Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting the 2021 Sienna. As a 6'5" person, driver fit is a big priority when picking vehicles. It's normally not an issue for minivans. I did a quick test drive with a Platinum trim Sienna and I barely fit in. The seat can't be lowered too much because the battery is under the seat. And the sunroof took up some headroom. I sat quickly in the LE trim and fit a bit better without the sunroof. I was curious for other tall peoples' experiences with the 2021 Sienna.

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I think the 2021 Sienna is going to be too tight for you. If you are open to SUVs then you should look at the VW Atlas. My brother in law is 6' 6", and he picked the Atlas because it was the best fit for him. It's a great SUV too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam and I loved the seating position of the 2021 Sienna. I drove an XLE and not only did I find the seat comfortable for me (a rarity), but I could position it in a way that was comfortable for my arms and legs. Plus I had good visibility in all directions. In my own car my head is so near the roof that the RV mirror sometimes blocks cars on cross streets in front of me. I had no such trouble in the Sienna.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam and I loved the seating position of the 2021 Sienna. I drove an XLE and not only did I find the seat comfortable for me (a rarity), but I could position it in a way that was comfortable for my arms and legs. Plus I had good visibility in all directions. In my own car my head is so near the roof that the RV mirror sometimes blocks cars on cross streets in front of me. I had no such trouble in the Sienna.
Great idea including the inseam since torso fit and leg fit are quite different! I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam and while we only got our 2021 Sienna Limited a few days ago I've found it very comfortable, no complaints.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been looking at getting the 2021 Sienna. As a 6'5" person, driver fit is a big priority when picking vehicles. It's normally not an issue for minivans. I did a quick test drive with a Platinum trim Sienna and I barely fit in. The seat can't be lowered too much because the battery is under the seat. And the sunroof took up some headroom. I sat quickly in the LE trim and fit a bit better without the sunroof. I was curious for other tall peoples' experiences with the 2021 Sienna.

Thanks!
I’m 6’2” with long legs and only Toyota Tundras are comfortable for me. Rest of the Toyota’s I’ve driven (Sienna, RAV4, 4runners) only support half my legs.

The rest of the line need thigh extensions, it’s one of the reasons I went with a Subaru Ascent over a Highlander

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I fit in the 3rd generation Sienna...but due to my height (6'3) and horrible knees, I need to keep my legs almost straight. Are you guys saying the 4th generation Sienna has worse driver legroom than the 3rd? In that case I'd have to get a Sedona unfortunately. It's the only other van I know fit in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m 6’2” with long legs and only Toyota Tundras are comfortable for me. Rest of the Toyota’s I’ve driven (Sienna, RAV4, 4runners) only support half my legs.

The rest of the line need thigh extensions, it’s one of the reasons I went with a Subaru Ascent over a Highlander
The tundra has the best legroom and seating position i've ever sat in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We've got 2011 w/out sunroof, plenty of headroom. I did a quick fit check in a 2021 w/ sunroof (forget the trim), I can fit but its clearly much closer - no room for a top hat.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Thanks!
I have the same problem! I'm 6'6" and I couldn't believe the lack of headroom in the front passenger seat of an XLE at the lowest seat height. We need to check out an LE that doesn't have a sunroof to see what the headroom is like for comparison. It's supposed to have an extra couple inches.

It may end up being a deal breaker, as I have plenty of room in the new Odyssey. We're waiting for the 2022 Kia Sedona/Carnival to make our final decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks!
I'm 6'4 and could not even sit in the 2021 models with a sunroof.
I did kind of fit in an LE,but didn't want a bottom trim level.
So, 3 weeks ago I went and bought a brand new 2020 Limited Premium AWD.
Problem solved.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tried the 2nd row at the dealer today and was pretty disappointed how little headroom there is, but with double the MPG of the nearest competitor, AWD, Toyota reliability, I can live with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think seat recline must have a lot to do with this because both in the case of headroom and in the case of the headrest angle, I've found myself not at all bothered by something that definitely is an issue for people of similar height. I had my wife snap a couple of pics of me in the driver's seat of our '21 Limited AWD. I realized that the perspective was hard to make out so I put a gum container on top of my head.

That container is 2.25 in diameter and 3.75" long. It wouldn't fit in the long dimension but it fit (barely) in the short. I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam so relatively long in the torso but I'd say my standard driving position is relatively more reclined. I'm sure that's a very personal preference for each of us but I thought I'd mention that if you like the Sienna but are running into a headroom issue it's at least worth playing with the recline and the steering wheel position to see whether that's a comfortable option. I've been sitting this way for years and I regularly do 10-hour drives with nary and neck crick.

Edited to add . . . the photo . . . :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think seat recline must have a lot to do with this because both in the case of headroom and in the case of the headrest angle, I've found myself not at all bothered by something that definitely is an issue for people of similar height. I had my wife snap a couple of pics of me in the driver's seat of our '21 Limited AWD. I realized that the perspective was hard to make out so I put a gum container on top of my head.

That container is 2.25 in diameter and 3.75" long. It wouldn't fit in the long dimension but it fit (barely) in the short. I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam so relatively long in the torso but I'd say my standard driving position is relatively more reclined. I'm sure that's a very personal preference for each of us but I thought I'd mention that if you like the Sienna but are running into a headroom issue it's at least worth playing with the recline and the steering wheel position to see whether that's a comfortable option. I've been sitting this way for years and I regularly do 10-hour drives with nary and neck crick.
Thanks for the insight. Were you going to include the photos in your post?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feedback! I'll head back to the dealership to play around with different seating positions in both the LE and XLE.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! I'll head back to the dealership to play around with different seating positions in both the LE and XLE.
Excellent, hope it works for you! I will say this is another nice aspect of the super-far-ranging second-row seats. I'm tall and my wife is tall so not surprisingly our two teenagers keep seeming to get taller. My very comfortable slight recline nevertheless comes at the expense of some second-row seating. In my Lexus the seat behind me is always second choice but in this Sienna it doesn't matter cause they can both scoot 9' back from me :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts