Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My wife and I have been waiting about 3 months for a new 2021 Sienna, and today (One week before build date) the dealer emailed us saying somehow the order was changed to a limited trim. This wouldn't work out for us, so the dealer said they put in another order and that it should be built in about another 1.5 months. Does anyone have experience with dealerships and know if this is something that can legitimately happen? For both vehicles, he did provide a temporary vin that came up on Toyota's Vehicle spec site but I wasn't sure if those are just generic VINs available to any dealer, until the dealer gets an allotment of vehicles. He is giving us a deal, which it seems like in this market may be worth the wait, but I couldn't tell if he is just wasting our time. Not sure how long others waited, but we did put down a deposit and weren't sure how long we should trust before pulling out of the deal.

Any advice or other similar experiences would be appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi All,

My wife and I have been waiting about 3 months for a new 2021 Sienna, and today (One week before build date) the dealer emailed us saying somehow the order was changed to a limited trim. This wouldn't work out for us, so the dealer said they put in another order and that it should be built in about another 1.5 months. Does anyone have experience with dealerships and know if this is something that can legitimately happen? For both vehicles, he did provide a temporary vin that came up on Toyota's Vehicle spec site but I wasn't sure if those are just generic VINs available to any dealer, until the dealer gets an allotment of vehicles. He is giving us a deal, which it seems like in this market may be worth the wait, but I couldn't tell if he is just wasting our time. Not sure how long others waited, but we did put down a deposit and weren't sure how long we should trust before pulling out of the deal.

Thank you!
What trim was your order? Maybe the car did come in, but had a higher market adjusted offer from another buyer who happen to be at the dealer that day or had been communicating with another salesperson. The dealer I went to two weeks ago, show me a platinum trim that someone else had ordered but didn’t pick up yet. Told me to make them an offer that was in range of their 10g market adjustment add on. The platinum trim with options was msrp @ 54g, gray color. I didn’t like the color and wasn’t going to pay over msrp so I walked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What trim was your order? Maybe the car did come in, but had a higher market adjusted offer from another buyer who happen to at the dealer that day or been communicating with another salesperson. The dealer I went to two weeks ago, show me a platinum trim that someone else had ordered but didn’t pick up yet. Told me to make them an offer that was in range of their 10g market adjustment add on. The platinum trim with options was msrp 54g, gray color. I didn’t like the color and wasn’t going to pay over msrp so I walked.
We wanted an XSE but honestly were indifferent between that and the XLE. The new Sienna the dealer sent us is very similar to the XSE but is now just an XLE. The tough part is that I don’t know the inner workings of the dealer, so it is possible someone walked in and said they would buy the XSE over MSRP but there is no way for me to find out what really happened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,

Thank you!
I think this is shady as well. I put in my "order" which was really a vehicle allocated to the dealer. They changed colors and other packages without issue a month before the build date. I would try to find another dealer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sounds to me like they found a buyer who’d pay more for your build and tried switching you into something else in a bait and switch. Even if not true, there’s a lot in this scenario which doesn’t pass the smell test

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, Toyota doesn't really build your order; you wait for them to build a match.
So draw your own conclusion with this information. I know it sucks....
It didn't appear to work that way in 2014 when a Kansas City Toyota dealer (Molle Toyota) modified their existing order for a modestly equipped Shoreline Blue LE to turn it into my Blizzard Pearl Limited with all packages and a specific combination of accessories that were installed after the vehicle was assembled and before it was shipped. I watched a dealership make this change on the Toyota online ordering system one evening in March 2014. The Toyota dealership was able to track the vehicle through the order, acceptance, build and shipping process. It was delivered to the dealership 27 days later and I took possession the next day. The dealership was not tracking some sort of generic vehicle. They were tracking mine. Manufacture of my Sienna was delayed due to the factory having to get approval from the dealership to delete the receiver hitch I ordered. Once I approved the deletion, the factory accepted the order and scheduled assembly.

It might be more difficult or even impossible to do something like this early in a new model production since some trims and features may be in limited supply due to component availability constraints. It's not just Toyota dealing with these issues. I've been watching people report problems like this with GM during the past year as I wait for my new Corvette. Parts shortages and the pandemic have resulted in manufacturing delays with some people being bumped to the next model year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the responses! The dealer reached back out to assure me that this is the real deal, and that they will ensure it is built exactly as promised. Provided a build date of 8/20. They described the last order as a freak incident (they said the car was not built at all). Either way, I will give them one more shot because the deal they offered seems to be the best around. They are offering $3K off MSRP and a bump in my car’s trade in value, so it’s a tough deal to walk away from. Giving them the benefit of the doubt on the first mistake given how crazy things are in the supply chain etc… and we will see if we have a new van come early September!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi All,

Thank you!
Sigh. Your dealer decided to sell that Sienna to someone else for higher price. Of course the fact of it miraculously changing by itself to a different trim and now, oh no, you have to wait for another 1,5 months or maybe more, is pretty lousy excuse by a dealer. Seems like he is not even trying to cover it, and just doesn't' care if you will stay or go. This is the sad state of market today. This is why I just want to order Tesla directly from Tesla lol and avoid stealerships and their scam tactics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks all for the responses! The dealer reached back out to assure me that this is the real deal, and that they will ensure it is built exactly as promised. Provided a build date of 8/20. They described the last order as a freak incident (they said the car was not built at all). Either way, I will give them one more shot because the deal they offered seems to be the best around. They are offering $3K off MSRP and a bump in my car’s trade in value, so it’s a tough deal to walk away from. Giving them the benefit of the doubt on the first mistake given how crazy things are in the supply chain etc… and we will see if we have a new van come early September!
Wondering why the build isn’t a 2022. All dealers are saying orders now will be a 2022 model. You did get a good discount at the current market. Good luck with the car!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agreed. 3k off isn't anything to scoff at. Either the other buyer paid more than 3k premium for your prior van, or it was a true mistake somewhere along the chain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts