like, and It Looks Good.

Before anyone flames me for posting this in a Sienna forum, I thought some people might be interested in an alternative.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes, I am keeping a close eye on the Sedona. The front end looks worlds better than the gen4 Sienna. I also heard a rumor that a hybrid would likely be available down the road (pun intended).

If it has folding seats, PHEV, e-AWD, and a 3500+ lb tow rating in that configuration, I am sold. If Toyota could offer all 4, I could get over the looks. If Kia can do it with a Telluride like interior and solidness, they will have a winner in my book.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, I am keeping a close eye on the Sedona. The front end looks worlds better than the gen4 Sienna. I also heard a rumor that a hybrid would likely be available down the road (pun intended).

If it has folding seats, PHEV, e-AWD, and a 3500+ lb tow rating in that configuration, I am sold. If Toyota could offer all 4, I could get over the looks. If Kia can do it with a Telluride like interior and solidness, they will have a winner in my book.

-Mike

Yes, the Kia interior is excellent as well as the infotainment system. I had a 2017 Kia Sorento SX with the advanced technology package and the interior was much better than my 2018 Sienna. In fairness the Sienna interior dates back to 2011 with the refresh in 2016 or 2017. I heard that even the current Sedona interior is better than the Sienna but I have seen it in person.

Anyone who is worried about quality and reliability of Kia compared to Toyota should look at the following JD Power initial quality study. Kia was the highest ranked mass market brand for the 6th year in a row. Plus they have a 10 year 100k miles powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't put much weight or value in the JDPower stuff, but Kia has come a LONG way in quality and reliability since 1992.

-Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't trust a marketing company. They charge car manufacturers to mention their name in any ads, basically they are just a paid award. This year Chrysler Fiat had the most showings. Long term dependability is going to be more heavily reliant on the core of a vehicle the powertrain. Number of cup holders is as important to JD power as the engine, transmission, and safety equipment. Tesla came in dead last this year, basically their hoping to exploit Tesla to pay up for "better" survey findings.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't trust a marketing company. They charge car manufacturers to mention their name in any ads, basically they are just a paid award. This year Chrysler Fiat had the most showings. Long term dependability is going to be more heavily reliant on the core of a vehicle the powertrain. Number of cup holders is as important to JD power as the engine, transmission, and safety equipment. Tesla came in dead last this year, basically their hoping to exploit Tesla to pay up for "better" survey findings.
I didn't know that JD Power was a marketing company. I thought they do legitimate studies. Thanks for the info.

I know Consumer Reports doesn't take any advertising money and Kia has been improving in their ratings for several years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I didn't know that JD Power was a marketing company. I thought they do legitimate studies. Thanks for the info.

I know Consumer Reports doesn't take any advertising money and Kia has been improving in their ratings for several years.

I am a subscriber to Consumer Reports as I like how they are funded more, but their reviews aren't as robust as other sites. Kia has come along way. I think the current Sedona is the best looking minivan and the upcoming 2021/2022 Kia Sedona is going to remain the best looking in my opinion. I like how the 2021 Sienna went with a more SUV look as well too. Makes sense since everyone is moving to SUVs. Kia calls its Sedona a Grand Utility Vehicle (GUV) now :LOL: instead of a minivan.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am a subscriber to Consumer Reports as I like how they are funded more, but their reviews aren't as robust as other sites. Kia has come along way. I think the current Sedona is the best looking minivan and the upcoming 2021/2022 Kia Sedona is going to remain the best looking in my opinion. I like how the 2021 Sienna went with a more SUV look as well too. Makes sense since everyone is moving to SUVs. Kia calls its Sedona a Grand Utility Vehicle (GUV) now instead of a minivan.
I think calling the new Sedona a Grand Utility Vehicle was a good idea even though I'm not sure the marketing will work. Toyota tried that with the Sienna by calling it a swagger wagon. Unfortunately Americans have formed a negative view of minivans in the same way they view station wagons and the majority only want SUVs now. Even though I liked my Sorento a lot, the conveniences of Sienna make it more useful. I'll definitely compare the new Sienna and Sedona when the Sedona finally comes out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For those who don't want a hybrid, the upcoming 2022 Kia Sedona might be an option, especially if it gets the Kia Telluride engine.

Car and Driver: 2022 Kia Sedona Redesigned to Be More SUV-Like, and It Looks Good.

Before anyone flames me for posting this in a Sienna forum, I thought some people might be interested in an alternative.

I appreciate sharing direct competitors here. And the bloody Kia looks great, as does Telluride. Next gen Sienna suddenly looks frumpy to me, as does Highlander.

But, top priority is PHEV AWD, then conventional hybrid AWD. So far only only new Sienna offers any of that. Hoping for more options in next couple years.

321 - 340 of 350 Posts