Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The current Sienna IIHS safety scores are not good, and my second choice Odyssey has some electronic reliability issues and have to spend $10k more than I like to avoid the plagued 9 speed transmission to get the 10 speed. So we are holding off until next year.

Typically new models are revealed at the Detroit, Chicago, New York, or LA auto shows. Gen 3 2011 Sienna was revealed in Dec 2009 at the LA auto show and went on sale February 2010. Here’s hoping history repeats itself and is available early next year:

LA Auto Show- November 22, 2019
Chicago Auto Show- February 8, 2020
New York Auto Show- April 10, 2020
Detroit (North American)- June 8, 2020

·
Registered
28 Posts
Current thinking point to a production date for the MY2021 Sienna in December 2019 (should be in showrooms in January/Feb 2020) , which would suggest a reveal sometime in Summer or Fall of 2019.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The current Sienna IIHS safety scores are not good, and my second choice Odyssey has some electronic reliability issues and have to spend $10k more than I like to avoid the plagued 9 speed transmission to get the 10 speed. So we are holding off until next year.

Typically new models are revealed at the Detroit, Chicago, New York, or LA auto shows. Gen 3 2011 Sienna was revealed in Dec 2009 at the LA auto show and went on sale February 2010. Here’s hoping history repeats itself and is available early next year:

LA Auto Show- November 22, 2019
Chicago Auto Show- February 8, 2020
New York Auto Show- April 10, 2020
Detroit (North American)- June 8, 2020
Getting closer to November...any news? I’m in the same boat...almost bought an Odyssey a few months ago and waited for the 2020 to be released when the 10 speed was added to all models. Infotainment, transmission and other strange issues and the frequency of lemon law discussions turned me onto the Sienna. I’ve watched the crash test video many, many times comparing to other vehicles and decided I just can’t drive knowing the risk (even if it’s most likely not going to happen)...so I’m waiting for the 2021 with some reservation about buying a first year redesign. It’s been more than a year of researching and It’s getting harder and harder to imagine waiting for 2 more years. Odyssey was just confirmed to get a mid cycle refresh next year as well...but I’m still leaning towards the Sienna for reliability.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven’t seen anymore new news when they are going to debut the 2021. I did see that Honda put the 10 speed in all trims but I’m still not as interested. Consumer reports has really beating the Odyssey up on reliability even with the 10 speed it seems. The 2021 Sienna will be all new and will be released sometime next year, I was just hoping for debut at LA in November cause that would likely mean release early next year. The latest we are trying to buy is April next year. I’m going to the LA Auto show on 11/25 since I live in SoCal. Would be great if the 2021 model was there. I’ve also been interested in the Pacifica Hybrid if the 2021 Sienna isnt out by then, but the problems on that forum scare me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My information is that orders for 2020 Siennas will be taken through April 10, 2020. Orders for the next year normally start 2 weeks after the cutoff for the prior year (with start of production a month or 2 later), but this is not available for sure yet. Consequently, I would more likely expect either Chicago or NY as the debut for the 2021.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My information is that orders for 2020 Siennas will be taken through April 10, 2020. Orders for the next year normally start 2 weeks after the cutoff for the prior year (with start of production a month or 2 later), but this is not available for sure yet. Consequently, I would more likely expect either Chicago or NY as the debut for the 2021.
Thanks for the info. I think I seen in another thread someone stated May 2020. I agree it would be more likely to debut at Chicago or NY under that assumption.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven’t seen anymore new news when they are going to debut the 2021. I did see that Honda put the 10 speed in all trims but I’m still not as interested. Consumer reports has really beating the Odyssey up on reliability even with the 10 speed it seems. The 2021 Sienna will be all new and will be released sometime next year, I was just hoping for debut at LA in November cause that would likely mean release early next year. The latest we are trying to buy is April next year. I’m going to the LA Auto show on 11/25 since I live in SoCal. Would be great if the 2021 model was there. I’ve also been interested in the Pacifica Hybrid if the 2021 Sienna isnt out by then, but the problems on that forum scare me.
Awesome! Please post if you see it there! Car and Driver and other sources are saying it will be out late next year...Spring would be way better if it happens to come sooner. I also looked at the Pacifica (non-hybrid) and seriously considered buying one but joined the forum and read enough to know that it has a lot of problems. Owners of both the Odyssey and Pacifica said don’t get one (the newest models of both). I’m really wary of a Chrysler product and the hybrids are supposed to be more prone to problems especially compared to Toyota.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have some new information. Cutoff for ordering 2020 Siennas remains April 10, 2020. However, ordering for 2021 will not start until July 1, 2020 (no orders in May or June). This means that production will probably start mid-late September, with deliveries probably in October 2020. Consequently, the inventory pipeline will be significantly reduced over summer 2020 - if you want a particular 2020 configuration, don't wait until August / September.
I still would expect a reveal of the 2021 at either Chicago or New York.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks dbthompson for the update! I’m leaning toward just getting a 2020 since I can’t wait that long and I want an LE with the LE preferred package which is harder than I thought it would be to find on lots. Mainly the only shortcoming I don’t like about the 2020 is the crash ratings. MPGs okay compared to current vans but I’d suspect 2021 will have a hybrid. I’ll still be at the LA show but it’s definitely looking like 2021 MY debut will be early next year or Spring.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I still would expect a reveal of the 2021 at either Chicago or New York.
.... or at the Los Angeles auto show in less than two weeks. :)

The New York auto show beginning April 10 would be awfully late for unveiling a vehicle that's available for ordering only 80 days later on July 1. Toyota usually does it sooner although not necessarily as early as what was done when the 2020 Highlander was introduced at the last New York show. The buzz is that delivery of the 2020 Highlander starts in January which would be about 8 months after the unveiling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
.... or at the Los Angeles auto show in less than two weeks. :)

The New York auto show beginning April 10 would be awfully late for unveiling a vehicle that's available for ordering only 80 days later on July 1. Toyota usually does it sooner although not necessarily as early as what was done when the 2020 Highlander was introduced at the last New York show. The buzz is that delivery of the 2020 Highlander starts in January which would be about 8 months after the unveiling.
What l I have on Toyota at LA is about the 2021 RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid, 2021 Mirai, and 2021 Avalon AWD (though I'm happy to be proven wrong / have things change ...). Media days for LA start next Monday (less than 1 week!).

The Highlander was introduced in NY in 2019, with ordering starting mid-September for the gas version, and production starting up later this month (deliveries late December or early January). The redesigned RAV4 (2019 model) was shown in New York in 2018, with similar dates as the Highlander for 2018.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
What l I have on Toyota at LA is about the 2021 RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid, 2021 Mirai, and 2021 Avalon AWD (though I'm happy to be proven wrong / have things change ...). Media days for LA start next Monday (less than 1 week!).
I'm not wanting to prove anyone wrong. It's fun to speculate/guess what auto companies are going to do. I've been wrong at least once but I can't remember when that was. ;)

I thought about going to the L.A. show but I wasn't enthused enough to work around Thanksgiving week commitments and it's a long way just for that. I may do the Chicago show since it is a super easy flight from Kansas City and there are former co-workers there I would like to see while we are all still above ground.

Now if Sienna Chat moderator fibber2 commits to attending the New York (or Chicago) auto show, I'll make a point of being there just to harass him.

It's good to see AWD return to the Camry and now be on the Avalon. That should help sedan sales.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks dbthompson for the update! I’m leaning toward just getting a 2020 since I can’t wait that long and I want an LE with the LE preferred package which is harder than I thought it would be to find on lots. Mainly the only shortcoming I don’t like about the 2020 is the crash ratings. MPGs okay compared to current vans but I’d suspect 2021 will have a hybrid. I’ll still be at the LA show but it’s definitely looking like 2021 MY debut will be early next year or Spring.
I completely agree...October sounds like a long way off, even to me who is in no particular hurry. This date is in agreement with what someone who works the factory mentioned on FaceBook, that the 2021 will start being produced next September. Still planning on waiting to hear more news and see more images of the 2021 before making next move but 2020 is starting to sound more feasible. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Powertrain for newly revealed Rav 4 plugin hybrid is 302 HP with included All Wheel Drive. This is more than enough power for an AWD 2021 Sienna. I am hoping they offer this type of PHEV version Sienna right off the bat. I would put that on my list immediately. Here's hoping!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Getting closer to November...any news? I’m in the same boat...almost bought an Odyssey a few months ago and waited for the 2020 to be released when the 10 speed was added to all models. Infotainment, transmission and other strange issues and the frequency of lemon law discussions turned me onto the Sienna. I’ve watched the crash test video many, many times comparing to other vehicles and decided I just can’t drive knowing the risk (even if it’s most likely not going to happen)...so I’m waiting for the 2021 with some reservation about buying a first year redesign. It’s been more than a year of researching and It’s getting harder and harder to imagine waiting for 2 more years. Odyssey was just confirmed to get a mid-cycle refresh next year as well...but I’m still leaning towards the Sienna for reliability.
Same here and I'm tired of waiting. It's almost like Toyota is saying we dare you to go somewhere else. I would if I wasn't hesitant about the Odyssey and I don't want to get an SUV because minivans are more practical in my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@Samlam25

Absolutely right.....for utility, praticality, and usability, nothing beats a mini-van. SUV's are more for looks. I'm way past the point of caring about looks.
Same here you guys...I’ve sadly been looking for a newer model minivan for a year and a half. My kids have grown and will be 12 and 10 next year and I was hoping to have one during their childhood years...which is growing shorter. We have a fairly old (2005) Acura MDX...hubby’s car he won’t part with and the 3rd row is not minivan quality or size with no storage when lifted. I’m not particularly interested in an SUV. My car is great but only 2 rows. Feel the need to decide soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Powertrain for newly revealed Rav 4 plugin hybrid is 302 HP with included All Wheel Drive. This is more than enough power for an AWD 2021 Sienna. I am hoping they offer this type of PHEV version Sienna right off the bat. I would put that on my list immediately. Here's hoping!
I was pleasantly surprised by the announcement that it was getting 302 hp and 39 miles EV range. That power train could go into next gen Sienna. Toyota is on contract to deliver hybrid Siennas to Uber in 2021, and the battery capacity to power Ubers equipment seems more likely a PHEV with a big battery like this RAV4 Prime which I believe is 16kWh+ size.

The other options that are in existence would be the 2020 Highlander Hybrid powertrain at 240hp or the 2019 Highlander Hybrid powertrain at 306hp. Honestly 240 seems low in today’s modern minivans.
With Waymo using Pacifica Hybrid Plugins with 16kwh batteries my guess would be Toyota uses a PHEV power train like the RAV4 Prime due to large capacity battery compared to regular Hybrids which use smaller capacity batteries.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts