Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I am going to guess that it will look like this:
https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/future-concept/xmotion-autonomous-suv.html

Toyota doesn't have an SUV that is in between the RAV4 and Highlander. Toyota also doesn't have excess manufacturing space. My guess is that the Sienna will be abandoned for a mid-size SUV.
Let's not forget about the Automotive News article about the Toyota-Uber partnership: https://www.autonews.com/future-product/sienna-hybrids-be-part-av-project

I doubt that Uber would be involved in this partnership if the Sienna was going to turn into a smaller crossover.

Automotive News isn't a "rumor rag". It's a respected auto industry publication with a nearly 100 year history - the hard copy version of it turned up on my office desk for decades.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I am going to guess that it will look like this:
https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/future-concept/xmotion-autonomous-suv.html

Toyota doesn't have an SUV that is in between the RAV4 and Highlander. Toyota also doesn't have excess manufacturing space. My guess is that the Sienna will be abandoned for a mid-size SUV.

The Estima been on hybrid for a while and its shape came from Previa. Veilfire and Alphards also have hybrid version just not as wild as our Gen3
so it will be interesting to know when Toyota will come up with. I also remember Veilfire had Family Inada's airbag massager in their 2nd row, I wish we can get that too :smile:

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Not that it necessarily means anything, but last Friday when I mentioned reading the Automotive News article about Toyota supplying 2021 Sienna hybrids to Uber to a Toyota corporate employee who works in marketing, the response was "That is our understanding."

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
There appears to be evidence that all 2021 Sienna trims will get LED headlights for both low and high beams as standard equipment - assuming the Sienna redesign happens per the Automotive News article.

All Toyota vehicle models that have had recent major redesigns now have LED headlights for both low and high beams on even the least expensive trims ... Corolla, Camry, Avalon, RAV4, Prius, etc.

Many but not all of these new Toyota LED headlight systems have automatic beam leveling. If any Toyota model needs standard beam leveling, Sienna needs it more than most due the way carrying a load can raise the headlight beams from the road.

I suspect we have the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety to thank for recent headlight improvements although Toyota and other car makers have still managed recently to implement awful headlight systems, e.g. 2019 Avalon base trims with reflector based LED headlights rated "Poor" by the IIHS.

IIHS headlight ratings for many vehicles can be viewed at https://www.iihs.org

It is possible that more than one LED headlight system will available on the 2021 Sienna. Toyota is currently reserving projector-based LED, automatic beam leveling and the curve adaptive (steerable) feature for more expensive trims on some models.

I only hope that Toyota doesn't muck up the LED headlights on the 2021 Sienna.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I was considering getting a smokin' deal on the current gen Sienna, but this news has me intrigued. Bigger is better. Taller tires is better. Tow rating of 5,000 pounds would be better. I hope they put a Veilfire front end on it. Historically, Toyota has alternated from round to square designs. In my opinion, the Sienna is currently round. It's time for nice square Veilfire styling. Uber will be using it as an autonomous test vehicle, so that's an interesting twist. Will it have more dramatic international styling?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Since it is a new generation, and I decided to compare it with a direct competitor, which to be honest is way better in some aspects!
Just asking to understand, I was not sure why you considered the Ford Focus a direct competitor. In the US, they are in two different categories (fit two different needs):

Ford Focus =
Compact Sedan
Seating for 5
Cargo space with back seats folded down (drops to seating for 2) - 42.9 cu. ft.

Toyota Sienna =
Minivan
Seating for up to 8
Cargo space with back seats folded down (retains seating for 5) - 87 cu. ft.
Cargo space with all rear seats folded down (drops to seating for 2) - 150 cu. ft.

The latest news seems to indicate the new Sienna would be at least the same size as the current model:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/19/2021-toyota-sienna-spy-photos/

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Since it is a new generation, and I decided to compare it with a direct competitor, which to be honest is way better in some aspects!
Based on this member's history of irrelevant posts and his providing links to an irrelevant automotive website that appears to be based in the U.K., I'm blocking him so I don't have to view his drivel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Maybe we'll get lucky and Toyota will sell a high roof version of the Sienna like the Hiace. This would make a GREAT camper. Hiace will be built on TNGA, so it shouldn't be too hard to build in the U.S.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Next gen Highlander is debuting this week at NY auto show. I'm wondering if it will give us any indication on upcoming features for next gen Sienna. I figure, same assembly plant and all. One of the reasons we moved up the decision to get our 2018 AWD is the uncertainty of AWD to survive the redesign. Original plan was to wait for next gen...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Next gen Highlander is debuting this week at NY auto show. I'm wondering if it will give us any indication on upcoming features for next gen Sienna.
I think you can count on it. I will be particularly watching to see if the Highlander headlights are only LED, if there are both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and if the cruise control is the "full-speed" version.

Edit: Oh, and if there continues to be a hybrid version and, if so, if it is a plug-in hybrid!

·
Registered
18 Posts
21 - 40 of 94 Posts