Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
The profile reminds me too much of the Nissan Quest and the Grill for the Lexus brand is a bit too much but for double grill I'm sure Toyota can make it look good. Love the inside though

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's a 2016 body, rolling on Lexus nx 18's.

I'm not sure why the mirrors are moved. Maybe because the new one will have 360 cameras.

Let's face it... The shape of this box isn't changing much. New front with std led.. New taillights. And probably some neat interior seating tricks. And of course through in LTE/data connectivity as entertainment package.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I think you can count on it. I will be particularly watching to see if the Highlander headlights are only LED, if there are both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and if the cruise control is the "full-speed" version.

Edit: Oh, and if there continues to be a hybrid version and, if so, if it is a plug-in hybrid!
Well, it looks like all my above questions have been answered by a Toyota press release in the affirmative except for the plug-in one: https://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/world-premiere-of-all-new-2020-highlander-at-new-york-international-auto-show.htm

I'm not surprised that the hybrid Highlander will use a 2.5 liter 4-cylinder engine instead of the previous V6 but I'm a little surprised it is not a plug-in hybrid.

While headlights on all Highlander trims will be LED, only the Limited and Platinum get projector versions. This is a concern since some of Toyota's recently introduced reflector LED headlight systems (e.g. 2019 RAV4) have received less than "Acceptable" ratings from the IIHS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@Geezer1 I, too, am not surprised that Toyota went with a conservative approach. Highlander is very successful. RAV4 was successful too but I think they saw an opportunity to steal even more sales from the likes of Subaru and Jeep. Assuming that Toyota will implement a similar approach to next gen Sienna, maybe AWD is here to stay? I mean, they're the only choice if an AWD minivan is desired.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think you can count on it. I will be particularly watching to see if the Highlander headlights are only LED, if there are both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and if the cruise control is the "full-speed" version.

Edit: Oh, and if there continues to be a hybrid version and, if so, if it is a plug-in hybrid!
Well, it looks like all my above questions have been answered by a Toyota press release in the affirmative except for the plug-in one: https://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/world-premiere-of-all-new-2020-highlander-at-new-york-international-auto-show.htm

I'm not surprised that the hybrid Highlander will use a 2.5 liter 4-cylinder engine instead of the previous V6 but I'm a little surprised it is not a plug-in hybrid.

While headlights on all Highlander trims will be LED, only the Limited and Platinum get projector versions. This is a concern since some of Toyota's recently introduced reflector LED headlight systems (e.g. 2019 RAV4) have received less than "Acceptable" ratings from the IIHS.
Bummer about the hybrid being only 4cyl. Gonna have to REALLY drive them back-to-back to make sure we get the right one for us...

Also kinda sucks about the headlights... was planning on SE or XLE premium so hopefully the XLE Prem. Has them!

Excited to see what the next gen sienna looks like!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Grab'em before they're gone!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My '04 Sienna is clogging on just fine with just 176,000KM under the hood, it has been supremely reliable but is getting long in the tooth safety and tech wise. I have been patiently waiting for a suitable replacement and I am torn between a minivan (can't beat the practicality, comfort and space) and a 3-row SUV (with adult friendly 3rd row seating). My shortlist list: 2019 Subbie Ascent, 2019 VW Atlas, 2019 Honda Pilot, 2020 Hyundai Palisade, 2020 Kia Telluride 2019 Honda Odyssey and 2021 Toyota Sienna. The new 2020 Toyota Highlander is too compact for my needs. I am willing to wait and see what the MY21 Sienna brings.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a couple of concerns regarding what we'll see in the 2021 Sienna.

1) Someone commented in one of the 2021 Sienna spy shot articles that the new one won't have a V6 option. I'm not sure where this person got the info. It doesn't make sense given that it's rivals offer V6 engines and the new 2020 Highlander still has a V6 option.

2) The SE trim will be discontinued. The dealer where I just bought my 2018 pre owned SE told me that they hardly sell any of them. I need to find actual sales numbers broken out by trim to confirm if this is the case for all dealers. The other reason I'm concerned about the SE trim being discontinued is because it's not available on the 2020 Highlander. Now one counter argument would be, why did Toyota offer an AWD option on the 2019 and 2020 Sienna SE if they are planning on getting rid of it in the future.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Are you referring to this post and this one? He doesn't say anything about Sienna losing the V6 option. If they lose it (and worse, switch to a CVT), it will be a downgrade, at least for my needs.

Not sure about the SE trim. I like it and it's a great upgrade over the LE for not too much more $. It wouldn't surprise me if they moved to the naming convention used by the Highlander models (Adventure grade, etc). Either way, I hope that they keep it. I really dislike the low profile tires though.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
1) Someone commented in one of the 2021 Sienna spy shot articles that the new one won't have a V6 option. I'm not sure where this person got the info. It doesn't make sense given that it's rivals offer V6 engines and the new 2020 Highlander still has a V6 option.
Yeah, I'm not convinced that there won't be a V6 available in the Sienna - particularly since the rated total horsepower of the hybrid power train in the 2020 Highlander is far less than 2017-2020 Sienna V6 and even less than the V6 in the 2011-2016 Sienna.

2) The SE trim will be discontinued. The dealer where I just bought my 2018 pre owned SE told me that they hardly sell any of them. I need to find actual sales numbers broken out by trim to confirm if this is the case for all dealers.
Maybe its a regional thing. The SE seems quite popular here in the central Midwest. It might also have something to do with demographics, e.g. age and household income. Younger people tend to buy the SE. Geezers, of which I am one, do not.

The other reason I'm concerned about the SE trim being discontinued is because it's not available on the 2020 Highlander.
But there is still an SE on several other recently redesigned Toyota models, e.g. Camry, and I suppose the "Touring" version of the redesigned 2019 Avalon could be said to be its "SE".

Now one counter argument would be, why did Toyota offer an AWD option on the 2019 and 2020 Sienna if they are planning on getting rid of the SE version in the future.
To pump up sales! To make money! The SE is mainly cosmetics. I doubt that it cost Toyota much to create an AWD version of it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you referring to this post and this one? He doesn't say anything about Sienna losing the V6 option. If they lose it (and worse, switch to a CVT), it will be a downgrade, at least for my needs.

Not sure about the SE trim. I like it and it's a great upgrade over the LE for not too much more $. It wouldn't surprise me if they moved to the naming convention used by the Highlander models (Adventure grade, etc). Either way, I hope that they keep it. I really dislike the low profile tires though.
Actually I was referring to comments I saw under articles about the 2021 Sienna on various car sites not on this forum. Regardless, yes the comments were similar which gave me the impression that there would be no V6 so maybe I read into them too much. I can't imagine they'd get rid of the V6 with their main competition, the Honda Odyssey and Chrysler Pacifica offering V6 engines.

I agree with you about the low profile tires especially considering that I'm in NY where the potholes seem to take forever to get filled.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe its a regional thing. The SE seems quite popular here in the central Midwest. It might also have something to do with demographics, e.g. age and household income. Younger people tend to buy the SE. Geezers, of which I am one, do not.
Ok, that's good to hear and I've also read in Sienna articles that the SE model is popular. I'm not young (but not a geezer yet) and I opted to get the SE because I liked the styling over the other trims.

But there is still an SE on several other recently redesigned Toyota models, e.g. Camry, and I suppose the "Touring" version of the redesigned 2019 Avalon could be said to be its "SE".
I actually hope they make an XSE trim for the Sienna like the Camry which seems to be a combination of the XLE and SE trims. Obviously too many trims confuses people and I was looking at the Camry on Toyota's website and they're using grade instead of trim for SE, XLE, etc and the trim selection let's you choose an engine. WTF?

To pump up sales! To make money! The SE is mainly cosmetics. I doubt that it cost Toyota much to create an AWD version of it.
You're probably right, especially considering how much sales have dropped.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I looked at the video for the Asian Lexus LM. At first I thought that the idea of a high-end minivan wouldn't work in the US, then I thought of the Mercedes Metris. Time will tell.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I looked at the video for the Asian Lexus LM. At first I thought that the idea of a high-end minivan wouldn't work in the US, then I thought of the Mercedes Metris. Time will tell.
The Mercedes Metris isn't really a high end minivan. It's commercial van that comes in a passenger version but it doesn't have a lot of luxury features. I think that Lexus should offer a luxury minivan in the US but in my opinion the front end of the LM looks ugly which may scare off a lot of perspective buyers. The Sienna Limited is probably the closest thing we will get to a luxury minivan from Toyota / Lexus.

I'm really curious to see what Toyota does with the styling of the 2021 Sienna because I like the styling of most of their recent models including the Camry, Avalon and Highlander.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently have an MDX which has served our needs well enough to this point but after a recent road trip where folks grew a bit tired of the cramped conditions, I’m looking at potentially switching it out for next year’s excursions.

I’ve resisted the minivan thing for all the typical reasons but it’s also because I value AWD and the Sienna has just gotten sooo long in the tooth being the only option for such.

The 2020 “nightshade” package looks pretty slick and it’s intriguing, but the idea of a beefier 2021 is even better sounding with the new designs (ala Camry) Toyota’s putting out.

After checking out the Kia Telluride I was blown away by the fit and finish, the tech, the roominess, and just the whole package. Heading over to the Sienna, it’s still got all the hard plastics and hollow feeling panels and parts inside. It’s just not what the market wants anymore and the Telluride proves value with near luxury is attainable.

I hope Toyota’s really taking note and knocks it outta the park and makes this redesign one younger fathers (like myself) can jump at (because deep down we know the sheer utility of a minivan is what we want)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I hope Toyota’s really taking note and knocks it outta the park and makes this redesign one younger fathers (like myself) can jump at (because deep down we know the sheer utility of a minivan is what we want)

I have viewed the minivan not as a "mom's" car, but a covered pickup truck that has an 8 foot bed . . . lol

41 - 60 of 98 Posts