Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2021 air conditioning is weak. It seems to struggle to cool down the car. I don't notice a huge difference between when the "A/C" button is on vs off. I've noticed this issue since we got the car earlier this year, but it wasn't as noticeable in the winter.

We are in ABQ, so 80-90 degree weather already and sunny.

Is this just how minivans are? Maybe with the huge windows and windshields, it's hard to keep it cool with hot sunny weather?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried disabling eco setting? Both the ac and the van itself have eco modes and both will affect cooling power. Would try putting them in regular mode and see if there’s an improvement
Thanks for the tip! That is probably the issue. We always have it in eco mode.

·
Premium Member
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
129 Posts
Praise the Lord, we have had no problems so far. In Virginia it does get very hot, and ordinarily it's also humid.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you want to keep the hybrid system in ECO model, you can disable ECO mode just for the AC from the HVAC app on the center display. Not sure whether you would have to do this each time the car is started or not.
Good info. I did not know there was an eco mode in the AC other than the Eco in the drive mode that can affect the AC and I probably would not have looked on the center display. Dang, where is that thick owners manual thing buried somewhere in here.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Good info. I did not know there was an eco mode in the AC other than the Eco in the drive mode that can affect the AC and I probably would not have looked on the center display. Dang, where is that thick owners manual thing buried somewhere in here.
You should consider downloading the pdf version of the manual so you can do a word search on the computer. This really helps since the manual is so poorly organized. I just tried a search for "air conditioning" and after a few clicks ended up on page 335 which described the eco mode for air conditioning.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You should consider downloading the pdf version of the manual so you can do a word search on the computer. This really helps since the manual is so poorly organized. I just tried a search for "air conditioning" and after a few clicks ended up on page 335 which described the eco mode for air conditioning.
Thanks, the search function should be really helpful for quick reference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Sarah_mcc, did disabling the A/C ECO mode help? I’m in PHX and was surprised to read your post. I’m sorry to say that the A/C has pleasantly surprised me, it works great throughout the van. We’re always in the ECO drive mode. Not sure about the A/C ECO mode.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to keep the hybrid system in ECO model, you can disable ECO mode just for the AC from the HVAC app on the center display. Not sure whether you would have to do this each time the car is started or not.
You have to do this each time. I haven't figured out a way to permanently disable it, but not sure I'd want to do that anyways.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Sarah_mcc, did disabling the A/C ECO mode help? I’m in PHX and was surprised to read your post. I’m sorry to say that the A/C has pleasantly surprised me, it works great throughout the van. We’re always in the ECO drive mode. Not sure about the A/C ECO mode.
Yes, disabling the A/C eco mode does help. I'm still deciding whether it helps enough / totally fixes the issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm in Tucson, where temperatures are over 100° F now, and the AC is keeping up so far. We're supposed to get to 111° this weekend. We'll see how well it does.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Take the van out of eco mode for awhile and see if it improves. If not I did see in the maintenance repair thread that one owner did have an issue and the dealer replaced his radiator to fix it.

I live in Florida and have a black Sienna. It gets hot. I'd say the eco mode keeps up until the outside air temp hits 90 (very humid here) or so. I have gone into the ac settings via the display and it allows the AC to operate fully (not be limited for mpg) and provides good cooling.

As others have said the AC does default to eco mode on start up while the van is in eco mode. Put the van into normal or sport to stop that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts