Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

61 - 80 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found this website and thread and love to chime in as a car enthusiast. I have a 2004 Sienna XLE running for the last 16 years with 80,000 miles on it. It runs really well except the excessive wind/road noise plus rattling sound inside the van (I guess it's from the seats). I already emailed the manufacturer and complimented on my van despite these issues lately. I specifically asked them to consider making a hybrid minivan. Anyway here is my wish list of the 2021 Toyota Sienna:

1) CD/MP3 player
2) Birdseye view camera on more trim lines and not just the top trim
3) Apple Carplay (I had it on my 2017 Sorento and it works great)
4) AWD
5) Hybrid/Plug in Hybrid
6) 8 seaters please.....on top trim..I want to fit as many people as possible for a top trim minivan (continue to leave room to store the middle seat at the trunk)

In summary I am tired of seeing so many Midsize SUVs with mini 3rd row seats. Why should we torture our valuable guests in our car like that unless they are small kids???

I hope the manufacturer pays attention to blogs like this. It's much better than spending money to conduct focus groups....

·
Registered
5 Posts
While we are all daydreaming, there are a few other changes I would like. Second row seats that fold flat into the floor would be nice, but only if they are more comfortable than those in the Pacifica. And AWD with a spare tire. And a hybrid version. Lots of engineering challenges here, I know, but this is supposed to be a wish list, right? And I just saw a spy shot of a supposed 2021 "mule" that eliminates the ridiculous and easily damaged "cowcatcher" front end in favor of something more durable looking. And the lounger seats on the high end models? Useless unless the front seat is pushed far forward, and the middle seat pushed so far back no one can sit in the third row. I know Toyota wants to make Sienna sexier, but remember the silk purse analogy. And there is really no need to do a makeover. I am on my 3rd Sienna and will be a minivan driver forever. Nothing does everything as well. I love my 2010 Limited AWD that has only 45K miles and had planned to keep it for a very long time, which I will still do unless at least most of these improvements materialize.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi New Here but I've noticed that some members have been rather accurate in their predictions the last couple years about the update.

So...... Two Questions:

1: What are the odds Toyota announces a 2021 remodel before Winter?
2: What are the odds Toyota releases a 2021 remodel before Winter?

Context: My lease is up in December and I'm looking at the Sienna as a replacement for my Edge.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't think you'll see 2021 models available for delivery until after Jan. 1, 2020. I remember reading somewhere that a vehicle's model year production run can only have a single January 1. If the 2021 models were delivered in December, 2019, the rule would be violated, since the production run would include 1/1/2020 and 1/1/2021.

·
Registered
113 Posts
1: What are the odds Toyota announces a 2021 remodel before Winter?
2: What are the odds Toyota releases a 2021 remodel before Winter?

Context: My lease is up in December and I'm looking at the Sienna as a replacement for my Edge.
My information is that you won’t be able to order a 2021 Sienna until middle / end of April 2020.
My guess (based on that date) is that the announcement may come at 2020 Chicago auto show, or possibly 2019 LA show.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My information is that you won’t be able to order a 2021 Sienna until middle / end of April 2020.

My guess (based on that date) is that the announcement may come at 2020 Chicago auto show, or possibly 2019 LA show.
Wouldn't the 2020 New York Auto Show also be an option for the announcement because it's basically from April 7 to 19? Or is that too late since you're saying that you can start ordering the new Sienna in April 2020?

https://www.autoshowny.com/about/

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
As soon as it's known whether or not Auto Stop-Start will be on the redesign, I'd plan to buy a 2019 or 2020 model soon in order to avoid the next generation for as long as possible.

My only experience with that type of system was on a rental 2018 Chevy Traverse, and it was quite annoying.

The "kicking" on-and-off reminded me of the way transmissions in old cars would slip when the fluid is low.

Admittedly, I'm an aging Baby Boomer that's resistant to change, and perhaps Auto Stop-Start may not bother other people as much as it bugs me! :frown:

·
Registered
135 Posts
As soon as it's known whether or not Auto Stop-Start will be on the redesign, I'd plan to buy a 2019 or 2020 model soon in order to avoid the next generation for as long as possible.

My only experience with that type of system was on a rental 2018 Chevy Traverse, and it was quite annoying.

The "kicking" on-and-off reminded me of the way transmissions in old cars would slip when the fluid is low.

Admittedly, I'm an aging Baby Boomer that's resistant to change, and perhaps Auto Stop-Start may not bother other people as much as it bugs me! :frown:
I believe the auto stop start can be disabled. I test drove a 2017 Highlander which had that feature and I disliked it too. It felt kind of unnerving when you let go of the brake to feel the car start. If my memory serves me correctly, the salesman told me it can be disabled.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I believe the auto stop start can be disabled./QUOTE]

Hopefully permanently!
Unfortunately it looks like can only be disabled for the current ignition cycle. In other words, once you start the car you can press a button to disable it but when you start the car the next time, it is active again and you must disable it again. This link explains it in more detail.

https://www.reliabletoyotamo.com/blog/2019/march/12/how-to-disable-toyota-auto-start-stop.htm

·
Registered
135 Posts
Youtube suggested this video on the new 2020 Toyota Granvia to be sold in Australia. It looks like a cross between a Toyota Alphard and the new Lexus LM minivan. I'm wondering if this gives us an idea of what the 2021 Sienna interior will look like.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Does Toyo make high-roof vans for other markets? Interesting that they show quite a few of them in the animation starting around the 1:30 mark.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Does Toyo make high-roof vans for other markets? Interesting that they show quite a few of them in the animation starting around the 1:30 mark.
The U.S. gets only a fraction of the models that Toyota manufactures. Here's a photo of the 2019 Toyota Hiace. Want to buy a garbage truck? Toyota makes 'em.

2019 Toyota Hiace highroof.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All - first post here and as a proud dad of 3 boys, I can't wait for the 2021 Sienna to make its debut! Anymore insider info :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
My 4th gen Sienna wish list:

• AWD w/spare tire
  • fold flat 2nd row seats
  • non-sloping roof to improve rear headroom (and appearance)
  • no chrome window trim (my #1 most hated design choice)
  • rear wiper attached below the window (hate the drip from the top mounted wiper)
  • longer factory roof rails

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
My 4th gen Sienna wish list:

• AWD w/spare tire
  • fold flat 2nd row seats
  • non-sloping roof to improve rear headroom (and appearance)
  • no chrome window trim (my #1 most hated design choice)
  • rear wiper attached below the window (hate the drip from the top mounted wiper)
  • longer factory roof rails
I doubt it will happen but I wish for a full size spare tire in all Sienna - especially after having three flat tires including two ruined tires in the past month with one of the two ruined tires happening far from home and requiring an emergency purchase of a full size off-brand tire.

Fold flat 2nd row seats? Have you ridden in Chrysler and Dodge vans? Their "stow'n go" second row seats are horribly uncomfortable. I doubt that it is possible to design comfortable "disappearing" second row seats. The "long slide" 2nd row seats in our '14 Sienna are critical for carrying elderly relatives. A Chicago Tribune reported a few years back that the average age of a minivan purchaser was nearly 60.

Improve rear headroom? The 2nd row in my '14 Sienna Limited with its rear sunroof and lower headliner still has over two inches more headroom than the rear seat in my first Lexus LS with the 3rd row Sienna seat having the same headroom as that old 1990 Lexus. I'm a tad over 6 feet tall and I can sit in the 3rd row without my head touching the roof without needing to recline the seat.

I just went to my garage to search for "chrome window trim" on my '14 Limited but can't find any. I wouldn't mind if it did have some though. Did a previous owner add chrome window trim to yours?

The hidden rear wiper is such a wonderful design. I appreciate it every time I see someone at the drive-through car wash filling out a claim form for his damaged rear wiper or reattaching a rear wiper blade that was torn off his vehicle. I've wondered if the car wash really pays for all the damage that happens there. I always use the manual "wand" bays - never the drive-through. And I don't seem to have your drip problem.

The gen 3 roof rails clearly aren't long enough for many people but I would rather have multiple (three or four) built-in mounting points along the roof edges that eliminate the need for roof rails and give people a choice on where to position crossbars. Mercedes has been using this type of roof rack attachment design since around 1980. Our last two Honda sedans had similar roof rack attachment points but Honda didn't sell the racks in the U.S. The video at about 4:07 at the following link shows mounting a Mercedes roof rack of this type:

·
Registered
121 Posts
If these ppics are accurate, the 2021 doesn't look too much different then the current generation. Maybe a little longer?

I will check it out when it hits the dealer, but I feel content that I made the right decision buying the 19'.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If these ppics are accurate, the 2021 doesn't look too much different then the current generation. Maybe a little longer?

I will check it out when it hits the dealer, but I feel content that I made the right decision buying the 19'.
Those are spy shots of a test mule not the full car. They put the current Sienna body on the new TNGA platform. That's why it doesn't look like the body fits properly. Here's an article about those spy shots.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I really hope Toyota gives us both an SE trim and an XSE trim in the 2021 Sienna like they have in the current Camry. The XSE trim should replace the SE Premium trim and provide some extra features. When I got my 2018 SE with the preferred package I knew I'd be giving up some features that are in the XLE but I wanted the better handling and I liked the exterior differences of the SE.

61 - 80 of 394 Posts