Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I think they made a mistake with the model year. The nightshade edition was available in the 2020 model year.

Edit: Here's the Toyota press release announcing the nightshade edition being added to the 2020 Sienna.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I reached out to a person in MarComm that was listed in the Press section of Toyota's website. She confirmed that the press release was incorrect and was meant for the '20 Sienna.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We don't mind -we are going to wait until this winter to look at purchasing a 21 Sienna ... If we don't like what we see we will likely get a 2020 Sienna ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are there any pics of possible future generation Sienna? My 1st toyota mini-van was the '91 Previa LE Dual sunroof, and was the best looking mini-van of futuristic looking mini-van. I kept this for 10 yrs, and very disappointed on the next mini-van by toyota, 1st gen Sienna, and opted to go with the 00 MPV. The 2nd generation Sienna was much better design, and I replaced my MPV for the 2nd generation Sienna for 2004 XLE. Had the best gas mileage. the 3rd generation 2011 Sienna was short inventory due to the disaster in Japan, but I love my 2011 Sienna XLE FWD. I found that the toyota audio/electronics/Navi outdated with other models. Toyota I am wishing the 4th generation to be cool looking like the previa, with great gas mileage like the 2nd generation sienna, and AWD-E and hybird would be ideal. IMO...The last couple years, or later year of the 3rd generation Sienna 2018+ don't look cool and interior of the dash look cheap, make the future interior dash like the Lexus UX material and looks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We just bought a 2015 AWD Limited and will not be in the market for a new vehicle for several more years. So, my main wish for the 4th gen Sienna is an improved (larger) brake system that can be swapped into our 3rd gens. Will probably be awhile before we have any intel on that though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Let’s see the dang thing already! My buddy’s elite odyssey that I scoped this weekend has me itching to see some new van.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Let’s see the dang thing already! My buddy’s elite odyssey that I scoped this weekend has me itching to see some new van.
If your buddy's Odyssey is between a 2018 and 2020 then it was recently recalled for a fire risk.

·
Registered
940 Posts
There won't be another Sienna. New minivan sales are rapidly shrinking, much like station wagons in the 80's and 90's. Toyota will continue to sell the Sienna until it is no longer profitable, then cut it from the lineup. See: FJ Cruiser, Matrix, Tundra, T100.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There won't be another Sienna. New minivan sales are rapidly shrinking, much like station wagons in the 80's and 90's. Toyota will continue to sell the Sienna until it is no longer profitable, then cut it from the lineup. See: FJ Cruiser, Matrix, Tundra, T100.
Maybe you should read this entire thread which contains links to the 2021 Sienna spy shots before stating that "there won't be another Sienna". Toyota also has a deal to provide Siennas to Uber for their autonomous vehicle development.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As I stated previously we don't know what Toyota will do. It is all speculation until Toyota corporate makes an announcement on the new Sienna. Just because mules have been seen testing doesn't mean that a vehicle can't be cancelled. A number of manufacturers have done this previously. Building a mule is not as expensive as re-tooling an entire assembly line for new model production and that hasn't happened yet. Previous post on extra capacity at the plant as proof that a new generation Sienna will be built is an assumption as well. The extra capacity could accommodate the new Venza (more SUV like) that is also rumored or another model based on the TNG platform. The fact they have an "agreement" with Uber also doesn't mean anything as it is not a contract to actually build and supply but an agreement only.

I hope that it is true and we will see a new Sienna, hopefully announced at the next major auto show for late year intro but who knows. I also hope that it's not true that it will be a hybrid only Sienna as in my opinion that will be the end of the Sienna as the sales #s will not justify to keep producing it. I will definitely be in line to buy a new model Sienna but ONLY if it has a ICE engine option and not strictly hybrid only.

Based on delays / push back of the Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser / Lexus LX and a number of other models it truly is an unknown what the status is of some of Toyota models. The Tundra was beyond mule testing stage and now it has been delayed from a '21 model to a '22/23 model for unknown reasons. It makes you wonder what Toyota is doing ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Possibly these newer models (Tundra, Sequoia, etc.) have been delayed in order to electrify/hybridize them?
That would kind of make sense, as they need to have some kind of edge.... and this would provide an edge over all the current ICE only competition at this point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Possibly these newer models (Tundra, Sequoia, etc.) have been delayed in order to electrify/hybridize them?
That would kind of make sense, as they need to have some kind of edge.... and this would provide an edge over all the current ICE only competition at this point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Not sure for the reason for the delays. On couple of the YouTube channels that have inside information apparently the Land Cruiser will no longer be sold in the US market. The Lexus LX570 (based on LC) may be cancelled as well. The plans for the new Tundra was to have a hybrid engine option along with a new V8 (most likely direct and port injection). The hybrid power plant was to be based on the Lexus LC 500h but would come with a turbo (or twin turbo) with over 450 hp and most likely a 10 speed trans. The announcement was to be in 2020 as a 2021 model, with the Sequoia release the following year based on the new Tundra. Now the Tundra has been pushed back until 2021/2022 at earliest and no news on the Sequoia. Even the next gen Tacoma the leader in the mid-size segment has been delayed to 2024 or later time frame.

It will be interesting to watch what will happen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As I stated previously we don't know what Toyota will do. It is all speculation until Toyota corporate makes an announcement on the new Sienna. Just because mules have been seen testing doesn't mean that a vehicle can't be cancelled. A number of manufacturers have done this previously. Building a mule is not as expensive as re-tooling an entire assembly line for new model production and that hasn't happened yet. Previous post on extra capacity at the plant as proof that a new generation Sienna will be built is an assumption as well. The extra capacity could accommodate the new Venza (more SUV like) that is also rumored or another model based on the TNG platform. The fact they have an "agreement" with Uber also doesn't mean anything as it is not a contract to actually build and supply but an agreement only.

I hope that it is true and we will see a new Sienna, hopefully announced at the next major auto show for late year intro but who knows. I also hope that it's not true that it will be a hybrid only Sienna as in my opinion that will be the end of the Sienna as the sales #s will not justify to keep producing it. I will definitely be in line to buy a new model Sienna but ONLY if it has a ICE engine option and not strictly hybrid only.

Based on delays / push back of the Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser / Lexus LX and a number of other models it truly is an unknown what the status is of some of Toyota models. The Tundra was beyond mule testing stage and now it has been delayed from a '21 model to a '22/23 model for unknown reasons. It makes you wonder what Toyota is doing ??
The reason I think the 2021 redesigned Sienna is coming soon is because the 2020 model was released extremely early last year. It was available in April 2019 when I bought my used 2018 Sienna. Normally next year's models come out in September. If someone has an alternate plausible explanation of why the 2020 Sienna was released so early, I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Toyota would not have spent boatloads of $$$ ($1.3 billion dollar overhaul) at the Princeton Ind. Plant if the 21 Sienna wasn't going to be built. There will be 21 Sienna.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If your buddy's Odyssey is between a 2018 and 2020 then it was recently recalled for a fire risk.

Correct. But so what? They probably won't create horrible rattles/creaks like they did to our sliding doors when they did the recall on our Sienna... The new odyssey is still leagues better than the current sienna.

:D

Even the next gen Tacoma the leader in the mid-size segment has been delayed to 2024 or later time frame.

It will be interesting to watch what will happen.

Tacoma was new in 2016. The last gen went FOREVER. I wouldn't expect a new tacoma until 2024 anyway...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #175 (Edited)
The current generation Sienna is aging whereas the Odyssey was updated in 2018. Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. However, if you are a prospective buyer and are looking to buy soon, the Odyssey is a better buy, at least on paper (better in acceleration, safety, etc). See recent MotorTrend article comparing the two 2020 models. I would be concerned about the new 10 speed transmission on the Odyssey as I rather have an engine and transmission that has been proven. This may be why Odyssey ranked lower in reliability in the MT article (Kia's Sedona ranked #1). Hopefully Toyota will keep the current drivetrain in the upcoming Sienna.

Subjectively, I much prefer the look of the Sienna but that's a personal opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As mentioned ... we are holding off until the 2021 Sienna comes out. Our T/C has about 136,000 miles and seems to be doing well except for the electrical areas which is Chrysler's downfall. If we don't like the 2021 we will look for a 2019 or 2020 but ... I'm thinking we will like the 2121 especially if its a hybrid.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Correct. But so what? They probably won't create horrible rattles/creaks like they did to our sliding doors when they did the recall on our Sienna... The new odyssey is still leagues better than the current sienna.
I was just sharing information about the Odyssey recall for you to share with your friend.

Publications like Consumer Reports still rate the current Sienna higher than the new Odyssey. I still prefer the exterior styling of the Sienna SE over the Odyssey but the Odyssey dashboard is way nicer than the Sienna's which is really outdated. I hope the 2021 model gets a nice dashboard.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Unless you have actually owned the new Odyssey, you have no idea how bad a vehicle it really is. I purchased a brand new 2018 Odyssey and was so excited to take delivery of it. 15 months later, getting rid of that F*cking POS is the best automotive move I have ever done in my whole life. Also, I am not alone in the problems I have experienced with it, if you browse the Ody forum, you will see many owners with the same issues I experienced. The issue is so bad that Honda actually got rid of the power-train that was in my 2018 for the 2020 model year. In short, that Ody almost caused serious accidents for myself and my wife on 7 separate occasions. You can read about my experience and see other owner's experience in the thread below.

In addition to these problems, the Odyssey has many other little issues that I didn’t find out until owning it. For example, the middle row captain chairs are extremely uncomfortable. So much so that my kids refused to sit in the Ody for long trips. For our annual summer trip to Destin, Florida (10 hours from Houston), my teenage kids literally begged not to take the new Ody, but to take the old Sienna instead. The seat is designed in a way that the pivot point of the back of the seat to flip down flat agains the seat bottom is very high. So high that there is an extended padding or lumbar that pushes out on to your upper back. This causes to not really be able to lean back against the seat comfortable. And it is miserable on long trips. Just imagine wedging a little pillow on your upper back area that pushes that area of your body forward and try to sit like that for any long period of time. Also, the middle row seat bottom is so flat without any angle, that as you sit and try to lean you back against the seat back, you slowly slide forward and out of the seat. Seriously! There’s no angle to the bottom seat cushion like all other vehicles. The seat is just flat. The kids hated having to sit in the middle row. The 3rd row is great, but the middle row is horrible. Also, the vents are no longer in the roof for the rears. They are mounted lower on the B door piller. If you have kids in rear facing car seats, there’s no way to blow cold air on them in the hot summers. Horrible decision to move the air vents down so low on the door pillers. Also, the new Ody, Honda removed the second condenser for the rear AC. So the whole three rows are cooled with just 1 condenser as compared to the two ( one for front and one for rear) like in previous models and other brands. Needless to say the third row was not very comfortable in Houston’s how summers. On top of that, Honda also removed the fan that blows air for the second and third row vents. It uses just one fan in the front for all three rows. What this means is that since the kids are hot in the rear due to the weak AC designed mentioned, they like to blast the fan at max speed. Since there is just the front fan, it runs full force and uses ducts to block the front vents and blow all the way to the rear. This may not sound like much, but it’s really annoying to hear the LOUD fan in max speed all the time, even when the front vents are set to low. Especially on long trips at night. These are just a few of the stupid design decisions of the new Ody that unless you actually own one, you won’t know how crappy of a vehicle it really is. Remember, the grass always seems greener on the other side..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Toyota would not have spent boatloads of $$$ ($1.3 billion dollar overhaul) at the Princeton Ind. Plant if the 21 Sienna wasn't going to be built. There will be 21 Sienna.
I found this recent press release from Toyota about the info you mentioned that also implies continued production of the Sienna.

The key section of the article says the following. It only mentions that the Sequoia will cease production not the Sienna.

Toyota Indiana (Princeton)

TMMI will focus on production of mid-size SUVs and minivans including the Toyota Highlander, Highlander Hybrid and the Toyota Sienna. TMMI will cease production of the Toyota Sequoia by 2022.

·
Registered
970 Posts
This is just a speculation, Toyota delaying release of new cars/trucks/suv may be due to global economy slowing down due to Corona virus widespread in several countries, general public are more concern about their health than buying a new vehicle at the moment. Stock market is down and that hurts

161 - 180 of 219 Posts